Poll: How do you feel about the Grateful Dead?
Hate them
Indifferent / Never listened
Like them
LOVE THEM!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Grateful Dead Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-05-2015, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 09:42 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: The Grateful Dead Thread
(16-06-2012 09:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  Reach out your hand,
if your cup be empty.
If your cup is full,
may it be again.
Let it be known
there is a fountain
that was not made
by the hand of men.

One of two songs I truly love from the band. The rest is, to my ears, limp dreck.

I love their musical philosophy onstage: improvisation unfolding a song in real time, with every performance unique. I just don't care for their particular results, mostly.

But yeah, "Ripple" kills me.

(04-05-2015 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 02:48 PM)Sam Wrote:  Well I'll be buggered...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/column...r-r-martin

Estimated Prophet always reminds me of HouseOfCantor. Big Grin

This is the other song I really love from the band. Groovalicious, even in five, or seven.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 09:28 PM
(17-06-2012 04:03 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Certainly not a Dead Head but I do like them.

Haven't run across'd you before, but great username --

Yours,

A Danhead
04-05-2015, 09:34 PM
(29-01-2015 04:11 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I guess you could say I'm somewhere between "like" and "love" for the Dead. I love the way they did what they did, I love the whole concept and the culture they created. I can't think of a band that ever developed a closer more mutually-nourishing bond with their fans. I'm a guitar player, singer, and songwriter myself and I can safely say I owe my whole songwriting "ethos" to The Dead more than any single other band. The idea of a song as an organic living thing really changed my whole outlook. Why play it the same way every time right? Fast one night, slow the next, etc. let good material grow and evolve over the years to truly get to know the "personality" of a piece of art. That said there's plenty about the "scene" and large chunks of the material I can do without. I wouldn't come anywhere near calling them my favorite band, and I think they were eventually surpassed in terms of musicianship and creative output by other acts. I'd rather listen to Phish, for example, though I have to give The Dead props for being the first to do it the way they did. There's nothing else quite like 'em. When I get that certain itch, nothing else will scratch it.

'Sup, Bosox? You the same Mr Boston from Guitar Forums?
22-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Just watched the Netflix Original documentary on Bob Weir/Grateful Dead

The Other One

Some of the footage was amazing Smile

Most enjoyable.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-05-2015, 06:21 AM
One of my favorite Dead songs.

Brokedown Palace

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
23-05-2015, 09:23 AM
This is one of the best concerts I've found on YouTube...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
08-08-2015, 06:58 AM
I've never been fortunate enough to see them while Jerry was alive. I got invited to see them at the L.A. Colosseum when I was around 13 but my parents wouldn't let me go. I have seen all forms of the Dead since; The Other Ones, Phil & Friends, Ratdog . When I was living in San Francisco I ran into Phil Lesh while waiting for the library to open. I got to talk with him for a few minutes which was cool. I also got to meet Vince Wellnick twice, once in San Diego and another time in San Francisco at the Haight st Fair. He remembered me from San Diego which blew me away since it had been a few years.

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
[+] 1 user Likes Octapulse's post
09-08-2015, 08:29 PM
(22-05-2015 08:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just watched the Netflix Original documentary on Bob Weir/Grateful Dead

The Other One

Some of the footage was amazing Smile

Most enjoyable.

I'm going to have to look for that one tomorrow!

(22-08-2015 07:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is by will alone I set my brows in motion it is by the conditioner of avocado that the brows acquire volume the skin acquires spots the spots become a warning. It is by will alone I set my brows in motion.
19-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Been enjoying 30 Days of Dead,but having some downloading problems. Windows media player wants to put 2015 into 2014. (same song)

Never mistake the grandeur of the cosmos for god.
19-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Took this necroposting opportunity to change my vote from 2012 from "Indifferent" to "Like them."

A year or 2 ago I read the book, US Blues. Can't recommend it enough! It's a humorous murder solving adventure by Alligator, a deadhead of all deadheads. I was cracking up so much at the description of the Scene...made me wish I had gone to a show. Since then, I occasionally will pull up a show on the YouTubes when I'm in a super chill state of mind... Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel