The Great Filter

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-07-2016, 06:20 PM
RE: The Great Filter
(15-07-2016 06:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The populations of Northern European countries have proven you wrong.
Your speculative opinions are worthless.

You are wrong(which isn't unusual for you). Look at the fertility rates of Scandinavian countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so...ility_rate
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2016, 06:20 PM
(15-07-2016 05:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do you agree with the premise that atheistic/secular families have less children than religious ones?

I got 4. You? Drinking Beverage

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-07-2016, 06:23 PM
(15-07-2016 06:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 05:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Do you agree with the premise that atheistic/secular families have less children than religious ones?

I got 4. You? Drinking Beverage

More than 4
15-07-2016, 06:24 PM
(15-07-2016 06:23 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 06:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I got 4. You? Drinking Beverage

More than 4

Bastard! Angry

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-07-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: The Great Filtervrs off it will be with Nevis have three
As a female atheist-- not many of us participating in this discussion and I'm sure asshole OP will discount my view--I tried to have two, including multiple miscarriages, and was happy after those with having one. If you don't have to suffer the physical consequences of childbirth it's easy to be disapproving about birth control. I have no interest in stressing my body with pregnancy after pregnancy. (Neither do my religious friends; I know almost no one with more than three kids. So what? That's completely rational in a society where raising a kid requires an extra $150k to fund their education, rather than raising a bunch of kids destined to support a family farm.)
Technology makes it easier to support a smaller population. I don't think there is any danger of the birth rate falling to human population endangerment. If we kill ourselves as a species it will be with pollution and climate change and weapons, not with atheism.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
15-07-2016, 06:54 PM
(15-07-2016 06:16 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The atheistic/secular populations do not have a fertility rate high enough to sustain the population.

Japan is not an atheist population.

Japan's low birth rate has nothing to do with religion or contraceptives.

There is not even a correlation between atheism and population decline.

Your argument fails on literally every possible count.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-07-2016, 07:08 PM
(15-07-2016 06:16 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If everyone becomes atheistic or secular we are doomed as a species unless some other intervention is made to increase fertility rates.

You have this all backwards, we are doomed as a species only if we continue this upward spiral of ever increasing mouths to feed. At 7.4 billion people we could lose a net of 100,000 a day for the next 100 years and we’d still have more than half the current world population!

Put another way, losing a net of 100,000 people per day for the next 100 years would get us back to the world population of...drumroll please... 1974!
(7.4B minus 3.65B = 3.75B) and (365x100x100,000=3.65B)

[Image: J_curve_graph.png]

So running around with your hair on fire saying we need religion to ensure our survival is farcical. You are the Chicken Little of this story.

[Image: 18451950-chicken-little-the-sky-is-falling.jpg]

Luckily...

"The world’s seemingly relentless march toward overpopulation achieved a notable milestone in 2012: Somewhere on the planet, according to U.S. Census Bureau estimates, the 7 billionth living person came into existence.

Lucky No. 7,000,000,000 probably celebrated his or her birthday sometime in March and added to a population that’s already stressing the planet’s limited supplies of food, energy, and clean water. Should this trend continue, as the Los Angeles Times noted in a five-part series marking the occasion, by midcentury, “living conditions are likely to be bleak for much of humanity.”

A somewhat more arcane milestone, meanwhile, generated no media coverage at all: It took humankind 13 years to add its 7 billionth. That’s longer than the 12 years it took to add the 6 billionth—the first time in human history that interval had grown. (The 2 billionth, 3 billionth, 4 billionth, and 5 billionth took 123, 33, 14, and 13 years, respectively.) In other words, the rate of global population growth has slowed. And it’s expected to keep slowing. Indeed, according to experts’ best estimates, the total population of Earth will stop growing within the lifespan of people alive today.

And then it will fall.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology...oding.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
15-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Meanwhile the total number of human beings living in absolute poverty grows daily because we fuck like rabbits since god told us to go forth and multiply...Facepalm

[Image: ourworldindata_barchart-abolute-number-p...overty.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-07-2016, 07:20 PM
(15-07-2016 06:08 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I just don't see atheistic populations thriving. They will die out unless there is a theistic population feeding them.

That is a bizarre statement.
If there is no theistic population then there is no population labeled 'atheist'. It becomes a non-issue when no one is a theist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2016, 07:22 PM
(15-07-2016 06:45 PM)julep Wrote:  As a female atheist-- not many of us participating in this discussion and I'm sure asshole OP will discount my view--I tried to have two, including multiple miscarriages, and was happy after those with having one. If you don't have to suffer the physical consequences of childbirth it's easy to be disapproving about birth control. I have no interest in stressing my body with pregnancy after pregnancy. (Neither do my religious friends; I know almost no one with more than three kids. So what? That's completely rational in a society where raising a kid requires an extra $150k to fund their education, rather than raising a bunch of kids destined to support a family farm.)
Technology makes it easier to support a smaller population. I don't think there is any danger of the birth rate falling to human population endangerment. If we kill ourselves as a species it will be with pollution and climate change and weapons, not with atheism.

You sing it sister Heart

[Image: giphy.gif]