The Great Omniscience Fallacy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2012 09:48 PM by Mr Woof.)
The Great Omniscience Fallacy.
Christians wrongly claim that God is all knowing when in accordance with human ability to reason, total knowledge cannot be understood beyond its point of progression. Knowledge beyond what we have learned is an open area,not in keeping with potential 'out there' phenomena where moral directives can be justifiably applied.

The problem with evolving knowledge, as distinct from potential knowledge, is no reason for people not to hold sane religious views about esoteric possibilities ,so long as they do not impinge their 'out there' moralities upon carefully formulated secular ethics that apply to life as best we can rationally appraise it.

The all knowing, all powerful and loving God, cosmicaly and secularly speaking ,belongs to the domain of hopefull speculation and while idealism is not a bad thing, attempts to force nebulous speculation upon the masses is highly undesirable.

"Lean,keen, and so serene"~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2012, 05:33 AM
RE: The Great Omniscience Fallacy.
Oooh! I know.

"justifiably appled"... Is that a reference to Eve and the tree of all knowledge?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-08-2012, 05:37 AM
(20-08-2012 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Oooh! I know.

"justifiably appled"... Is that a reference to Eve and the tree of all knowledge?

Tsk! I managed to restrain myself, too.

As a simple typo, it did produce a smile... as my mind conjured images of apples being thrown at moral directives. That's one philosophy lecture that I somehow missed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2012, 05:46 AM
(20-08-2012 05:37 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Oooh! I know.

Tsk! I managed to restrain myself, too.

As a simple typo, it did produce a smile... as my mind conjured images of apples being thrown at moral directives. That's one philosophy lecture that I somehow missed.

I tried to restrain myself too but Mr Woof's post hadn't received its due attention and was slipping down the View Today's Posts list. I don't like to see that happen.
But as there was no question in the OP, I couldn't think of anything else to add.

Pathetic, isn't it?

20-08-2012, 05:47 AM
(20-08-2012 05:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I tried to restrain myself too but Mr Woof's post hadn't received its due attention and was slipping down the View Today's Posts list. I don't like to see that happen.
But as there was no question in the OP, I couldn't think of anything else to add.

Pathetic, isn't it?

I was a bit reticent to add anything, as the last omniscience discussion was a bit too recent.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
20-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Gentlemen you do me an injustice.
There are words of wisdom to be found in literature, poetry, even dare I say it , The Koran.
If you can only come up with snide remarks perhaps you should stick to K'C S and stop replicating each other.

20-08-2012, 11:47 PM
(19-08-2012 11:25 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Christians wrongly claim that God is all knowing when in accordance with human ability to reason, total knowledge cannot be understood beyond its point of progression.

Have no clue what this means.
What does the claim that God is all knowing have to do with the reasoning ability of a human?
Apples and oranges...

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
21-08-2012, 12:08 AM
(20-08-2012 11:47 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  Apples and oranges...

See, now, that's what DLJ and I were saying...
21-08-2012, 12:12 AM
(21-08-2012 12:08 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 11:47 PM)Quidsane Wrote:  Apples and oranges...

See, now, that's what DLJ and I were saying...

I set you up for that one. You're welcome!Big Grin

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Quidsane's post
21-08-2012, 12:46 AM
(21-08-2012 12:12 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(21-08-2012 12:08 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  See, now, that's what DLJ and I were saying...

I set you up for that one. You're welcome!Big Grin

You are simply distorting my remarks by going off on a tangent.
Nothing new about nit picking a few words and looking for group supporters.