The God gene

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2014, 10:06 AM
The God gene
I often hear or read the response 'if you seek God, he will find you'. I have tried, genuinely tried to find this God ( along the same line, I tried to find ghosts and aliens and was even willing to entertain the idea of psychic abilities and of the afterlife) but...after all these years, nothing, nada. I started wondering if perhaps I was lacking the God gene (or the paranormal gene). What if that's it? What if some of us simply can't communicate with this entity?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2014, 10:41 AM
RE: The God gene
If so it's all the more reason to think god is an asshole...
04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I do not think genes work the way you think genes work. :/

Much cheers to all.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
04-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Maybe or maybe not. Just this week, the highly scientific site that is Cracked posted this article: 5 traits you think you control but totally don't

I love Cracked and I think it's hilarious, but I don't know how much there is to this article. In some ways it makes sense, but I don't know how definitive the findings are.
04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
(04-04-2014 11:18 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Maybe or maybe not. Just this week, the highly scientific site that is Cracked posted this article: 5 traits you think you control but totally don't

I love Cracked and I think it's hilarious, but I don't know how much there is to this article. In some ways it makes sense, but I don't know how definitive the findings are.

Actually seems legit...

Atir aissom atir imon
04-04-2014, 11:50 AM
(04-04-2014 10:06 AM)mknight Wrote:  I often hear or read the response 'if you seek God, he will find you'. I have tried, genuinely tried to find this God ( along the same line, I tried to find ghosts and aliens and was even willing to entertain the idea of psychic abilities and of the afterlife) but...after all these years, nothing, nada. I started wondering if perhaps I was lacking the God gene (or the paranormal gene). What if that's it? What if some of us simply can't communicate with this entity?

There is no God Gene. The idea is a reductionist pseuo-concept.
Multiple Genes and environmental factors are involved in belief - there cannot be such a simplistic approach as either have god gene or not have.

It is true that some people are more analytical and rational whilst others more emotive and less intellectual which will impact their beliefs which probably does have some genetic components.
The more rational intellectual type if theistic will end up becoming religious philosophers like Richard Swinburne whilst the secular type will become analytical philosophers like Bertrand Russell. Surely environmental factors will determine the direction each will move towards and sometimes these people are very similar to each other (eg someone may be christian but have an Aristotelian backbone to their beliefs and end up living much like a secular Aristotelian) .

Likewise with the highly emotive & less intellectual people the believing theists with be Pentecostal Baptist preachers and secularists direct their passion on some alternative target such as politics, sports team or nationalism as their "god".

However no one is "born" to believe in God. The contents of the belief have to come from culture.
Saying that some people may be more prone to certain types of cognitive bias such as falsely detecting & attributing patterns when non exist and therefore more likely to infer "god" as a designer of the universe whilst others under detect patterns and fail to link causes, leading to widespread skepticism even when patterns are genuine. (eg an anti-realism in science and denial of causation or any deeper patterns - post modernists relativists might end up in this category)

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post
04-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Then again - God might be a cruel bastard and Calvinist. Who says He has to be Benevolent ? Perhaps your born in original sin and God is not going to communicate with you however hard you try because you are just a disgusting sinner to God and your trying is another form of sin.
What makes you so special for divine communication ? God knows you inside out and can smell your insincerity even if you think you are sincere. The sin itself deceives you - so you cannot trust your own sense of pretending to be sincere. You are literally sinking in sin and nonredeemable except for exceptional unearned Grace which can come at any moment from the Lord your God.
If God did speak to you, your arrogance would grow and you might become more destructive to the cosmic order - so God is benevolent by hiding from you.

...or you can prefer my previous posts answer.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
04-04-2014, 02:38 PM
(04-04-2014 10:59 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I do not think genes work the way you think genes work. :/

Much cheers to all.
Clearly the 'God gene' as I intended, refers to a potentially inherited propensity to believe in deities
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post
05-04-2014, 08:26 AM
(04-04-2014 02:38 PM)mknight Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 10:59 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I do not think genes work the way you think genes work. :/

Much cheers to all.
Clearly the 'God gene' as I intended, refers to a potentially inherited propensity to believe in deities

We've all inherited evolved brain functions of pattern seeking, pattern recognition, ascribing intentionality, and so on.

When these misfire, you end up with gods, demons, and sparkly unicorns.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Emotional manipulation is also a strong contender, backed by conformation through the pattern recognition (I saw a sign, God 'spoke' to me, etc). This builds and makes the experience personal (have a 'personal relationship' with God).

Just don't ask important questions... you won't find a scientific God gene there (cuz it doesn't exist- at least, hasn't been proven to, yet Wink )