The Great Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-07-2016, 08:23 PM
RE: The Great Filter
(14-07-2016 08:04 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Those 12 kids live better in that slum than kids who lived 1000 years before them.

In this we agree. Although I fail to note the relevance.

If you wish to discuss infant mortality rates in the ancient world, I am right up on the subject. However that would require another thread.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
14-07-2016, 09:26 PM
(14-07-2016 12:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Birth control is voluntary. Japan's birth rate is low due to cultural and economic factors (primarily based around the country's work culture, which demands obscenely long hours, and high prices for living space demanding still more time) which cannot be controlled or circumvented, not contraceptives. Japan wants to raise its birth rate. Its families simply do not have the economic means to do so.

Complete and utter bullshit.

Japan has one of the strongest economies in the world. It can easily sustain a fertility rate of 2.1 which your article claims is necessary to sustain the population. In Japan they are simply choosing to have less children. They are choosing to work for themselves instead of their offspring. Consequently, they are a doomed nation.

We are a doomed species if we go the way Japan is going. Deeply religious people will go forth and multiply. Deeply religious people will tell themselves that God will provide for any children God decides to give them. Atheistic or nominally religious people will not. They will rationalize why they can't have kids or have more than 2.0 kids....but the reality is, they are being selfish.

Atheism is the road that kills off humanity. You shouldn't be proud to be an atheist.
14-07-2016, 10:06 PM
(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 12:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Birth control is voluntary. Japan's birth rate is low due to cultural and economic factors (primarily based around the country's work culture, which demands obscenely long hours, and high prices for living space demanding still more time) which cannot be controlled or circumvented, not contraceptives. Japan wants to raise its birth rate. Its families simply do not have the economic means to do so.

Japan has one of the strongest economies in the world. It can easily sustain a fertility rate of 2.1 which your article claims is necessary to sustain the population. In Japan they are simply choosing to have less children. They are choosing to work for themselves instead of their offspring. Consequently, they are a doomed nation.

We are a doomed species if we go the way Japan is going. Deeply religious people will go forth and multiply. Deeply religious people will tell themselves that God will provide for any children God decides to give them. Atheistic or nominally religious people will not. They will rationalize why they can't have kids or have more than 2.0 kids....but the reality is, they are being selfish.

Atheism is the road that kills off humanity. You shouldn't be proud to be an atheist.

This seems to be a strange notion of how events have happened in the history of the world to contrast some feared future.

What do you think the past and current world of generations of people were filled with? Many many generations of religious people having children. Hell, tons of atheists, especially the ones of the current industrialized and not atheists of communist cultures, were raised by religious people who felt god was guiding their life and providing for them and would provide for their children's future... and they taught their children that. And at the same likely rates, if not higher unless informations ability to spread slows or actual acts of legitimate evidence of intervening deities appear, the same as it ever was scenarios will continue onward.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-07-2016, 10:17 PM
(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Complete and utter bullshit.

Outright rejection of facts is not going to get you anywhere.

(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  In Japan they are simply choosing to have less children. They are choosing to work for themselves instead of their offspring. Consequently, they are a doomed nation.

Which, even if it were true, would make their cultural decision to refrain from reproduction the problem, not contraceptives.

(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Atheism is the road that kills off humanity.

Oh, is that the way this argument is going? Sorry. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that this was just an interesting, if incorrect, hypothesis about the reasons behind Japan's population decline, rather than absolute blithering insanity.

Unfortunately, your bare assertion and active rejection of the actual facts behind the reasons for Japan's population decline are not going to convince anyone.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 5 users Like Unbeliever's post
14-07-2016, 10:19 PM
(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Atheism is the road that kills off humanity. You shouldn't be proud to be an atheist.

Atheists don't like sex???

Who knew? Drinking Beverage

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-07-2016, 10:27 PM
(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  

Religion is one hell of a drug

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
14-07-2016, 10:46 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 10:52 PM by DLJ.)
(14-07-2016 07:58 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
To assume that these countries are just as religious as they used to be is an error on your part.

Nope. It was an error on your part... as I was pointing out.

Deeply religious people have babies in sufficient numbers to sustain the population

Indeed. But what I was saying was that you have your causes and your effects muddled up.

People have many babies as a contingency plan (avoiding saying "back up" so as not to upset Moms) due to poverty, lack of education etc. These factors are also healthy petri dishes for the god-virus.

Other deeply religious peoples practiced celibacy and guess what... they didn't "have babies in sufficient numbers to sustain the population".

This site, by promoting atheism is in effect promoting a path that currently leads to the elimination of the human species.

I think the word you were looking for was 'sustainability' not 'elimination'.

If humans are around 1,000,000 years from now, they will probably be the descendants of radical islamists, devout Christians, and orthodox jews.

I doubt we would be Homo Sapiens Sapiens by then... more likely Homo Cyber Sapiens or some such.

But yes, you might be right. However, the tribal nature of these cultures will keep the populations down ... see Boko Haram and the Nigerian famine.

By your reasoning, atheists will become extinct. Presumably that's a win? So what are you worrying about?

Dodgy

The religious will continue to over-breed with the resource issues that that entails and of course, will continue to kill each other over whose god has the biggest ego.

Are you saying that that is what happened on the other planets?

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
14-07-2016, 10:51 PM
World Population Clock: 7.4 Billion People (2016) - Worldometers

Yeah, I don't think sex is a problem. I see the devastation of bees as being a far greater concern. And frogs.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
14-07-2016, 11:02 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 11:07 PM by Full Circle.)
(14-07-2016 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  Until not long ago lots of children were also needed for labor. Farms needed as many hands as they could get to thrive. Everything was done by hand.

Perhaps if more things were done by hand we wouldn’t have the population problem we currently have. Angel

We should start a movement, Farms Against Population.

[Image: UU7D6Wc.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-07-2016, 11:22 PM
(14-07-2016 11:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  Until not long ago lots of children were also needed for labor. Farms needed as many hands as they could get to thrive. Everything was done by hand.

Perhaps if more things were done by hand we wouldn’t have the population problem we currently have. Angel

We should start a movement, Farms Against Population.

[Image: UU7D6Wc.gif?zoom=2]

your right everyone should F.A.P hard together and often Thumbsup

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post