The Good Book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2017, 05:06 AM
RE: The Good Book
So i though I'd give my take since some people have answered. I enjoyed the good book but have some issues with it's altruism. I personally don't trust altruism. I believe in helping someone if i can and if they ask. I do this because i would want someone to do the same for me.

Altruism however seems to be born out of this "white knight" moral superiority. The reason the road to hell is paved with good intentions is because no one knows whats best for me but me, just like i don't know what's best for others.

That being said let me point out that atheist have myths. The way we think of atoms is a myth. Atoms do not actually look like planets orbiting a sun. It's a story (myth) used to convey a truth (concept).

As a nerd i love scifi, fantasy and comics. The best ones are the stories where the gods (main characters) face hard choices without obvious answers. The best part about comics is that the stories change over time to stay relevant. Even though the stories are visual they retain the "spirit" of oral traditions about gods. As a kid comic heros shaped, inspired and even warned me. Most importantly though they challenged me. It's fair to say i would not be who i am without spider-man, batman, the flash, and nightwing, and many others.

Most importantly about myths though is that they give a common reference point for a world view. Someone above said they want less tribalism. If they mean tribe vs tribe then i agree. If they mean the construction of a monoculture then hells no. I am among other things a nerd, not just a nerd but nerdcore. This is one of the tribes i belong to. It doesn't mean that i can't appreciate or even connect to non-nerds. It does mean they will look at me like im crazy when i start quoting Montey python and the holy grail.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2017, 05:37 AM
I've never heard of Grayling's book until now. It appears to be worth looking into. Drinking Beverage
24-06-2017, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2017 08:49 AM by Vera.)
(24-06-2017 05:06 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  So i though I'd give my take since some people have answered. I enjoyed the good book but have some issues with it's altruism. I personally don't trust altruism. I believe in helping someone if i can and if they ask. I do this because i would want someone to do the same for me.

Altruism however seems to be born out of this "white knight" moral superiority. The reason the road to hell is paved with good intentions is because no one knows whats best for me but me, just like i don't know what's best for others.

Other animals show altruism too.

Back to the drawing board, I guess, eh? Drinking Beverage

Or do monkeys have knights, too? King Apethur?

[Image: 462802_3dcf_625x1000.jpg]

Quote:That being said let me point out that atheist have myths. The way we think of atoms is a myth. Atoms do not actually look like planets orbiting a sun. It's a story (myth) used to convey a truth (concept).

You do not get to invent your own definition of the word myth. And. We know that atoms do not look like planets orbiting the sun (but thanks for elucidating us). A simplified visual representation for practical purposes does NOT a myth make.

Quote:As a nerd i love scifi, fantasy and comics. The best ones

"best ones" is purely subjective so the rest of that paragraph proves squat. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
24-06-2017, 08:09 AM
(24-06-2017 05:06 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  So i though I'd give my take since some people have answered. I enjoyed the good book but have some issues with it's altruism. I personally don't trust altruism. I believe in helping someone if i can and if they ask. I do this because i would want someone to do the same for me.

I may not trust people claiming that their motive is altruistic bit I have no problem with concept itself given how it is defined below.

Quote:Altruism however seems to be born out of this "white knight" moral superiority. The reason the road to hell is paved with good intentions is because no one knows whats best for me but me, just like i don't know what's best for others.

Altruism does not mean wanting to build utopia so you road to hell does not apply here. Altruism is simply willingness to do things that bring advantages to others, even if it results in disadvantage for yourself. Hardly a bad thing.

Quote:That being said let me point out that atheist have myths. The way we think of atoms is a myth. Atoms do not actually look like planets orbiting a sun. It's a story (myth) used to convey a truth (concept).

Primary definition of myth according to Oxford dictionary is: A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events. Primary definition of myth according to Cambridge dictionary is: an ancient story or set of stories, especially explaining the early history of a group of people or about natural events and facts so in no way what you claim being atheists myth is a myth.

Quote:As a nerd i love scifi, fantasy and comics. The best ones are the stories where the gods (main characters) face hard choices without obvious answers.

You have some objective scale to measure which stories are the best?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
24-06-2017, 08:12 AM
(23-06-2017 02:18 AM)BlkFnx Wrote:  2 what do you think of deliberately creating a common mythology?

It would have to include Bob, Slack, and Gwyneth Paltrow to be common at this point.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
24-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Apparently, Grayling's book has lots of quotations, but does not list the sources of these quotes. I have always disliked those websites that have quotes but don't source them. So, meh...... I also dislike pseudo-profundity of faux King James Biblical style rhetoric.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
25-06-2017, 09:41 AM
(24-06-2017 01:45 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Apparently, Grayling's book has lots of quotations, but does not list the sources of these quotes. I have always disliked those websites that have quotes but don't source them. So, meh...... I also dislike pseudo-profundity of faux King James Biblical style rhetoric.

Agreed. I previewed the book in the online PDF format, to see if it was worth buying. I couldn't get through the first ten pages. Awful.

Decent idea but terrible execution. The author should have hired a writer.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post