The Gods over the years.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2014, 09:10 AM
The Gods over the years.
There have been over a thousand different God's throughout the history of humanity. Most which were created before the invention of the printing press or the discovery of modern medicine.

At one point in our history certain societies believed in separate Gods for each responsible for separate acts(Mars, Poseidon, Thor, Apollo, etc.) . Once our understanding of how things such as rain and how tides operate actually work the explanation that a God did it ceased. Point being that as we learn more we cast aside the "God did it" excuse and actually investigate which in my opinion is the only way to progress, ask questions.

So one would think that as time goes on that people would be more incline to find answers to age old questions like the origin of mankind instead of lazily accepting something fallible correct? Sadly we all know the answer to that.

Many of the Gods of current day religions predate key scientific discovery(the earth revolving the sun, the earth being round, etc.) yet they still seem to hold value. With this being said most of the minds who wrote religious books(i.e. bible, qua ran,) also had very limited information on the world around them let alone the universe. So the very construct of things like a deity being so powerful that he could make light travel fast enough to reach the earth made sense to them simply because their understanding of how light travels was limited to say the least.

My question is how can Christians or Muslims dismiss all of these things we now have an understanding for and believe a book written by people who didn't even have a basic understanding of how the earth revolved around the sun?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
28-08-2014, 05:06 PM
RE: The Gods over the years.
As a Christian I took comfort in my "complete knowledge" and my life everlasting. Now as an atheist I prefer the agnosticism that could someday lead us to the truth, even if not on a personal level.

don't believe everything you think
28-08-2014, 05:16 PM
If a belief system tells you what you want to hear, you'll manufacture reasons to believe absurd things. We even have a name for this, it's called apologetics. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
28-08-2014, 05:18 PM
What I find funny about history is that in some people, you will find that they actually believed they were gods because they had an army and servants.

It is hilarious. I forget who the Ruler was, I think it was a roman one. I saw it in a documentary but, the guy asks his servant who is more powerful and godly? Him or Posidon?...or I think it was Neptune. The guy apparently hesitated as he didn't want to commit heresy to the god he worshiped and didn't want to insult his emperor. But since he hesitated he got killed for it.

Such limited imagination these people had back than if they actually fancied themselves gods. lol.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
28-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Re: The Gods over the years.
They frequently ignore them as human myth these days, lamely.

I prefer the Milton era Christian perspective which referred to those former gods as all different demons that manipulated mankind.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-08-2014, 06:56 PM
How they see the older religions as myth and completely deny it when it comes to theirs is beyond me.
What is funny is people like Ken Ham will keep spouting the word Critical Thinking and god/bible/jesus teaches critical thinking and critical thinking this and school that etc. But, fails to completely realize that they believe in talking snakes and deny other kinds of talking animals from other religions as being true.

The Midgard Serpant could not have possibly exist, but pixies? Oh sure! Those existed! Frost Giants?! No way those existed! Those are just myth! But GIANTS on the other hand. Nephelim! Yeah! Those totally existed!

28-08-2014, 07:02 PM
(28-08-2014 06:56 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How they see the older religions as myth and completely deny it when it comes to theirs is beyond me.
What is funny is people like Ken Ham will keep spouting the word Critical Thinking and god/bible/jesus teaches critical thinking and critical thinking this and school that etc. But, fails to completely realize that they believe in talking snakes and deny other kinds of talking animals from other religions as being true.

The Midgard Serpant could not have possibly exist, but pixies? Oh sure! Those existed! Frost Giants?! No way those existed! Those are just myth! But GIANTS on the other hand. Nephelim! Yeah! Those totally existed!

The Christian church started the practice of "demonizing" those who didn't believe, they also declared those that didn't go along with church doctrines as heretics.

I believe the rise of Christianity and Islam willing to punish those that didn't go along with their brand of theism was instrumental in driving out other religions.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
28-08-2014, 07:13 PM
(28-08-2014 07:02 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(28-08-2014 06:56 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How they see the older religions as myth and completely deny it when it comes to theirs is beyond me.

The Christian church started the practice of "demonizing" those who didn't believe, they also declared those that didn't go along with church doctrines as heretics.

I believe the rise of Christianity and Islam willing to punish those that didn't go along with their brand of theism was instrumental in driving out other religions.

You are probably right about that. The crusades alone, as well as many of the other wars fought would be a good amount of proof of that.

28-08-2014, 08:51 PM
The one who usually screams the loudest, even if they are wrong, will get the most attention and those who carry a bigger stick will push their will on others through fear. Religion is good about that. They will absorb parts of it to force conversion of faith so that it has the same 'feel' to rituals but make them about Christ instead of the old gods.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 2 users Like Kemasyn's post
28-08-2014, 10:58 PM
(28-08-2014 09:10 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  There have been over a thousand different God's throughout the history of humanity. Most which were created before the invention of the printing press or the discovery of modern medicine.

At one point in our history certain societies believed in separate Gods for each responsible for separate acts(Mars, Poseidon, Thor, Apollo, etc.) . Once our understanding of how things such as rain and how tides operate actually work the explanation that a God did it ceased. Point being that as we learn more we cast aside the "God did it" excuse and actually investigate which in my opinion is the only way to progress, ask questions.

So one would think that as time goes on that people would be more incline to find answers to age old questions like the origin of mankind instead of lazily accepting something fallible correct? Sadly we all know the answer to that.

Many of the Gods of current day religions predate key scientific discovery(the earth revolving the sun, the earth being round, etc.) yet they still seem to hold value. With this being said most of the minds who wrote religious books(i.e. bible, qua ran,) also had very limited information on the world around them let alone the universe. So the very construct of things like a deity being so powerful that he could make light travel fast enough to reach the earth made sense to them simply because their understanding of how light travels was limited to say the least.

My question is how can Christians or Muslims dismiss all of these things we now have an understanding for and believe a book written by people who didn't even have a basic understanding of how the earth revolved around the sun?

I think if most of the people still worshiped pantheistic, nature sort of pagan gods atheism for most would be inevitable. The greatest addition monotheism made to religion was to give people an emotional dependency for the deity. People don't believe for rational reasons. People believe out of fear - fear of the unknown, fear of being alone, fear of injustice and the finality of death.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post