The Great Gatsby

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 12:34 PM
The Great Gatsby
Has anyone seen the trailer for The Great Gatsby yet?

Its being directed by baz luhrmann. It looks absolutely gorgeous visually (from what I've seen in the trailer). I'm so excited for it to come out.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2013, 12:37 PM
RE: The Great Gatsby
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I read the book in high school and hated it, but maybe this will change my mind. Smile
29-01-2013, 12:47 PM
(29-01-2013 12:37 PM)kineo Wrote:  Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing it too. I read the book in high school and hated it, but maybe this will change my mind. Smile
Yeah I tried to read it as well. I didn't much like it at the time. I should try reading it again now that I'm older and have more patience for that sort of thing.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
29-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Ooh, I'm probably at the other end of the opinion on this one. I'm untrusting of Baz Luhrmann... his ideas and previous work has been amusing but ... just not for this. I'll have to see it before I can say for sure, though.
I loved and still love Gatsby... I don't know if changing it will make it any "better". I just hope it doesn't fuck it up so much that people lose the point.
And I'm not in love with Leonardo DiCaprio, either ... although, he's probably about the right age for the part. Consider Hmm.

I don't know if this story and especially these particular words can translate to images anywhere but inside my own mind; I think I'd rather read Fitzgerald than just look at the pictures.

Like I said; hmm. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
29-01-2013, 03:04 PM
(29-01-2013 02:00 PM)kim Wrote:  Ooh, I'm probably at the other end of the opinion on this one. I'm untrusting of Baz Luhrmann... his ideas and previous work has been amusing but ... just not for this. I'll have to see it before I can say for sure, though.
I loved and still love Gatsby... I don't know if changing it will make it any "better". I just hope it doesn't fuck it up so much that people lose the point.
And I'm not in love with Leonardo DiCaprio, either ... although, he's probably about the right age for the part. Consider Hmm.

I don't know if this story and especially these particular words can translate to images anywhere but inside my own mind; I think I'd rather read Fitzgerald than just look at the pictures.

Like I said; hmm. Drinking Beverage
I can certainly understand fear of a movie destroying a beloved story (Tolkienite, hello Wink ) There is NOTHING better than the pictures painted in your mind by a wonderfully written book.

I'm mostly excited to see the movie because I am intrigued by Baz's artistic visual style. I just think its beautiful.

As for Dicaprio...I used to really dislike him. But as hes gotten older the roles hes chosen to do have been far more interesting, and his acting has improved remarkably, so I'm trying to take it easier on him.

[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post