The Great Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-07-2016, 11:54 PM
RE: The Great Filter
(14-07-2016 10:51 PM)Banjo Wrote:  World Population Clock: 7.4 Billion People (2016) - Worldometers

Yeah, I don't think sex is a problem. I see the devastation of bees as being a far greater concern. And frogs.

indeed the planets critical ecosystems will collapse long before condoms kill us

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
14-07-2016, 11:59 PM
(14-07-2016 11:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 04:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  Until not long ago lots of children were also needed for labor. Farms needed as many hands as they could get to thrive. Everything was done by hand.

Perhaps if more things were done by hand we wouldn’t have the population problem we currently have. Angel

We should start a movement, Farms Against Population.

[Image: UU7D6Wc.gif?zoom=2]

That movement sounds like hokey cokey to me.

In, out, in, out, shake it all about.

Blink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-07-2016, 01:55 AM
(14-07-2016 10:17 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Complete and utter bullshit.

Outright rejection of facts is not going to get you anywhere.

The economy of Japan, which is the third strongest in the world, can certainly support a fertility rate of 2.1. Economic reasons are not behind Japan's low fertility rate. The claim was utter bullshit and not a "fact" so I called it out as such.

(14-07-2016 10:17 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 09:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  In Japan they are simply choosing to have less children. They are choosing to work for themselves instead of their offspring. Consequently, they are a doomed nation.

Which, even if it were true, would make their cultural decision to refrain from reproduction the problem, not contraceptives.

Japan has a large atheist/agnostic population. It is not a religious country by any means. Contraception is the tool which destroys Japan(and possibly, the rest of humanity). Atheism/Secularism is the culture which demands that tool be easily accessible. If the Japanese were devoutly religious their population would likely not be cratering.
15-07-2016, 02:12 AM
(14-07-2016 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Indeed. But what I was saying was that you have your causes and your effects muddled up.

People have many babies as a contingency plan (avoiding saying "back up" so as not to upset Moms) due to poverty, lack of education etc. These factors are also healthy petri dishes for the god-virus.

Other deeply religious peoples practiced celibacy and guess what... they didn't "have babies in sufficient numbers to sustain the population".

What you said was Poland and the Philippians are religious countries but their fertility rates are dropping. I countered by claiming that most of the population professes a religious affiliation but they certainly are not as religious as they used to be. As countries become less religious, there fertility rates become less and less. You can't count on profession as an accurate measure of how religious a person is and by extension a country.

Considering babies as "back up" or contingency plans is an atheistic world view. Deeply religious people have lots of babies because they feel they are fulfilling God's will. To them babies are gifts from God and not some back up plan.

(14-07-2016 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 07:58 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
This site, by promoting atheism is in effect promoting a path that currently leads to the elimination of the human species.

I think the word you were looking for was 'sustainability' not 'elimination'.

Nope, I arguing that perhaps atheism is a cancer that will destroy humanity. "Elimination" is the more suitable word.

(14-07-2016 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The religious will continue to over-breed with the resource issues that that entails and of course, will continue to kill each other over whose god has the biggest ego.

Are you saying that that is what happened on the other planets?

I am saying that perhaps on other planets, intelligent/technological civilizations did not last because of an over use of birth control. Atheism/Secularism encourage that over use while religion discourages it.

Many of you atheists think the world would be a better place without religion. But that might not be true. We might need religion to become a long lasting technological/intelligent civilization. That is what I am asking you to consider.
15-07-2016, 03:07 AM
At work.
Read Heywood's last post.

Consider

Yup, I'll reject your hypothesis .

No time for longer posting.
15-07-2016, 03:38 AM
(15-07-2016 02:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Indeed. But what I was saying was that you have your causes and your effects muddled up.

People have many babies as a contingency plan (avoiding saying "back up" so as not to upset Moms) due to poverty, lack of education etc. These factors are also healthy petri dishes for the god-virus.

Other deeply religious peoples practiced celibacy and guess what... they didn't "have babies in sufficient numbers to sustain the population".

What you said was Poland and the Philippians are religious countries but their fertility rates are dropping. I countered by claiming that most of the population professes a religious affiliation but they certainly are not as religious as they used to be. As countries become less religious, there fertility rates become less and less. You can't count on profession as an accurate measure of how religious a person is and by extension a country.

Considering babies as "back up" or contingency plans is an atheistic world view. Deeply religious people have lots of babies because they feel they are fulfilling God's will. To them babies are gifts from God and not some back up plan.

(14-07-2016 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think the word you were looking for was 'sustainability' not 'elimination'.

Nope, I arguing that perhaps atheism is a cancer that will destroy humanity. "Elimination" is the more suitable word.

(14-07-2016 10:46 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The religious will continue to over-breed with the resource issues that that entails and of course, will continue to kill each other over whose god has the biggest ego.

Are you saying that that is what happened on the other planets?

I am saying that perhaps on other planets, intelligent/technological civilizations did not last because of an over use of birth control. Atheism/Secularism encourage that over use while religion discourages it.

Many of you atheists think the world would be a better place without religion. But that might not be true. We might need religion to become a long lasting technological/intelligent civilization. That is what I am asking you to consider.

Why don't you respond to what I say rather than what you think I say?

Are you my ex-wife?

Ohmy

(15-07-2016 02:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  ...
Many of you atheists think the world would be a better place without religion.

Actually, I think the world would be a better place without people.

Girl_nails

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
15-07-2016, 03:40 AM
(15-07-2016 02:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  As countries become less religious, there fertility rates become less and less.
How come that the Czech Republic, the least religious country in the EU and the third least religious country in the entire world (second only to China and Sweden), has a higher fertility rate than virtually all of its much more religious neighboring countries? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-07-2016, 04:04 AM
(14-07-2016 06:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  With that said, I don't agree with the conclusions you drew. As DLJ pointed out, there are some gaps in your logic that I think you should address. Going entirely on my own personal observations here, I also notice that agricultural societies tend to have more children because they need hands to work the fields.

Some religious people have lots of children, but some non-religious people do, too. I don't see the correlation you see.

The following suggests that there significant differences in the fertility rate of the religious versus the non religious. Surely there are some non-religious people who have lots of children, but those are not the norm.

[Image: PF_15.04.02_ProjectionsOverview_totalFer..._640px.png]

(14-07-2016 06:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Most Christians that I encounter are also of the opinion that only their religion is the correct and proper way to live life, so I'm guessing that part of the argument you're trying to make is that large families can be associated with Christianity, not just religion (please correct me if I'm wrong.) Chassidic families within Judaism are specifically aiming for at least 8 kids (and it's not because of a refusal to use birth control, as it is with people of some other religions.)

My argument doesn't depend on the existence of God or the validity of any religion. It rest on the fact that religious people have a higher fertility rate than non religious people. If everyone in the world adopted atheism, humanity would be doomed because non-religious simply do not reproduce in sufficient numbers to sustain a population.

It is kinda ironic actually. Atheism cannot exist without religion. Atheist populations would die off and the only reason they do not is because they continue to bring in converts who come from religious populations.
15-07-2016, 04:17 AM
(15-07-2016 03:40 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 02:12 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  As countries become less religious, there fertility rates become less and less.
How come that the Czech Republic, the least religious country in the EU and the third least religious country in the entire world (second only to China and Sweden), has a higher fertility rate than virtually all of its much more religious neighboring countries? Consider

[Image: czech-republic-fertility-rate-total-birt...607310000n]

Fertility rates naturally bounce around a little bit. The above is what I found for the Czech republic.
15-07-2016, 05:54 AM
(15-07-2016 04:04 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  It is kinda ironic actually. Atheism cannot exist without religion. Atheist populations would die off and the only reason they do not is because they continue to bring in converts who come from religious populations.

No, atheism would die out as a concept because theism would have died. Religion is the problem, not the solution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user