The Greatest Hoax ever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2013, 07:42 PM
RE: The Greatest Hoax ever
Christianity is good but religion writ large is better. And the nation state is better still. But.... the virtue of the family has bamboozled more people, more times and for longer than all of the above... Hands down.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2013, 08:59 PM
(24-04-2013 06:53 PM)Buddy Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you find one, please tell me. I'm trying my hardest.
No, you are not trying, you are being obtuse. You would never catch a Brook trout.

Oh, so this is about catching Brook Trout? Count me in! That's a pursuit that I'm tempted to call a religious experience.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
24-04-2013, 11:15 PM
What? Churches selling an invisible product and getting mindless drones to do what they want and open their wallets for them is all involved in a giant hoax? Whodathunkit...
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist in Westeros's post
25-04-2013, 09:23 PM
(24-04-2013 07:03 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 06:17 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  What part of it are you referring to as a "hoax?" That Christians exist? They exist my friend. That the religion known as Christianity exists? It exists. That the bible is a hoax? That sounds more likely to be what you were referring to (and more appropriate since quite a bit of the bible is pure bullshit).

No, not even that works. A hoax requires that the makers new what they were doing was false and did it anyway to deceive someone else.

To say that it's false is one thing.

To say that it's a hoax is something else entirely.

This is interesting.

You don't think the bible is a hoax?
25-04-2013, 09:27 PM
(24-04-2013 07:34 PM)Buddy Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 07:03 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  No, not even that works. A hoax requires that the makers new what they were doing was false and did it anyway to deceive someone else.

So, are you saying those practicing catholic shamanism by claiming they talked with the spirit of John Paul and found out that he cured the nun(forgot her name)from the grave at her request, actually believe this themselves? These are the top leadership of this catholic cult, and you are saying they believe this impossibility? This may be worse than a hoax. Einstein called it childish superstition. Thomas Jefferson called it monkish ignorance. Catholics turn out by the hundred of thousands just to catch a glimpse of the popemobile turning a corner. Jesus!

Quote:A hoax requires that the makers new what they were doing was false and did it anyway to deceive someone else
You don't think that Paul knew he was lying? Listen friend, cults can not grow without lies, pure fabrication, and the creation of miracles, otherwise no faith would be required. The bigger the lies, the more faith required, the bigger the cult, the bigger the payday, the bigger the hoax.

I totally 100% agree. Well said.
26-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes, Moses lied, then 4000 yrs. later , Joseph Smith told the same lie. The story of jesus is one of the most outrageous lies ever told. What makes it a hoax is the bait caught a few gullible ignorant people and voila....... 2ooo yrs, and 1.2 billion gullible souls later here we are. That's OK if you are not one of the gullible suckers, the mormons will save your soul anyway after your death. What's hilarious is they actually believe they are increasing their members, and the jews are upset the mormons are taking away their dead's souls. ROFL.
26-04-2013, 02:35 PM
(24-04-2013 07:34 PM)Buddy Wrote:  
(24-04-2013 07:03 PM)Foxcanine1 Wrote:  No, not even that works. A hoax requires that the makers new what they were doing was false and did it anyway to deceive someone else.

So, are you saying those practicing catholic shamanism by claiming they talked with the spirit of John Paul and found out that he cured the nun(forgot her name)from the grave at her request, actually believe this themselves? These are the top leadership of this catholic cult, and you are saying they believe this impossibility? This may be worse than a hoax. Einstein called it childish superstition. Thomas Jefferson called it monkish ignorance. Catholics turn out by the hundred of thousands just to catch a glimpse of the popemobile turning a corner. Jesus!

Quote:A hoax requires that the makers new what they were doing was false and did it anyway to deceive someone else
You don't think that Paul knew he was lying? Listen friend, cults can not grow without lies, pure fabrication, and the creation of miracles, otherwise no faith would be required. The bigger the lies, the more faith required, the bigger the cult, the bigger the payday, the bigger the hoax.

Actually, what I'm saying is that to call an entire collection of stories, based of off how people believed 2000 to 3000 years ago, a hoax is an oversimplification of what the bible is and how it came together. Can there be parts of the bible that were/are hoaxes, sure. I am far more doubtful of a claim that THE BIBLE, a collection of writings that span over 1000 years, by multiple authors, for multiple time periods, for multiple reasons is ( in it's entirety) a hoax. Not inspired by god, sure. Doesn't make sense in many regards, absolutely. A hoax, well, unless you can prove that the people who wrote all, if at least not most of the bible, did it without themselves believing a single thing they wrote. Then I'll call it a hoax.

Just an outsider looking inn.
27-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Video RE: The Greatest Hoax ever