The Great Rehearsal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2016, 08:53 AM
The Great Rehearsal
The Great Rehearsal by Carl Van Doren was originally published in 1948. I inherited a copy with my father's library. It is currently available in paperback so I think it is still being used for classes in American government. There were several copies on ebay last time I looked.

The book chronicles the development and reasons for our US constitution. The articles of confederation and their failure as a founding document are discussed.

I would rather listen to Wayne Newton doing a cover of Stairway to Heaven than discuss government and politics. Still, I found in this book one of the best descriptions of the founding of our Union.

The Federalist Papers is a good prequel if you want a follow up book. Just make sure you get the real thing, as there is at least one "revised" printing out there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Warts And All's post
29-11-2016, 01:36 AM
RE: The Great Rehearsal
(28-11-2016 08:53 AM)Warts And All Wrote:  Just make sure you get the real thing, as there is at least one "revised" printing out there.

What's wrong with a revised printing? I'd expect it to be more up to date.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-11-2016, 08:16 AM
RE: The Great Rehearsal
"Revised" as in edited/clipped/interpreted to endorse a particular set of beliefs. The 85 essays were written by Hamilton, Madison, and Jay to explain the provisions of the constitution and require no interpretation.
[+] 1 user Likes Warts And All's post