The Gun Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2012, 12:09 PM
The Gun Thread
Well it's about time I made this thread. This stuff tends to be pretty controversial on Atheist forums, since Atheists tend, by and large, to be politically left wing and left wing people tend to be strongly in favor of gun control and really don't like guns.

Well at least that's conventional wisdom. But you'd be surprised as to how many Atheists and left wing people that I know who own guns and like shooting. A lot of them have concealed weapons permits and carry as well; possible because being in the situation they are in, they, like feel like a lone sheep who's a good target for the wolves.

Now it's no secret to those who know me personally that I am a 'gun guy'. I have about 20 guns - this number was recently increased by the addition of a Glock 20SF, Glock 21SF and an S&W M&P .22 handguns to the collection. I'm also a range rat and budding competition shooter. If you like guns and have never done a competition, please do so sometime. They are a blast (pardon the pun) and will forever change the way you shoot.

Like a lot of American males, I was introduced to guns very early in life. My dad taught me how to shoot when I was five, plinking cans in the Idaho desert with a .22 levergun. I received a BB rifle when I was six as a Christmas present and some of my favorite memories from childhood involved hunting magpies with that rifle. As an adult, my favorite kinds of weapons are the 'hand cannons' i.e. .44 Mag, .500 S&W Mag., IMI Desert Eagles, etc. One of best past times in the summer is making slushies by taking out frozen jugs of Gatorade with those monsters loaded with hollow point ammunition. I also like sniper rifles - I am working on obtaining an AI L85 AWSM in .338 Lapua Magnum as we speak and a Barret M-82 .50BMG is on the Christmas wish list. I'm also fond of .22s. Plinking cans or paper targets out to 100yds is a great way to use up the few hours most people piss away in church on a lazy, sunny Sunday. If you consider yourself to be a 'gun guy', but don't own or shoot .22s, IMO you are not a 'gun guy'.

So, I thought I'd share my hobby with you all and see how many others on the TTA like guns and shooting. I'll also start a gun control thread in the Politics section so everyone can get on their soapbox and rant about it there. Here, however, I just make one request.

Alright, you thinking atheists, show us your guns!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
RE: The Gun Thread
I don't know that I consider myself a "gun guy"... but I do enjoy shooting and I grew up with guns. I don't own any at the moment, but in the future I plan to purchase a pistol of some sort for range shooting. It's just an expense at the bottom of a large heap of other expenses.

As far as gun control... I go back and forth about where I stand on that. Maybe I'll comment in your other thread, but I probably don't have anything of value to add to such a conversation.

I am a left-wing type... liberal on many issues. But I do enjoy shooting at the gun range.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
(01-06-2012 12:56 PM)kineo Wrote:  I don't know that I consider myself a "gun guy"... but I do enjoy shooting and I grew up with guns. I don't own any at the moment, but in the future I plan to purchase a pistol of some sort for range shooting. It's just an expense at the bottom of a large heap of other expenses.

As far as gun control... I go back and forth about where I stand on that. Maybe I'll comment in your other thread, but I probably don't have anything of value to add to such a conversation.

I am a left-wing type... liberal on many issues. But I do enjoy shooting at the gun range.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty left wing about a lot of things as well.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
01-06-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm a gun nut, but I'm also a Christian... so meh.

Right now, I only own a Beretta 9mm; however, my father-in-law owns a whole arsenal and my uncle is the #1 CC licenser in the state. So, yeah... I have no shortage of guns at my disposal.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
(01-06-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm a gun nut, but I'm also a Christian... so meh.

Right now, I only own a Beretta 9mm; however, my father-in-law owns a whole arsenal and my uncle is the #1 CC licenser in the state. So, yeah... I have no shortage of guns at my disposal.
Watching the animated GIF in your signature, I'm beginning to think a sports jacket may be more effective.....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
(01-06-2012 01:40 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 01:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm a gun nut, but I'm also a Christian... so meh.

Watching the animated GIF in your signature, I'm beginning to think a sports jacket may be more effective.....

Only it it's infused with the Holy Spirit.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
01-06-2012, 01:51 PM
(01-06-2012 01:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 01:40 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Watching the animated GIF in your signature, I'm beginning to think a sports jacket may be more effective.....

Only it it's infused with the Holy Spirit.

"Infuse" the pockets with some rocks and you'll get similar results.
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
(01-06-2012 01:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  "Infuse" the pockets with some rocks and you'll get similar results.
Holy jacket Mark 2, for the sinners in the audience...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
(01-06-2012 01:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 01:51 PM)kineo Wrote:  "Infuse" the pockets with some rocks and you'll get similar results.
Holy jacket Mark 2, for the sinners in the audience...
Sleek, stylish, summer weight with just a hint of Lycra.

"Whether I'm flogging my sinful congregation or spanking my meth addled male hooker, I always use my Holy Jacket, Mark 2. It's fabulous!"

-Ted Haggard

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

[+] 5 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 12:06 PM by Azaraith.)
Heh... I've still got a decent collection from a while back (haven't bought a new one in a while though). It's fairly varied, no two identical type guns other than the WWII rifles (collect for historical interest). Enjoy the collection from my gun nut days:

British Lee Enfield .303
1944 91-30 Mosin Nagant (every gun guy has one)
Bushmaster AR-15 A2 rifle, match barrel
Rossi Model 92 .44 magnum
Glenfield Model 60 .22 rifle
Remington Model 581-S .22 rifle
Rock Island M1911A1 .45acp
Taurus Model 608 (6.5" barrel)
Browning Buck Mark Camper .22 handgun
.50 cal Kentucky Long Rifle flintlock (handmade by myself w/ a gunsmith)

Collection:
[Image: 7uB8R.jpg]

Handbuilt Kentucky Long Rifle:
[Image: UqgqT.jpg]

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post