The Great Flood Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
RE: The Great Flood Question
(09-05-2012 03:28 PM)free2011 Wrote:  KingChosen I am just trying to learn here as I ask this. Are you saying that the Bible can be both inspired and false? It seems as if you are stating that the stories are only meant to explain things in a way that the primitive people can understand. So the whole Adam and Eve, Moses, Noah, Virgin Birth stuff aren't real just parables to help them understand a complex world? Not sure I would hang my hat on following that type of information.
Yes and no. It's a bit more complicated than that. I do believe in Moses, Noah, and the virgin birth as literal; however, taken from the way that Genesis 1-3 is written, aspects of Adam and Eve were never meant to be taken literally.

Moses used Adam and Eve as archetypes because they were understood as the Hebrew's beginning (since they were the oldest known Hebrews). Adam and Eve were representations of humanity and the story borrowed from common creation myths of the time to help explain to the Hebrews God's covenant with humanity. Moses basically took real people and inserted them into a myth because it would be easy for the people to understand what he was trying to convey.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 06:20 PM
RE: The Great Flood Question
Are these the events described in those early books of the Bible that were "found" [1] by high priest Hilkiah?
[1] 2 Kings 22-23

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply