The Great Global Warming Swindle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2011, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 05:16 PM by ashley.hunt60.)
The Great Global Warming Swindle

My mother recently was shown this video and now believes man-made global warming is a fraud. I'm not too familiar with the global warming debate(but I've watched more hours of videos than her), but I want to nip this nasty conspiracy the butt. I've learned if I don't do it soon, my mom will become too hardened to change.

She almost became a Christian because all of the Bible's end times prophecies were coming true. I fixed that one out the first time I heard her talk about it. But I'm in new lands here, and showing me an article or a video(series) debunking some of these claims would be great. Since she's only seen this one video and nothing more, I doubt I'm going to have to fight off argument after argument. I believe there is some YouTuber who does a lot on global warming and offsetting this conspiracy, but I can't recall the name.

So, yeah. Suggestions.

And the above video, the one that sold my mother into all this, gives me a head ache. I don't have to be intimately familiar with global warming science to see the logical errors and plays on emotions.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 05:15 PM

RE: The Great Global Warming Swindle
You want to look for potholer54 (his "Monckton Bunkum" series among other things), and greenman3610 ("climate denial crock of the week"). Both are very strong on evidence, and excellent at debunking the deniers.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Otto_Tellick's post
08-06-2011, 04:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned global warming is coming, but it may be a natural state of Earth, not specifically man-made phenomena. One volcanic eruption pollutes more than all the man made pollution in the last 20 years, so I'm not so sure that people are the only one responsible, we may just speed thing up a little bit, but you can never be sure with things like this. We should be careful about the environment, but that does not guaranty that the warming will stop. Also we have a sun and solar flares with a different solar activity every year and that is something we can not control.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-06-2011, 06:10 AM
For me the definite understanding was when I looked at islands sinking in India at a rather fast rate due to the arctic. Global warming has been franchised like everything else, but the basic thing to realize is that the way we live does impact the earth whether it's drastic or simple. The focuses on better habits towards our ecological imprint are a good thing. It's obvious when you go to a junkyard that you can see a mound of non bio-degradable crap. Whether the atmosphere is changing due primarily to us or not we are polluting. We can tell this by traveling place to place and breathing the air. No one argues about air pollution.

Even without having a definite answer to how much of a change humans make, it is obvious that the climate is changing in a direct way. And, whether it is doing so simply because of natural forces, or we are responsible. There is no reason we should ignore possible ways to improve upon the situation.

Recycling is also a very useful tool to build upon, as it allows us to gain more skills in the use of renewable resources. There are things to avoid within the global warming campaign, but many things coming from it are useful either way. It's fine to be skeptical at the propaganda that surrounds the matter, but the basics make perfect sense.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
08-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Potholer54 is quite excellent, if you want solid facts from peer reviewed papers he is one of the best sources I've found to explain things in a way even children could understand. I would highly recommend watching everything he has up.

Hey! We can't carbon date this you idiot! There's no f*cking carbon in it!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Atheist Troll's post
08-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I gave up on the whole global warming thing when it stopped being a scientific issue and became a political and economic issue. At that point, I simply decided I couldn't trust either side. Let's just try to reduce pollution because it's bad for our health, and whatever happens in 200 years, frankly, I'll leave it to future generations.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
[+] 2 users Like sy2502's post
09-06-2011, 06:02 AM
As far as I understand it , 70% of global warming is man-made. (the rest 30% is solar)
See the research papers :
Benestad, Solanki, Lockwood, Scafetta, Lean and Erlykin
Scafetta differs a bit but the rest reach a consensus of the percentage.

Ashley , get your mom to read the papers out loud with you and make sure she understands the terminology. I have no doubt the evidence will persuade her Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
10-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Galgamesh, if that is true, then where is all the volcanic activity? 0%? No way, volcanoes are a great way to speed up the global warming, huge amounts of highly toxic and dangerous particles cover up whole countries, blocking the sun, SO2 and CO2 emissions are literally sky high... That is something no man can do. We can accumulate it during long period, but nature can do it in a matter of hours. So those statistics are not all that correct. Not even close. In the past a lot of climate changes were happening and there were no man-made industries at a time, but every climate change is somehow associated with some big volcanic eruption. Don't rule out nature as a factor for climate changes, it is so very important in the whole picture.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
10-06-2011, 07:53 AM
(10-06-2011 01:13 AM)Filox Wrote:  Galgamesh, if that is true, then where is all the volcanic activity? 0%? No way, volcanoes are a great way to speed up the global warming, huge amounts of highly toxic and dangerous particles cover up whole countries, blocking the sun, SO2 and CO2 emissions are literally sky high... That is something no man can do. We can accumulate it during long period, but nature can do it in a matter of hours. So those statistics are not all that correct. Not even close. In the past a lot of climate changes were happening and there were no man-made industries at a time, but every climate change is somehow associated with some big volcanic eruption. Don't rule out nature as a factor for climate changes, it is so very important in the whole picture.

From here

Quote:Gas studies at volcanoes worldwide have helped volcanologists tally up a global volcanic CO2 budget in the same way that nations around the globe have cooperated to determine how much CO2 is released by human activity through the burning of fossil fuels. Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.

This seems like a huge amount of CO2, but a visit to the U.S. Department of Energy's Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) website (http://cdiac.ornl.gov/) helps anyone armed with a handheld calculator and a high school chemistry text put the volcanic CO2 tally into perspective. Because while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value.

You can search around on other government sites, they all say the basic thing; studies show that volcanoes release an estimated 65 to 319 million tonnes per year. Humans let out 30 billion tonnes per year.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
There is another factor here that is extremely significant. This site shows the deforestation rates for 1990 to 2005. It illustartes the massive scale at which we are eliminating the most important factor in controlling greenhouse gasses. Humans not only contribute huge amounts of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere, but also destroy the most important factor in removing them. The average deforestation between 2000 and 2005 was 7,317,000 hectares per year. Thats over 7 million hectares every year. That is a HUGE number. One that's difficult to even grasp. I'm not sure how anyone could think this doesn't affect the world negatively.
Our actions are causing global warming. There is no reasonable way to doubt this. The information is out there and easily accessable from reliable sources. When global warming becomes a political and economic issue, that is no reason to stop trusting the data. Global warming IS a scientific issue. The fact that it has also become political and economic not only fails to negate the scientific data, but actually supports it, although granted one must scrutinize the information more carefully.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]