The Great Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-07-2016, 06:48 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 08:03 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The Great Filter
One of the most profound cultural shifts in the history of the human race occurred when the oral contraceptive was made available to women, and they chose, against the advice/precepts of their male religionist leaders, to take control of their reproductive lives. Most Catholic women of child-bearing age in Western societies USE birth control. Even the ones who *claim* they don't, and pretend they use "natural family planning" (LOL ... even the RC Church says the crux of a moral choice is the INTENT, and the INTENT of NFP is to prevent pregnancy, for the most part, and LIMIT pregnancies), are using a form of birth control. The "filter" has nothing to do with religion, as evidenced by the FACTS. The "filter" is that women now have the choice to avoid unwanted pregnancies, and the FACTS prove that religion, is, in FACT, powerless to alter that relatively new paradigm.

Religion has LOST the power to control human lives, and there is no evidence it's getting that male-dominated, bullshit, power back.
Science and research provided women with choices.
Religion never did that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-07-2016, 12:11 PM
(14-07-2016 02:08 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It is a curious question why we don't observe extra solar intelligent technological civilizations. Some have posited that there is probably some filter that prevents intelligent civilizations from existing for very long. Perhaps they all blow themselves up in nuclear wars shortly after developing that technology for instance.

I would like to suggest that it is possible the great filter is birth control.

Birth control is voluntary. Japan's birth rate is low due to cultural and economic factors (primarily based around the country's work culture, which demands obscenely long hours, and high prices for living space demanding still more time) which cannot be controlled or circumvented, not contraceptives. Japan wants to raise its birth rate. Its families simply do not have the economic means to do so.

There's more to it, of course, including the heavily centralized population and resulting high population density driving up housing prices, but that's the basic idea. You can read more about it here.

Birth control is not the great filter. War, perhaps. Limited resources, perhaps. But people simply choosing not to have children and letting the species die out even though they all know it's happening? No.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
14-07-2016, 12:32 PM
The world current population it 7.4 billion people.

People are living longer lives now then they ever have.

I think a decline in the world populous is fine.

People will continue to have babies. As long as sex remains popular, babies will follow.

Or would you prefer this to be your daily commute?
[Image: poBJ2e18UaYt8fJzJamx4SHD.jpeg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
14-07-2016, 12:45 PM
(14-07-2016 05:50 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The not so great filter.

[Image: Dirty-air-filter.jpg]

All hail The Great Fram! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
14-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Perhaps we could try to keep the current babies from dying of starvation, disease and war rather than just creating back-ups?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-07-2016, 02:10 PM
(14-07-2016 01:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  Perhaps we could try to keep the current babies from dying of starvation, disease and war rather than just creating back-ups?

That is certainly true of the some of the highest countries birth rates.

Even in our own country hideously large families were the norm, because the infant mortality (not to mention maternal) was incredibly high.

I recall my great grandmother saying her mother had 11 children and only 4 survived infancy. I've always wondered if the death of the large family in our country wasn't as much due to birth control (as many religious people suggest) but the success of having children actually grow up.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-07-2016, 02:21 PM
(14-07-2016 01:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  Perhaps we could try to keep the current babies from dying of starvation, disease and war rather than just creating back-ups?

Counterintuitively, reducing infant mortality is one of the things that brings down population growth, because people have fewer kids when there's less infant mortality.
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
14-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Great indeed!

...Humans are coming closer and closer to being able to create functional reproductive cells out of some mundane dna cells like Skin cell manipulation to generate an egg out of the dna involved.

If a species were able to cultivate interstellar travel the notions of dying off is going to be something controlled by having the capability to create interstellar seeking structures. They advanced measures of both fields aren't directly related, but it's a notion of how creative in functional development. These types of easier than the general biological norm of reproduction might be what is needed to keep a species alive into populating the reaches of space or inhabiting new planetary systems.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
14-07-2016, 02:32 PM
So your argument is we need Jesus to fuck each other that's funny as an atheist i'm always being told by fundies (people always mistake me for a guy on line) that the reason i don't believe is so i can have rampant sex without guilt or i hate my father or some shit and sire loads of bastard children which i then abandon because i have no morals

sheesh get your story straight Christians

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
14-07-2016, 04:20 PM
(14-07-2016 02:21 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  

Counterintuitively, reducing infant mortality is one of the things that brings down population growth, because people have fewer kids when there's less infant mortality.

Of course, so we don't need to birth all these back-ups.

Until not long ago lots of children were also needed for labor. Farms needed as many hands as they could get to thrive. Everything was done by hand.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man