The Good Book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 02:18 AM
The Good Book
Now from the title of the post you might think I am talking about the bible. What I'm referring to is the book called "The Good Book". It's a secular "bible". One of the things I think that secularism is missing and harmed by missing is a mythology. Many times I've heard secularists say myth= false/lie/untrue. This is not what myth means. A myth is a narrative. Myths can be true or false.

My question is two fold. 1 if you have read it what do you think of The Good Book. 2 what do you think of deliberately creating a common mythology?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2017, 03:36 AM
RE: The Good Book
Welcome to TTA.

If you are referring to AC Grayling's tome, yes, I own a copy.

As a devout atheist, yes, I agree with with everything in it.

No, I haven't read it but I still know that it's divinely inspired.

Thumbsup

Creating a common mythology is what Tolkien was doing. No problem with that. Myths are about wisdom not truth or reality.

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
23-06-2017, 03:42 AM
Myth is A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events or a widely held but false belief or idea so secularists you speak about aren't wrong. Given the definition myth being true is exceedingly rare occurrence I suppose.

I didn't read and I see no need for creating mythology. I leave fairy tales to theists.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-06-2017, 04:56 AM
Haven't read it.

I enjoy mythology. If someone wants to make a mythology that they think will be meaningful to some secularists, that's fine with me. Personally I'm not interested in such a thing. I expect such a myth would be an artistic failure, as is true of most didactic literature.

There are atheists who seek to replace religion with something else--atheists who want to go to Sunday humanist services, for example. However, I just want to get rid of the religion in my life.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
23-06-2017, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2017 05:45 AM by Full Circle.)
(23-06-2017 02:18 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  One of the things I think that secularism is missing and harmed by missing is a mythology.

I think not having a secular mythology is a strength, not a weakness.

Quote:A myth is a narrative. Myths can be true or false.

Myths can be a way of illustrating truths but, so not as you know they are myths, they are neither true nor false. They are fiction and those words just don't apply.

Quote:My question is two fold. 1 if you have read it what do you think of The Good Book.

I have never heard of it. Can you provide a general outline or overview?

Quote:2 what do you think of deliberately creating a common mythology?

I see no benefit and possible harm from limiting thinking to conform to the mythology.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-06-2017, 05:30 AM
(23-06-2017 05:28 AM)unfogged Wrote:  My question is two fold. 1 if you have read it what do you think of The Good Book.

Quote:I have never heard of it. Can you provide a general outline or overview?

The Good Book by AC Grayling

Should be available in your local library.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
23-06-2017, 06:35 AM
The Good Book by Tim Minchin!

What's the difference between a cow and religion?

You can't milk a cow for 2000 years...
[+] 2 users Like Gruntsky's post
23-06-2017, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2017 07:39 AM by Vera.)
(23-06-2017 02:18 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  One of the things I think that secularism is missing and harmed by missing is a mythology.

Many times I've heard secularists say myth= false/lie/untrue. This is not what myth means. A myth is a narrative. Myths can be true or false.

My question is two fold. 1 if you have read it what do you think of The Good Book. 2 what do you think of deliberately creating a common mythology?

Hell to the no. That's a strength. We are trying to outgrow the tribal us and them instinct, not strengthen is.

I, personally, do not need a manifesto or a life guru, thank you very much.

And even if I did want "wisdom" (whatever that even means. (Not looking for an explanation, DLJ, just figure of speech. But thanks anyway)), why would I want someone else's pregathered and prechewed idea of it? Am I a mental cripple?

And why do I need a "narrative" to tell me how to lead my life and why do I need just the one and who gets to decide which one it is?

Mythologies made sense before, when people had to find a way of making sense of the world. Why would I deliberately start inventing fairy-tales in this day and age, to help me be a better person or some such vague infantility? No, thanks. We have science to (try and begin to) explain the world; the rest is a personal quest for growth.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
23-06-2017, 11:29 AM
(23-06-2017 02:18 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  2 what do you think of deliberately creating a common mythology?
We already have a common mythology. It can be found in the pages of cosmology and evolution.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
23-06-2017, 12:02 PM
(23-06-2017 02:18 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  My question is two fold. 1 if you have read it what do you think of The Good Book. 2 what do you think of deliberately creating a common mythology?

1. Didn't read it yet... but I might now.

2.I don't really need a mythology but you can have this for what it's worth:

[Image: 62369dcb9f14858feb234b9665a29f00.jpg]

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post