The Green Thread.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2010, 09:42 PM
The Green Thread.....
Ok, to start, for the record, I am not a hippie. I also can't stand the term "green" when used to mean something that has a positive environmental impact. Alas, it's what we know, so like many other buzz words I hate, I will use it here.

I hope this turns out to be something that isn't an argument, but instead somewhere that ideas can be shared, advice given, and questions asked.

What are you doing to make things better? What do you want to do? What do you wish you could do, but just don't know how? What advice can you give, or tips you can share that will help answer some of these questions?

P.S., GassyKitten, I'm counting on you to be me researcher here. You are great at finding links and stats, so get on it!! Wink

Just visiting.

-SR
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2010, 10:06 PM
RE: The Green Thread.....
I recycle? Even though that's been debunked on Bullshit! It's law in Japan. Anything and everything that can be recycled, must be. Tongue

Aside form that, I don't own a car and walk/carpool/public transit everywhere. I don't really plan on having one in the future, although I know I'll probably wind up needing one, living in America. I hope to live in a city where I won't, though.

I also support Nuclear Power. Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Power is a good one. Nuclear power is an excellent thing to support, especially when it comes to industry. Another great way to improve power issues is solar. It's finally getting to a point where it's affordable to set up, and efficient enough to make a big impact on the amount of power you draw from "the grid". Where I live, the power company takes that one step further. If my solar panels produce more electricity that I use, that power is sent on down the line, supplementing my neighbors usage, thus reducing the amount of power the company needs to provide. That reduction in power they need to provide is reflected as a credit on my bill. Then when I need more power than my panels provide, I draw from the grid, but my credit often covers a good portion of that, especially during the summer. So not only do I save money (in fact LOTS of it) I am reducing the amount of energy used by less "green" methods of energy production, for both me AND my neighbors. Next step...putting in a wind turbine to collect more free energy in the winter. Solar and wind energy compliment each other quite well. (Though in the city, most people can't put in a wind turbine).

Just visiting.

-SR
15-11-2010, 10:43 PM
WOW! That sounds like an amazing deal! o_o I hope more of that gets around! I'm tired of paying out my ass for electricity! xD Seems REALLY efficient, too!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2010, 12:25 AM
And here I thought you were dedicating a thread to me Tongue

I use public transit and a town draws its power from a nuclear reactor, it's just a few miles out of our limits, and I've been trying to oppose this notion of building a garbage incinerator that a few local politicians have decided is a good idea despite that fact that nobody wants the damn thing... I recycle and have become the "recycling nazi" in my house.

I'd like to get some solar panels but I'm still in my folks house and living on student debt so I don't exactly have the disposable income required Tongue Maybe one day, what do you think it would cost to get my own wind turbine?

16-11-2010, 01:49 AM
(16-11-2010 12:25 AM)Green Wrote:  Maybe one day, what do you think it would cost to get my own wind turbine?

The way technology works the price is always changing. It took me four years to pay off my student debt. If yours takes the same time, the price may be noticeably lower by then. The efficiency of the products is on the rise, too.
16-11-2010, 12:37 PM

(15-11-2010 09:42 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ok, to start, for the record, I am not a hippie. I also can't stand the term "green" when used to mean something that has a positive environmental impact. Alas, it's what we know, so like many other buzz words I hate, I will use it here.

I hope this turns out to be something that isn't an argument, but instead somewhere that ideas can be shared, advice given, and questions asked.

What are you doing to make things better? What do you want to do? What do you wish you could do, but just don't know how? What advice can you give, or tips you can share that will help answer some of these questions?

P.S., GassyKitten, I'm counting on you to be me researcher here. You are great at finding links and stats, so get on it!! Wink

You're so silly. Tongue

I respect a lot of what Japan is doing in order to recycle and reduce the tonnage in landfills there.
Adult diapers in Japan turned into fuel

It would behoove America a great deal to contract or buy systems like this for our own sake.

2009)Mazda Develops World-First Automated Recycling Technology for End-of-Life Vehicle Bumpers

HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation has developed a world-first recycling technology which enhances the process it uses to recycle used bumpers from vehicles, whose useful life has ended, into raw plastic resin for use in new vehicle bumpers. The new technology is the first to enable recycling of used bumpers from different manufacturers at the same time. Additionally, by automating processes to remove metal attachments, it significantly increases recycling efficiency.
This is especially of interest since I have a 1988 Mazda that I can't even take to the salvage yard, because the one location we have here has closed. And it breaks my heart to think this first new vehicle I ever owned is bound for a junk yard. But I'm going to try to sell it for parts, so at least she'll be of use to someone, on my front yard. Poor little truck. She had a strong will to live for a senior citizen, all these years. Sad

And then there's this. *Video* Plastic to Oil Fantastic OW2.0

The world's 10 craziest recycling programs

How'd I do, Stark? Wink
Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2010, 03:11 PM
You did great!
Haven't had the chance to read everything yet, but I knew I could depend on you. Wink

Just visiting.

-SR
18-11-2010, 10:34 AM
At the moment, the best thing that I am doing is walking/using public transport, although this is partly because I'm scared to drive in cities. But buses are great (and cheap!). The university I'm attending actually charges an arm and a leg for a parking pass and makes it mandatory for students to buy a bus pass with their tuition, so a lot of students prefer to take the bus or LRT.

I also recycle, but this is more a habit than anything.

I'm going to try out your advice Stark, and get some pots and soil and try growing some veggies indoors ^.^ Got any tips for making sure that I don't kill them?

--------------------

I also support wind power! Both BC and Alberta have enough wind to power the world, I swear o.0 (Esp. Southern Alberta... That place is ridiculously windy.) There are new windmills going up in my old hometown (which is also close to a huge hydroelectric dam). I think there are also tentative plans for another dam to be built too, although I think there is a lot of opposition to this plan at the moment 'cause it'll flood a lot of farm land if it does go up.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
18-11-2010, 11:00 AM

(18-11-2010 10:34 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  At the moment, the best thing that I am doing is walking/using public transport, although this is partly because I'm scared to drive in cities. But buses are great (and cheap!). The university I'm attending actually charges an arm and a leg for a parking pass and makes it mandatory for students to buy a bus pass with their tuition, so a lot of students prefer to take the bus or LRT.

I also recycle, but this is more a habit than anything.

I'm going to try out your advice Stark, and get some pots and soil and try growing some veggies indoors ^.^ Got any tips for making sure that I don't kill them?

--------------------

I also support wind power! Both BC and Alberta have enough wind to power the world, I swear o.0 (Esp. Southern Alberta... That place is ridiculously windy.) There are new windmills going up in my old hometown (which is also close to a huge hydroelectric dam). I think there are also tentative plans for another dam to be built too, although I think there is a lot of opposition to this plan at the moment 'cause it'll flood a lot of farm land if it does go up.

The thing about wind power is, there has to be enough wind to turn those massive turbines so as to produce the wattage. Otherwise, electricity (derived from coal mining), has to be employed.

Recycling is always great, because about 80% of consumer goods are recyclable, (paper, plastic, metal, glass, oil, corrugated) , while consumers only recycle about 28%, which makes manufacturer using new resources necessary because many companies depend on recycled products in order to produce a environmentally friendly, post consumer recycled product.

How to Design a Successful Indoor Garden

More info
Quote this message in a reply