The Greatest Possible Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2013, 03:22 AM
The Greatest Possible Prayer
Hey guys.

I was thinking for a bit recently, and I remembered about prayer, especially in the Christian context. Jesus said that any prayer would be answered (or something to that effect), so I was thinking, if any prayer could be answered, then is it possible to create a greatest prayer?

I guess "great" needs to be defined, huh? Hmm... As I thought of the question, I thought that the greatest prayer would be the end of all suffering, so I suppose that my assumption of "greatest" was that it means "most moral"?

And oh, as for other things, let's also assume that even though Yahweh is supposed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent, he can answer prayers and grant wishes. Let's also assume that any prayer can be answered with a "yes, you will immediately receive what you ask for unless if you specified to receive it at some other time".

Anyway, there might be something even greater. Do you guys have any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2013, 05:49 AM
RE: The Greatest Possible Prayer
A prayer for me to have enough power to change the world to my liking, because the way it is now would seem to indicate that those with power don't care enough about the suffering of others.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
If a god was omnipotent, we could test that be praying for all earthly thoughts of and earthly references to and memories of all gods to be wiped from the minds of all believers.

In other words, an omnipotent god could make itself disappear.

05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
IMHO, the greatest possible prayer is one of self-sacrifice, like Jesus's own. If you've ever prayed, "God, let me hurt. Let me take their pain and suffering. I wish I could be lost if it would help them to be found," you know about this "big" prayer.
05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
(05-03-2013 03:02 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  IMHO, the greatest possible prayer is one of self-sacrifice, like Jesus's own. If you've ever prayed, "God, let me hurt. Let me take their pain and suffering. I wish I could be lost if it would help them to be found," you know about this "big" prayer.
Why do you start with the presupposition that someone, somewhere has to be hurt?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2013, 06:23 PM
"IMHO, the greatest possible prayer is one of self-sacrifice, like Jesus's own. If you've ever prayed, "God, let me hurt. Let me take their pain and suffering. I wish I could be lost if it would help them to be found," you know about this "big" prayer."

One of the sickest parts of Christianity, the belief that something sent itself here, to forgive itself for something it did to us in the first place, then to kill itself, to forgive itself for something it did to us in the first place and that never happened (Evolution trumps Adam and Eve)..............

How people in the 21st century can find this morally acceptable is ridiculous (especially in the Western world)..........
05-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Have you read Mark Twain's The War Prayer? No one tops Twain in my view.

Written:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/twainwp.htm

Dramatized

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-03-2013, 07:00 PM
(05-03-2013 03:02 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  IMHO, the greatest possible prayer is one of self-sacrifice, like Jesus's own. If you've ever prayed, "God, let me hurt. Let me take their pain and suffering. I wish I could be lost if it would help them to be found," you know about this "big" prayer.

That would certainly show some compassion for the suffering, but it wouldn't show wisdom. To end all suffering is win-win, but to end all suffering except to yourself is win-lose. I think that a lot of Christians like this idea because it's what Jesus allegedly did, but did you realize that the suffering was unnecessary? Popular theology suggests that Jesus' death was what removed the penalty for sin, not the suffering he endured before death. I think this shows a lack of compassion from his father to allow this unnecessary suffering.

I think the greatest prayer would be for everyone on Earth to be saved. As this also fits the criteria of being within God's will (the usual excuse and limiting factor for a prayer not getting answered), God would answer it if someone asked. So why hasn't it been answered? I know when I was a Christian I prayed this several times, and I'm sure that others must have as well.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
This has a very Disney/Hollywood vibe to it. The person who uses one of their genie wishes to help someone else is free of the soul-stealing/slavery contract. The dog in All Dogs Go to Heaven sacrificed his life to save the little girl and so he's allowed back into heaven. Keanu Reeves kills himself to save a girl and so he's allowed into heaven (until Satan removes the goop from his cancer lungs and revives him).

Personally, I've never been impressed by the Christian god's power. Jesus himself personally came to earth and didn't do crap. He cured a handful of lepers instead of curing us of the disease entirely. He made a couple blind people see and walked on water. Whoopty doo. Why didn't he do something with global impact? Why didn't he give us a knowledge that would help us with suffering and future diseases? Why didn't he do anything helpful to anyone outside of a 10 foot radius?

If God was powerful, existed, and answered prayers, I'd say the greatest prayer would be to end this terrible existence. We are alive right now just to prove ourselves and pass a test to get into an afterlife. People are suffering and dying young and filled with misery during this little test. Someone needs to pray that God cease his playtime and allow everyone into heaven from here on out.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
"Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood." - Jesus

(thanks again to Vera for turning me onto the fact that it was written for Nina Simone)

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.