The Great Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-07-2016, 04:37 PM
RE: The Great Filter
(14-07-2016 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  Of course, so we don't need to birth all these back-ups.

Not picking on you Dom or at least I don't want it to seem that way, because honestly it's not my intent.

This is my issue...one of those things that speaks more about me than you...but I find the term "back up" in this context slightly offensive.

I'm not even sure if offensive is the right word. Off-putting? Consider

I mean I never heard my great grandmother say her later children (she had 6 boys) were possible replacements.

I didn't birth two sons because I thought of the second as a backup.

I wanted more than one child because I was raised an only child. Also, I would have tried for a third, if I hadn't had so issues with premature delivery of the first two.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-07-2016, 04:45 PM
(14-07-2016 04:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  Of course, so we don't need to birth all these back-ups.

Not picking on you Dom or at least I don't want it to seem that way, because honestly it's not my intent.

This is my issue...one of those things that speaks more about me than you...but I find the term "back up" in this context slightly offensive.

I mean I never heard my great grandmother say her later children (she had 6 boys) were possible replacements.

I wanted more than one child because I was raised an only child. Also, I would have tried for a third, if I hadn't had so issues with premature delivery of the first two.

It's called cynicism and applied by me to the horrendous conditions in some of the countries that churn out children like crazy just to watch them die of starvation, disease and war. I never understood how people could do this to children, have them in huge numbers knowing full well that most would die a miserable early death. I doubt you would have one a year knowing full well you are going to watch most of them die. I know I couldn't do that to children.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-07-2016, 05:25 PM
(14-07-2016 04:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 04:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Not picking on you Dom or at least I don't want it to seem that way, because honestly it's not my intent.

It's called cynicism and applied by me to the horrendous conditions in some of the countries that churn out children like crazy just to watch them die of starvation, disease and war. I never understood how people could do this to children, have them in huge numbers knowing full well that most would die a miserable early death. I doubt you would have one a year knowing full well you are going to watch most of them die. I know I couldn't do that to children.

I understand what cynicism can do and as I stated emphatically that this is my issue and really not yours -- I'm quite confident many would agree with your view. I'm only saying that I cringed the two times you wrote it before my reply -- I will not apply my reaction to anyone else. That's just me and the emotions I felt when I read it.

14-07-2016, 05:30 PM
(14-07-2016 04:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's called cynicism and applied by me to the horrendous conditions in some of the countries that churn out children like crazy just to watch them die of starvation, disease and war. I never understood how people could do this to children, have them in huge numbers knowing full well that most would die a miserable early death. I doubt you would have one a year knowing full well you are going to watch most of them die. I know I couldn't do that to children.

It's like this in Brasil in the favelas. Parents churn out children they cannot afford. I know of mothers with as many as 12 kids. No income.

My sambista teacher told me all about it. They live in places such as this.

[Image: 1806265_c4b9dd5866.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-07-2016, 05:31 PM
(14-07-2016 04:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 04:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Not picking on you Dom or at least I don't want it to seem that way, because honestly it's not my intent.

I know always shocks me how religious nuts are always going on about how evil and destructive abortion is but these assholes treat children as ideological tools and are totally willing to let them die slow painful deaths because they ironically impose there desire(not the embryo's it has no desires) that it wishes to live

[Image: giphy.gif]
14-07-2016, 05:50 PM
(14-07-2016 05:31 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 04:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's called cynicism and applied by me to the horrendous conditions in some of the countries that churn out children like crazy just to watch them die of starvation, disease and war. I never understood how people could do this to children, have them in huge numbers knowing full well that most would die a miserable early death. I doubt you would have one a year knowing full well you are going to watch most of them die. I know I couldn't do that to children.

I know always shocks me how religious nuts are always going on about how evil and destructive abortion is but these assholes treat children as ideological tools and are totally willing to let them die slow painful deaths because they ironically impose there desire(not the embryo's it has no desires) that it wishes to live

I don't blame the often young, under or completely uneducated person believing that a deity might be angry with her, her spouse, her family or her village. Superstations or whatever you want to call them are far more harmful, but I can't blame them for believing it. If you look backward on our history, for thousands of years -- people have had babies knowing either fully well they wouldn't survive or they might die delivering them. Had that urge been not so strong to have offspring, it's likely I wouldn't be here. Maybe that would be a good thing tho.

Evolution is powerful motivator that can only be explained today...back then it was just gods.

14-07-2016, 06:12 PM
(14-07-2016 05:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

I understand what cynicism can do and as I stated emphatically that this is my issue and really not yours -- I'm quite confident many would agree with your view. I'm only saying that I cringed the two times you wrote it before my reply -- I will not apply my reaction to anyone else. That's just me and the emotions I felt when I read it.

It wasn't aimed at you at all, it was cynicism about human kind though. And I am aware that my bluntness can be abrasive at times. So - it's not you, it's me. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
14-07-2016, 07:20 PM
(14-07-2016 06:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 05:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I understand what cynicism can do and as I stated emphatically that this is my issue and really not yours -- I'm quite confident many would agree with your view. I'm only saying that I cringed the two times you wrote it before my reply -- I will not apply my reaction to anyone else. That's just me and the emotions I felt when I read it.

It wasn't aimed at you at all, it was cynicism about human kind though. And I am aware that my bluntness can be abrasive at times. So - it's not you, it's me. Tongue

Hug

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-07-2016, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 08:02 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(14-07-2016 04:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Both Poland and the Philippines are overwhelming Catholic controlled countries so what gives there?

There is a big difference between professing to be a Catholic and actually practicing Catholicism. In the early 1970s, In Ballymurphy Ireland it wasn't unusual for a catholic week day mass to have over 400 attendees. Now such an event would be unusual. Still you would say that Ballymurphy is a catholic neighborhood, because most of it inhabitants profess to be catholics. But the amount of religious acts that population engages in has sharply decreased over the years. It is not as catholic as it used to be. Religiousity is not Boolean, it is a gradient.

To assume that these countries are just as religious as they used to be is an error on your part.

Suppose Japan today, were as catholic as Ballymurphy was in the early 1970s. It is almost certain their population would not be cratering as it currently is.

(14-07-2016 04:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The chart does not include death-rate. This, I think, is the main reason that the poor, low-educated countries have higher birth rates. That and the lack of social security systems.

Increased lifespans will decrease the amount the fertility rate needs to be to sustain a population. However if the fertility rate drops below 2, it doesn't matter how long life spans are. If life spans are finite, a population of humans will die out with a fertility rate below 2. The fertility rate in Japan is 1.42. If this continues, the Japaneses will cease to be and the same fate will befall all of humanity if current trends continue.

Deeply religious people have babies in sufficient numbers to sustain the population. Atheistic and "luke warm religious" populations do not. This site, by promoting atheism is in effect promoting a path that currently leads to the elimination of the human species.

If humans are around 1,000,000 years from now, they will probably be the descendants of radical islamists, devout Christians, and orthodox jews.
14-07-2016, 08:04 PM
(14-07-2016 05:30 PM)Banjo Wrote:  It's like this in Brasil in the favelas. Parents churn out children they cannot afford. I know of mothers with as many as 12 kids. No income.

My sambista teacher told me all about it. They live in places such as this.

[Image: 1806265_c4b9dd5866.jpg]

Those 12 kids live better in that slum than kids who lived 1000 years before them.