The Green Thread.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2010, 02:07 AM
RE: The Green Thread.....
(22-11-2010 09:42 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(22-11-2010 04:20 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I think they know that once people start getting a taste for real food, they'll demand it over the crap agri-business produces.

If this is true, how do we explain McDonalds? Or should I say Scrawny Ronnies?

They add cocaine to their food.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:Maybe too many roosters in the hen house?
At least 30% of them were roosters, that might have something to do with it. Undecided
Quote:If you ever want any advice about chickens, I'd be happy to help if I can.
Not in a few years, I can't even consider getting chickens or anything before I know if I'll be wealthy enough to live in a suitable place (suitable for both, me and the chickens).

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Ressurection time!

I resisted bringing this thread back to life for a while, but I just couldn't resist anymore.

Turns out carrots make really nice houseplants! Plant them in a deep container, turn them daily, and you'll have a very nice plant. (Well, lots of plants. It looks like a fern, and you can get lots of them in there) When the carrots start getting big enough to eat, plant a new pot of them, and start pulling the ones that are ready as you need them. It's february in Canada, and I am eating a carrot I pulled from the soil five minutes ago. Awesome.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
09-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Nature doesn't give you anything, Nature just borrows you stuff, sooner or later, she'll take it back...

I'm one of those guys who tends to try and give the stuff he borrowed back in a better condition then how he received it. I think it's a form of politesse.

I'm listing here stuff I did for the environment. I hope it inspires you people to do the same. If climate change turns out to be a hoax, well, at least I had fun thinking this stuff up and realizing it. Btw... I saved some serious €€€ in the process.
  • I bought a 1932 build home. So technically, 60 to 75% of my house is already recycled Smile
  • I've changed the windows from singel to double paned gas filled super duper maximum isolated (well... that's what the vendor said) Confused I DO feel a significant change though
  • When I came here, the house was warmed with an old single pass heat-exchanger on natural gas, I've changed it to a high efficiency natural gas burner (a year later condensation-heat recuperation became available. damn... maybe in a year or ten)
  • While changing the kitchen tiles, I filled the floor with polyurethane tiles and reinforcement bars, the floor never feels cold, and I saved about 2 cubic meters on raw materials for the screed.
  • The order to isolate the roof was placed a few months ago. I had the choice over 8 or 10 cm isolation thickness. I chose 10 cm. the €300 higher price was not really a big percentage of the total anyway. Cant wait for them to start. I’ve set up an experiment on how much of the temperature will rise in wintertime.
  • When I came here, the old kitchen had one of those hand operated water pumps. Instead of cutting the pipe and suspending the operation, i installed an electric booster pump that feeds the toilet flush and the washing machine. It works great! In the 4 years the pump is installed it only failed me for a few days in sep 2009 after a dry summer. By the time I had the drinking-water tie-inn installed the water table sufficiently rose again. (It helps to live right in front of a 3 Km² large bog Smile) I'm still thinking about feeding it to the dishwasher too. At the end of the street is an abandoned paper mill with a history of cadmium pollution, they are still sanitizing the area. I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to do the dishes with ground water.
  • I've changed ALL the bulbs in the house to low power and LED. In one extreme case, Ive managed to change a 200 watt garden spotlight to a 4 (!) watt high efficiency led power-light! I absolutely frigging Heart technology! The hardest case was a 150 watt halogen table light my wife had owned for years. I had to use all my, on this site honed, debating skills to convince her to change it. The solution came in the form of a promotion in a budget shoppe. (22 watts Wink). The prettiest result came when i used 3 Warm-white led lamps in an old tiffany-style table light changing it from 90 watts to 27 watts and emitting a mystical warm glow. whoooo!
  • Woodstove! High-efficiency again. The model I own features a rotating cylinder, that, while burning, lets you choose between a glass pane to gaze at the flames, a blind iron shield to max out your heat-production or an open fireplace. It's the absolute eye catcher of my living room and the talk of every visitor. Both eviro-friendly AND bling-bling Cool
  • I's with great pride that i announce to the world that, today I signed the order for a high efficiency solar powered water heater. Nuclear energy is for pussies... REAL MEN use the biggest fusion reactor of them all!!! Big Grin
    The system works with vacuum tubes converting solar light into heat and guiding it to the tip of the tube where it gets collected into a water-alcohol mixture. This mixture heats the bottom of a 300 L water vessel. Since heat rises, the hot water can be consumed at the top of the vessel. This should enable me to provide 60% of me and my family's yearly needs for hot water for the round sum of 0 € while emitting as much as 0 g CO (I'm a bit lying here but please don't spoil my enthusiasm Sad). On days when there isn't enough sunlight, a coil of gas heated water from my central heating system heats the top 80 L of the vessel. Thus enabling me to start recuperating solar energy again the next day. The vessle is that big to make sure that, on light days heat is stored for darker days. HOooRAaay for science!

Well...
That's about it for now. I dream of a hybrid car as well but all models on the market are to small or to expensive. I guess I'm going to wait for that Prius-verso to go public in Feb 2012.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
09-02-2012, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 02:55 PM by Glaucus.)
Here's a link to a Slate blog that goes through different alternatives to determine which it the "greener" option. It was given to me by my very hippie Pollution Prevention professor, but some of them are good reads without simply being "green-washing propaganda".

The Green Lantern

Some of their topics include things like:
Which illegal drug is better for the environment?
10 Tips to reduce food waste.
World Music: CDs, Records, or MP3s?
Greening the Crimson Tide: What's the environmental impact of my period?

But the big thing that I do is unplug electronics when they're not being used. Anything plugged in (even if turned off) still draws a small amount of electricity, and it adds up pretty quickly. I've heard estimates from 5-12% of consumer electricity is "phantom loading". So it's a good idea to save yourself some cash, and be a little more eco-friendly, to unplug your electronics.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2014, 03:07 PM
(09-02-2012 02:08 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Turns out carrots make really nice houseplants! Plant them in a deep container, turn them daily, and you'll have a very nice plant. (Well, lots of plants. It looks like a fern, and you can get lots of them in there) When the carrots start getting big enough to eat, plant a new pot of them, and start pulling the ones that are ready as you need them. It's february in Canada, and I am eating a carrot I pulled from the soil five minutes ago. Awesome.

oh, that sounds cool, do you have any pictures? did you just grow one from the store? how deep of a pot and what kind of soil do they need?

http://www.indoorgardeninghelp.com
10-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Facepalm
11-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Holy shit this thread is old.

But I like it.

I don't drive and I always take reusable bags to the grocery store.

I recently read an article about things you could do to reduce your plastic use. Plastics are a huge factor in pollution.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
11-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Most people don't understand what ends up in landfills. Somewhere I read that 40% of landfill is old clothing, much of it made from polyester. Most of the manufacturing of clothing creates huge amounts of pollution and the clothing itself is a super cheap product that doesn't last but a few months. I'm talking mostly about womens clothing, by the way. Men's clothes last longer.

Anyway, I make my own clothes using as many natural fibers as I can and I wear my clothes for years. I sew professionally though so I have industrial sewing machines and such but if you have a regular sewing machine, well, you too can make your own clothes.

So that's my contribution to being green. That and recycling stuff and using my own grocery bags (home sewn) when I shop. I also bike a lot, weather permitting.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-08-2014, 10:54 AM
When I saw the title it made me think of the Green Mile Thumbsup

I love that movie

Was a little disappointed when I realized it was about environmentalism. I'm all for the environment and saving the forests and against pollution but some people take it too far.

There is nothing against using firewood or making log cabins or chopping down trees to make furniture~!