Poll: How do you feel about the Grateful Dead?
Hate them
Indifferent / Never listened
Like them
LOVE THEM!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Grateful Dead Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
29-01-2015, 02:37 PM
RE: The Grateful Dead Thread
Martin Scorsese is said to be producing a Documentary about the Dead.
2015 markes the 50th anniversary of The Grateful Dead.

What a long strange trip...

It seems Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart...are planning something....the question is...

Will it just be a one time only event?

Will they tour?

Will I have to fly to San Francisco?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-01-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2015 04:20 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I guess you could say I'm somewhere between "like" and "love" for the Dead. I love the way they did what they did, I love the whole concept and the culture they created. I can't think of a band that ever developed a closer more mutually-nourishing bond with their fans. I'm a guitar player, singer, and songwriter myself and I can safely say I owe my whole songwriting "ethos" to The Dead more than any single other band. The idea of a song as an organic living thing really changed my whole outlook. Why play it the same way every time right? Fast one night, slow the next, etc. let good material grow and evolve over the years to truly get to know the "personality" of a piece of art. That said there's plenty about the "scene" and large chunks of the material I can do without. I wouldn't come anywhere near calling them my favorite band, and I think they were eventually surpassed in terms of musicianship and creative output by other acts. I'd rather listen to Phish, for example, though I have to give The Dead props for being the first to do it the way they did. There's nothing else quite like 'em. When I get that certain itch, nothing else will scratch it.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
29-01-2015, 04:14 PM
The latest hullabaloo is their selection of Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio to join the "living Dead" for a reunion series of shows in Chicago this summer. Deadheads are totally up in arms, thinking that Trey isn't a suitable replacement, that they'll sound too much like Phish, etc. I figure they could've got ANY guitarist/singer in the world they wanted for the asking. They chose Trey. That's good enough for me. I'm not planning to go, but I assume it'll be televised or webcast and I fully intend to watch every minute of it.
29-01-2015, 04:27 PM
(29-01-2015 04:14 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  The latest hullabaloo is their selection of Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio to join the "living Dead" for a reunion series of shows in Chicago this summer. Deadheads are totally up in arms, thinking that Trey isn't a suitable replacement, that they'll sound too much like Phish, etc. I figure they could've got ANY guitarist/singer in the world they wanted for the asking. They chose Trey. That's good enough for me. I'm not planning to go, but I assume it'll be televised or webcast and I fully intend to watch every minute of it.

I don't care for Trey, I also heard he wasn't the first choice. But whatever....I've seen Phish a couple times. Never grabbed me the way the Dead did. I would go to see the band play together. I went to jr high with the guy who'll be playing keyboard.

If they do end up doing more than the Chicago dates (how they can't consider playing San Francisco is beyond me), I'd try to go....if possible.

But I wouldn't go to Chicago to see them....

Which is actually saying a lot -- since I used to be one of those girls who stand in the parking lot holding one hand up in the air.

29-01-2015, 04:42 PM
I've seen Trey play with Phil Lesh and Friends and they covered a great mean Dead tunes - I thought it held up quite well. Trey is not the singer Jerry was, and never will be; and his style of guitar playing is different. But I can't think of anyone I'd rather see sit-in with The Dead and play those tunes.
29-01-2015, 08:05 PM
I heard a rumour that there will be a short run of dates this year... It's being billed as a final farewell from the Dead.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Ah right, everyone's already heard about it... Never mind.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
29-01-2015, 08:42 PM
(29-01-2015 08:06 PM)Sam Wrote:  Ah right, everyone's already heard about it... Never mind.

Hug

Heart

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-01-2015, 10:06 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2015 10:20 PM by smileXsmileXsmile.)
The Grateful Dead Thread
*EDIT* I'm going to the Chicago show. I like phish too, so no problems with Trey in the mix. The whole idea is the grateful dead so I'm not worried about it sounding too phishy, pun intended.

A tie dye I made
[Image: 43660094c9bd948f46d3a491a36e44a9.jpg]

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like smileXsmileXsmile's post
29-01-2015, 10:10 PM
(29-01-2015 10:06 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 08:05 PM)Sam Wrote:  I heard a rumour that there will be a short run of dates this year... It's being billed as a final farewell from the Dead.

Yup in Chicago. Tickets go on sale in February they're already available if you want to do it by mail order. I'm going but I'm going order tickets online.

A tie dye I made
[Image: 43660094c9bd948f46d3a491a36e44a9.jpg]

I can't imagine how it will sound without Jerry's guitar and voice. Both were so distinctive.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post