Poll: How do you feel about the Grateful Dead?
Hate them
Indifferent / Never listened
Like them
LOVE THEM!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
The Grateful Dead Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-04-2016, 01:02 PM
RE: The Grateful Dead Thread
(02-04-2016 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 12:24 PM)Sam Wrote:  The thing is, if you've ever seen a good folk musician or band live, you can see exactly where Jerry's vocal style comes from. I can't imagine anyone else singing Ripple, Mountains of the Moon, or Dire Wolf with nearly as much feel or character as Jerry. Its natural and unaltered, the odd bum note here or there doesn't matter. In the same way as it doesn't matter with Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie or Pete Seeger... People seem to expect the Dead to be a hard rock band, when really they were quite rootsy and folky.

I think they probably had trouble hearing vocals during live shows. It was a common problem back in the '60s and '70s, and it was only much later later that effective onstage monitoring became widespread, allowing each musician to hear exactly what they need to...

Once the wall of sound was introduced it did improve. Minus a few things.

But agreed Jerry's style, after Pigpen died the whole focus of the band changed.

Pigpen was very much a blues man... Arguably the most accomplished singer of the original band. But they each brought something unique to the mix.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
02-04-2016, 01:28 PM
(02-04-2016 01:02 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 12:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Once the wall of sound was introduced it did improve. Minus a few things.

But agreed Jerry's style, after Pigpen died the whole focus of the band changed.

Pigpen was very much a blues man... Arguably the most accomplished singer of the original band. But they each brought something unique to the mix.

This is one of my favorites from the Pigpen years...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
02-04-2016, 04:29 PM
The Grateful Dead Thread
(02-04-2016 01:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 01:02 PM)Sam Wrote:  Pigpen was very much a blues man... Arguably the most accomplished singer of the original band. But they each brought something unique to the mix.

This is one of my favorites from the Pigpen years...

I was just listening to this last night... A real old blues classic that.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
03-04-2016, 01:36 AM
You can't go wrong with the Wolf.
Find all posts by this user