The Gospel of Peace?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2013, 06:27 AM
The Gospel of Peace?
We evangelicals most often focus on individual salvation, Jesus's comforts in life and Heaven. But the return of Jesus is the advent of the millennial kingdom of Israel and of world peace.

Armageddon is interposed between our age and the return of Jesus. But it is not ordained fact yet. God may relent. I hope it is so.

Have many of you been exposed to the book of Revelation or of the different gospels or "good news" proclamations within? The good news of the kingdom of God ascendant, world peace, etc?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2013, 07:00 AM
RE: The Gospel of Peace?
I've never heard anyone suggest that Armageddon is avertible. Given that it's supposedly discussed in the book of Zechariah and the Revelation is basically obsessed with it, I don't see how you could say that it might not happen. If it doesn't happen, doesn't that prove that these people were not prophets?
24-07-2013, 07:29 AM
So basically all your crap prophesies are NOT really so. They can all just not be so, and are relative, both true and or not true, depending whatever you find convenient.
Thanks for admitting it.

There were hundreds of books of revelations and apocrypha. It was quite the fad.

Go away , troll.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-07-2013, 07:37 AM
(24-07-2013 06:27 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  We evangelicals most often focus on individual salvation, Jesus's comforts in life and Heaven. But the return of Jesus is the advent of the millennial kingdom of Israel and of world peace.

Armageddon is interposed between our age and the return of Jesus. But it is not ordained fact yet. God may relent. I hope it is so.

Have many of you been exposed to the book of Revelation or of the different gospels or "good news" proclamations within? The good news of the kingdom of God ascendant, world peace, etc?

Of course we have been exposed to it. However, without any evidence of its truth, we reject it.

Why are you here?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
24-07-2013, 07:42 AM
I've read revelations several times. It is a fun read but not something I recommend before dropping acid. I cannot stress that enough.

I have read the whole Bible, many of its books several times. I must have missed where Armageddon is avoidable.

Now, I may be wrong here, but doesn't your God's kingdom and peace for the world depend on an incredible amount of pain and suffering first? Since this deity supposedly set this all up I think it could find a more humane and logical way to settle things. Only asking?

The NT makes it pretty clear that the end was expected in the life span of the Apostles. I know the Bible does give some rather long lifespans for people but we've yet to find a 2000 year old apostle ambling about.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but when the Bible is read in totality and without a preconceived point of view it fails as a book of prophecy, morals or basic decent behavior.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 5 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
24-07-2013, 07:44 AM
The Gospel of Peace?
Who do you think you are? Jonah? Do you think if you can get the Ninevites to repent, God will relent? You need a lesson in predestination, son. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
24-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I think you have posted this in the wrong place....the unthinking theist is a few mouse clicks further down the street.

(24-07-2013 06:27 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The return of Jesus

Don't believe in it. Matter of faith. No historical or scientific evidence available to make me worry about it. My confindence that his will happen = 0. More worried about real things that can/could/will happen.

(24-07-2013 06:27 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Armageddon is interposed between our age and the return of Jesus. But it is not ordained fact yet. God may relent. I hope it is so.

There's even less to worry about then. Confidence of second coming now at -N where N is too large a number to write down.

(24-07-2013 06:27 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Have many of you been exposed to the book of Revelation or of the different gospels or "good news" proclamations within? The good news of the kingdom of God ascendant, world peace, etc?

I have been exposed to it, regretably. It is silly, toxic nonsense invented by a doomsday cult leader called Paul of Tarsus. It destroys families, castigates women, homosexuals and anyone who has the audacity to question it. The 'Good News' has killed millions and is fortunately in terminal decline across the western world.

Thanks for enabling me to hit my troll-feeding quota for the day. Carry on.

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 5 users Like Shannow's post
24-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Bah, I used to be a JW for awhile.
We were batshit crazy for Revelations, so I know all about it.

But I'll bet my interpretation of it as a JW will be different than yours. Tongue
(Which in turn will be completely different than my views on it when I was a Catholic...)

[Image: 33xy6me.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
24-07-2013, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2013 10:41 AM by Starcrash.)
(24-07-2013 06:27 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  We evangelicals most often focus on individual salvation, Jesus's comforts in life and Heaven. But the return of Jesus is the advent of the millennial kingdom of Israel and of world peace.

I've been exposed to all of the books of the bible, including Revelation. I think it's interesting that you think "Armageddon... is not ordained fact". None of the contents of the bible are "ordained fact", but of all the assertions you make at least they're consistent with scripture -- except this one. Why would you think Armageddon is just a possibility rather than a certainty? There's no difference in the language used in the bible discussing Armageddon than the language used to discuss the other "prophecies" of Revelation, so if you assume that this is uncertain, by the same standard the rest of the book is also uncertain. Do you actually draw your beliefs from the bible or do you simply use the bible to justify your guessed beliefs?

It's also interesting that you think Revelation is full of "good news". The examples you list come from the last 2 chapters of the book, which follow 20 chapters of destruction, revenge, and hate. It would appear that you've ignored these facts for the interpretation of Jesus that you prefer, one that makes up less than 10% of the contents of Revelation... it's confirmation bias.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
24-07-2013, 10:44 AM
God on facebook says the entire book of Revelations is just a bad acid trip that the guy who wrote it was having.

[Image: 1001075_502816273139414_1621538215_n.jpg]

I believe him more than any other god because at least he replies to questions. Drinking Beverage

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
[+] 7 users Like TheBeardedDude's post