Poll: How do you feel about the Grateful Dead?
Hate them
Indifferent / Never listened
Like them
LOVE THEM!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Grateful Dead Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-11-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: The Grateful Dead Thread
(19-11-2015 12:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Took this necroposting opportunity to change my vote from 2012 from "Indifferent" to "Like them."

A year or 2 ago I read the book, US Blues. Can't recommend it enough! It's a humorous murder solving adventure by Alligator, a deadhead of all deadheads. I was cracking up so much at the description of the Scene...made me wish I had gone to a show. Since then, I occasionally will pull up a show on the YouTubes when I'm in a super chill state of mind... Thumbsup

I am not a fan of the band, but I love mysteries with a music setting. I've added the name to my look-for list.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
19-11-2015, 03:00 PM
(19-11-2015 02:57 PM)julep Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 12:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Took this necroposting opportunity to change my vote from 2012 from "Indifferent" to "Like them."

A year or 2 ago I read the book, US Blues. Can't recommend it enough! It's a humorous murder solving adventure by Alligator, a deadhead of all deadheads. I was cracking up so much at the description of the Scene...made me wish I had gone to a show. Since then, I occasionally will pull up a show on the YouTubes when I'm in a super chill state of mind... Thumbsup

I am not a fan of the band, but I love mysteries with a music setting. I've added the name to my look-for list.

Cool, here's a link to the information!

US Blues by Ed Watt

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
01-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Come on then, who's been neglecting the Dead Thread?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2016, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 12:37 AM by GirlyMan.)

Fuck I already posted this didn't I. Why yes, yes you did. ... fuck

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-04-2016, 11:52 PM
When my daughter is here we tend to listen to music when we are eating. So last week I put on the newly discovered Grateful Dead. When asked what she thought of them, she answered:

- I like it, but they're not very good singers.

We laughed at that, and had a little chat about modern technology.
[+] 3 users Like Nishi Karano Kaze's post
02-04-2016, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 02:34 AM by GirlyMan.)
(01-04-2016 11:52 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  When my daughter is here we tend to listen to music when we are eating. So last week I put on the newly discovered Grateful Dead. When asked what she thought of them, she answered:

If they were good singers nobody would've ever heard of them. They did have a talent for choosing whether Jerry or Weir sucked less on a stanza. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-04-2016, 01:25 AM

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
(02-04-2016 12:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 11:52 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  When my daughter is here we tend to listen to music when we are eating. So last week I put on the newly discovered Grateful Dead. When asked what she thought of them, she answered:

If they were good singers nobody would've ever heard of them. They did have a talent for choosing whether Jerry or Weir sucked less on a stanza. Big Grin

There were times I saw them and they sounded great. Jerry sounded smooth as glass...

Then there were other times when Donna Jean's mic was turned up too high and the bitch sounded like a cat being electrocuted.

But seeing how the whole the concert was one huge private party with your best friends ever, we just passed the joint, sang along and danced...oh how we danced. Cool

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-04-2016, 12:24 PM
The thing is, if you've ever seen a good folk musician or band live, you can see exactly where Jerry's vocal style comes from. I can't imagine anyone else singing Ripple, Mountains of the Moon, or Dire Wolf with nearly as much feel or character as Jerry. Its natural and unaltered, the odd bum note here or there doesn't matter. In the same way as it doesn't matter with Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie or Pete Seeger... People seem to expect the Dead to be a hard rock band, when really they were quite rootsy and folky.

I think they probably had trouble hearing vocals during live shows. It was a common problem back in the '60s and '70s, and it was only much later later that effective onstage monitoring became widespread, allowing each musician to hear exactly what they need to...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
02-04-2016, 12:38 PM
(02-04-2016 12:24 PM)Sam Wrote:  The thing is, if you've ever seen a good folk musician or band live, you can see exactly where Jerry's vocal style comes from. I can't imagine anyone else singing Ripple, Mountains of the Moon, or Dire Wolf with nearly as much feel or character as Jerry. Its natural and unaltered, the odd bum note here or there doesn't matter. In the same way as it doesn't matter with Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie or Pete Seeger... People seem to expect the Dead to be a hard rock band, when really they were quite rootsy and folky.

I think they probably had trouble hearing vocals during live shows. It was a common problem back in the '60s and '70s, and it was only much later later that effective onstage monitoring became widespread, allowing each musician to hear exactly what they need to...

Once the wall of sound was introduced it did improve. Minus a few things.

But agreed Jerry's style, after Pigpen died the whole focus of the band changed.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces