The Great Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-07-2016, 12:54 PM
RE: The Great Filter
(15-07-2016 11:13 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  If you think the best argument for religion is that it motivates us to have enough children to survive, I can live with that.

You didn't claim religion was true. You didn't claim it was backed by strong evidence or that we should merely believe it on faith. You didn't claim that it was ethically profound, or even positive for humanity. You didn't claim it best explained our deep human questions, or granted us meaning.

What you said was, we need it for a purpose nothing whatsoever to do with its message.

Look at all the ground you have given.

Christopher Hitchens always said it best. "This feebleness derives from the fact that until recently, Christians could simply burn or silence anybody who asked any inconvenient questions."

That's what I said ... Utilitarianism. It produces a good (to him) result, therefore it's useful. The ends justify the means. Great ethic that. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-07-2016, 04:15 PM
(15-07-2016 12:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ....
That's what I said ... Utilitarianism. It produces a good (to him) result, therefore it's useful. The ends justify the means. Great ethic that. Facepalm

Spock would not approve of your sarcasm.

15-07-2016, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2016 04:53 PM by Deesse23.)
(15-07-2016 04:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 12:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ....

Spock would not approve of your sarcasm.

Spock doesnt exist!
He rose from the dead in the next movie. Havent you learned anything from the bible? If they tell you someone rose from the dead, they are trying to rip you off...intellectually. Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
15-07-2016, 04:52 PM
(15-07-2016 04:39 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 04:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Spock would not approve of your sarcasm.

Spock doesnt exist!
He rose from the dead in the next movie. Havent you learned anything from the bible? If they tell you someone raised from the dead, they are trying to rip you off...intellectually. Tongue

Yeah but we got Star Trek IV out of it. Thumbsup

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
15-07-2016, 05:08 PM
(15-07-2016 06:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 04:17 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  [Image: czech-republic-fertility-rate-total-birt...607310000n]

Fertility rates naturally bounce around a little bit. The above is what I found for the Czech republic.
Can you explain how that graph addresses the question I asked?

Well you didn't give me any real data to answer your question. You should have provided the fertility rates of all the countries you had in mind. I was lazy and didn't really hunt for it.

The point I was trying to make is that fertility data is going to have some noise in it. Suppose there is a 24 hour black out in Prague in the middle of winter. Fertility might increase during that year. It might be that the fertility rate in the Czech republic is bouncing up due to noise and the neighboring countries are bouncing down due to noise and you observing an anomaly caused by happenstance.

Do you agree with the premise that atheistic/secular families have less children than religious ones?
15-07-2016, 06:08 PM
(15-07-2016 07:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  This assumes that if the population of humans world-wide started plummeting, that humans wouldn't reevaluate their priorities and work to continue the species.

One option is to require women of child bearing age to get permits for birth control. I'd rather that people have more babies because they feel it is God's will than from some government mandate.

Financial incentives might help in the short term. But as mass automation kicks in people won't be interested in goods. They will be so cheap they will be practically free. People will be more interested in personal time....and babies take away from personal time.

I just don't see atheistic populations thriving. They will die out unless there is a theistic population feeding them.
15-07-2016, 06:13 PM
(15-07-2016 08:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Let’s see here.

Scandanavian countries have some of the world’s highest percentage of atheist per capita and yet here we have Norway with one of the highest birthrates in all of Europe

The birth rate in Scandanavian countries is not high enough to sustain the population.
15-07-2016, 06:16 PM
(15-07-2016 07:54 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  So if we're going to argue about the consequences of belief or non-belief, rather than which position is accurate, let's actually LOOK at the consequences.

The atheistic/secular populations do not have a fertility rate high enough to sustain the population. The ACTUAL consequence of that is the atheistic/secular populations will die out unless they bring in converts from the religious populations. If everyone becomes atheistic or secular we are doomed as a species unless some other intervention is made to increase fertility rates.
15-07-2016, 06:17 PM
(15-07-2016 06:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 07:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  This assumes that if the population of humans world-wide started plummeting, that humans wouldn't reevaluate their priorities and work to continue the species.

One option is to require women of child bearing age to get permits for birth control. I'd rather that people have more babies because they feel it is God's will than from some government mandate.

Financial incentives might help in the short term. But as mass automation kicks in people won't be interested in goods. They will be so cheap they will be practically free. People will be more interested in personal time....and babies take away from personal time.

I just don't see atheistic populations thriving. They will die out unless there is a theistic population feeding them.

The populations of Northern European countries have proven you wrong.
Your speculative opinions are worthless.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-07-2016, 06:18 PM
(15-07-2016 11:12 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  EDIT: It is also laughable to suggest that religion is the cause behind high population growth on the assumption that all religions both contain a commandment to go breed like rabbits and that all populations which follow these religions take that commandment seriously. Honestly, the vast majority of Christians don't even take that particular commandment seriously.

I agree the vast majority of Christians do not take that commandment seriously. But enough Christians do such that Christian populations do not have to worry about slowly dying off.