"The God Test"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 04:49 PM
"The God Test"
So i was surfing threw youtube as I often do when I came upon this thing called "The God Test". It's a pamphlet that has 20 questions. 10 for Atheists 10 for believers. They even sell a book for $4.99 what a deal!

Just what everyone loves doing having random people talk to you about God.

I'm did a quick search for the questions and they're all very broad, and basic. Anyone could think these questions up in there head.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
19-11-2015, 03:29 AM
RE: "The God Test"
I would love to hear the atheist questions for that test.
[+] 1 user Likes ronalddarcey's post
19-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Question 8:
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?

Question 9:
Do you swear allegiance to the caliphate?

Question 10:
Would you like to go to Paris?

Morondog, this is your backyard ... FETCH!

Wink

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
19-11-2015, 08:27 AM
I really wish high schools would teach mandatory classes on myth--specifically explaining where biblical stories came from--from a scholarly perspective. Things like the God Test are so effective in converting some people because they work on fear and lack of knowledge of the Bible.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
19-11-2015, 08:53 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
19-11-2015, 10:55 AM
(19-11-2015 08:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

I've never once thought that I want everyone else's favorite color to be blue because mine is blue. I think she was really trying to soft sell that "I want everyone to be Christian" answer without coming off creepy.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-11-2015, 10:02 PM
I wonder how many people have lost faith because of this test, lol? Man, only in this world.
20-11-2015, 02:02 AM
(19-11-2015 03:29 AM)ronalddarcey Wrote:  I would love to hear the atheist questions for that test.
  1. Do you believe in God? No. And any "higher power" is probably an alien species that has advanced higher up the evolutionary ladder than mankind. A chimpanzee is to us as we are to this higher power.
  2. What are the main reasons you don't believe in God? To paraphrase LaPlace "I have no need of that hypotheses." All the answers are there without God. You may not like the answers but that doesn't change the truth.
  3. Do you find any ultimate purpose or meaning in the universe? No.
  4. How do you account for the laws of nature? Why must I account for the laws of nature? Science is still in the process of discovering those laws. And the "laws of nature" are not laws in the same sense that "man's laws" or "God's laws" are laws. The former simply describe the ways the universe behaves. That latter are edicts telling us how to behave. To ignore this distinction is the fallacy of equivocation.
  5. Does evil exist? Evil is a man-made construct. Evil is that which threatens our survival or well being, either as an individual or as a species. It is subject to change and interpretation. There are those who would accuse me of being evil simply because I don't believe.
  6. What is the basis of your morality? Evolution. My morality is a set of behaviors and internal feelings which have a survival benefit for our species and natural selection selected me and my ancestors for survival.
  7. Do you think human life is special compared to animal or plant life? We are at the top of the food chain, so yes.
  8. How certain are you that God does not exist? 6.9 on the Dawkins scale which ranges from 1 to 7.
  9. Have you ever explored what the Bible says about these questions? Yes. I've read the entire Bible and studied parts of it. With the exception of a very few historical events which have been archeologically verified (The existence of a few Israeli, Babylonian, and other kings), it's a book of fairy tales.
  10. May I pray for you? I can't stop you.

Sapere aude
[+] 6 users Like f stop's post
20-11-2015, 06:16 AM
(19-11-2015 10:55 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 08:53 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

I've never once thought that I want everyone else's favorite color to be blue because mine is blue. I think she was really trying to soft sell that "I want everyone to be Christian" answer without coming off creepy.

Such wonderful things in our history were caused by that type of thinking.

Religion- An iron fist in a velvet glove.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-11-2015, 06:40 AM

1. Do you believe in God? No
  2. What are the main reasons you don't believe in God? I've seen no evidence that supports the claim that a god exists, let alone any particular god.
  3. Do you find any ultimate purpose or meaning in the universe? No; assuming an "ultimate purpose" exists or is needed only makes sense if you assume a god in the first place
  4. How do you account for the laws of nature? I don't. The "laws" are human descriptions of how things are and I see no reason to asume there has to be a "why" or a "who" behind them. That again smuggles god into the discussion as a requirement without any justification for doing so.
  5. Does evil exist? Not as a discrete entity. There are actions that I classify as evil because of their consequences but evil is not a physical thing, it is a concept.
  6. What is the basis of your morality? Empathy and selfishness. I want to be left alone to live as I choose and I respect the right of others to do the same. To maximize that ability we have to be willing to compromise and cooperate.
  7. Do you think human life is special compared to animal or plant life? Not objectively. I may value it more in most cases because it is more important to me but from the larger view there is nothing special about it.
  8. How certain are you that God does not exist? What god? For Yahweh, Zeus, Odin, Vishnu, and other gods that have been proposed I am as certain as I can be that they do not exist the same way I am sure that leprechauns and fairies do not exist. For the question of anything that might conceivably be classified as a god I am marginally less certain but we're still comfortably up over the 99% mark.
  9. Have you ever explored what the Bible says about these questions? Yes. I've read the bible and parts of other "holy" books as well as secular philosophy and there is nothing at all special about the bible. It has some decent teachings and has value as literature but it also contains much that is barbaric. I can take the parts that I find to be valuable while discarding what I find unsupportable including the supernatural claims.
  10. May I pray for you? You can waste your time in any manner you like that doesn't actively harm others (see question 6).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post