The 'Good Person' Test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 05:25 AM
RE: The 'Good Person' Test
It sounds like this test is set up to have everyone fail.

"And now that I've made you feel like a horrible human being, I'm going to offer you a way to feel better about yourself."

---"Are you going to sell me drugs that will make me feel happy, but have a small risk of suicide or heart failure ?"

"No, nothing like that. I'm going to tell you about an imaginary guy who resides in an imaginary place who demands that you pay me money so that you don't get tortured after you die."

---"No thanks brah. Your little test made me think about what kind of person would make up a test that ultimately would have everyone fail it, making them feel like hell. A good person wouldn't create such a test. Your mind is corrupt. Your words are lies. What would you call someone who attempts to manipulate people with lies ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
09-07-2017, 05:57 AM
(09-07-2017 03:10 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > God himself could not pass that test. It's not really about whether or not a person is good. It is about whether or not a person is perfect. Consider
Yep.

The definition of "good" for a fundamentalist is "perfect". "Be ye perfect, as I am perfect". Some of their exegetes get around the obvious impossibility of this by claiming (maybe even rightly, for all I know) that the word translated "perfect" in the KJV means "complete". Substituting a euphemistic terms doesn't make it attainable. Christianity is really all about unattainable standards, about always keeping you off-balance and insecure about your standing with god, and therefore, always in need of admonishment, testing and the like. Deserving of far worse (eternal perdition) and needing to be grateful for the crumbs falling from the master's table.

That's not to say for example that obsession with sexual fantasies 24/7 represents balance for a person, or that sexual addiction is a goal.

My definition of "good" on the human (and therefore realistic) scale is that you possess personal integrity, honesty, empathy, compassion and lovingkindness such that people and places are better off for you having interacted with them. No irrelevant considerations such as how horny you are or aren't, whether you are spastically honest even when, occasionally, honesty is NOT the best policy, etc.

Of more concisely, a good person is a person you'd want to meet / be around / trust. Be that open / approachable / warm / welcoming person for others, and you're good.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
09-07-2017, 06:10 AM
(09-07-2017 05:25 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It sounds like this test is set up to have everyone fail.

ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

They have to convince you that you are sick before they can sell you the treatment. They also have to make sure that the "disease" is incurable so that you have to be dependent on them forever.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
09-07-2017, 07:03 AM
(09-07-2017 02:58 AM)sea_tiger Wrote:  This really made me lose my cool.
Quote:Refuse Your Own Self-Effort
Realize that there is no way you can work your way to heaven or somehow be "good enough" to earn heaven.
Angry

See, this is what I'm talking about. I'm glad I stopped reading before I saw this or I would have gone to bed angry. The whole purpose of the moral code underweighting his questions is not to teach one to live and be happy but to tear down, instill guilt and self-loathing in a person, destroy his self-esteem and leave him groveling on his knees begging for forgiveness for his wretched existence. There's a passage in Atlas Shrugged that perfectly captures this purpose and I'm going to have to paraphrase. innocent men are such a problem, there's no ruling them, but teach a man that it's evil to look at beautiful flowers and if he believes it then you've got him!

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
09-07-2017, 08:53 AM
(08-07-2017 08:26 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I gave up after the question, "Have you ever looked at anyone with lust?"

I answered yes to that question (I mean, come on, is there anyone who hasn't EVER... Dodgy ) and this was on the next page:
Quote:Jesus said, that makes you an adulterer.

Jesus said in Matthew 5 that to look at someone with lust is to have committed adultery with them.

And then I was done... I don't give a fuck what Jesus said! What he said to that fig tree was very telling...

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
09-07-2017, 09:14 AM
"By your own admission and the standard of God's law, the Ten Commandments, you are a lying, thieving, murderous, adulterer at heart."

Woah, harsh! O.o
[+] 4 users Like AnaBunny's post
09-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Seems to me that refraining from throttling such a test giver on the spot is the quintessential demonstration of intrinsic goodness given the degree of self restraint necessary to avoid bloodshed. But it's a subjective matter: in some respects throttling the test giver instantly and permanently curtails curtails dishonest, demeaning and insulting behavior which to most minds is always good. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
09-07-2017, 10:37 AM
It's not really a "good person" test anyway, it's about a specific deity's idea of good & bad and that's about righteousness vs. sinfulness, that has nothing to do with actually being good or bad.

Christians think it's the same thing...it is not.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
09-07-2017, 10:42 AM
(09-07-2017 09:14 AM)AnaBunny Wrote:  "By your own admission and the standard of God's law, the Ten Commandments, you are a lying, thieving, murderous, adulterer at heart."

Woah, harsh! O.o

I think I would say
"What do call a man who is honest every day of his life, except for that one time he lied about taking an apple when he was starving ?

You call him honest.

"What do you call a man who works his whole life as a security guard, protecting property from thieves, but when he was a child, he stole an apple ?

You call him trustworthy.

"What do you call a man who risks his life protecting his family from a home invasion by killing someone who is trying to harm his family ?

You call him a hero.

"What do call someone who fucked every married woman in the neighborhood ?

You call him the milkman Smile

"Now go take your meaningless labels and hit the road preacher man. I've got more milk to deliver."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
09-07-2017, 12:50 PM
(08-07-2017 07:51 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(08-07-2017 07:46 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Funny piece of crapola taking up space in the ether.

I am going to hell...

God is a bully, so why would I want to go spend eternity with it?

See you all at the barbeque!

I like ribs, be sure to save me some k Smile

It's all tripe and pigs feet in hell man. Silly, there ain't no fuc'n ribs dude.
It's hell, r'member?

You have to be odd to be #1.