The Gun Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2013, 02:43 AM
RE: The Gun Thread
(23-08-2013 08:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(21-08-2013 12:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  20-round mags.

30 or go home. Tongue

For target shooting with the AR-15 platform, I like the old GI straight stack 20 round mags. It's a nice number and the size doesn't interfere with a sandbag rest for bench shooting.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 10:51 AM
(24-08-2013 02:43 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(23-08-2013 08:33 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  30 or go home. :P

For target shooting with the AR-15 platform, I like the old GI straight stack 20 round mags. It's a nice number and the size doesn't interfere with a sandbag rest for bench shooting.

GI 20 round mag? Never once saw this in the military. I have seen plenty of old shit making its rounds, still floating about...stuff from WWII to present (WWI if you include M2s). After a quick search I found that the 20 round mag was only used for a short time (and only on the M-16A1). It was made extremely cheaply and designed to be disposable, which caused the follower in the mag to stick and lock which caused a shit load of malfunctions. Apparently, the "old GI straight 20 round mag" is about the worst mag you could ever have the displeasure of owning.

24-08-2013, 10:54 AM
(24-08-2013 10:51 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 02:43 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  For target shooting with the AR-15 platform, I like the old GI straight stack 20 round mags. It's a nice number and the size doesn't interfere with a sandbag rest for bench shooting.

GI 20 round mag? Never once saw this in the military. I have seen plenty of old shit making its rounds, still floating about...stuff from WWII to present (WWI if you include M2s). After a quick search I found that the 20 round mag was only used for a short time (and only on the M-16A1). It was made extremely cheaply and designed to be disposable, which caused the follower in the mag to stick and lock which caused a shit load of malfunctions. Apparently, the "old GI straight 20 round mag" is about the worst mag you could ever have the displeasure of owning.

There were, and are, plenty of non-GI 20-round mags of proven reliability.

I suspect that he was referring to the general type, not specifically GI.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2013, 11:18 AM
(24-08-2013 10:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 10:51 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  GI 20 round mag? Never once saw this in the military. I have seen plenty of old shit making its rounds, still floating about...stuff from WWII to present (WWI if you include M2s). After a quick search I found that the 20 round mag was only used for a short time (and only on the M-16A1). It was made extremely cheaply and designed to be disposable, which caused the follower in the mag to stick and lock which caused a shit load of malfunctions. Apparently, the "old GI straight 20 round mag" is about the worst mag you could ever have the displeasure of owning.

There were, and are, plenty of non-GI 20-round mags of proven reliability.

I suspect that he was referring to the general type, not specifically GI.

Well, he specifically said "old GI", so....

25-08-2013, 07:07 AM
(24-08-2013 10:51 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 02:43 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  For target shooting with the AR-15 platform, I like the old GI straight stack 20 round mags. It's a nice number and the size doesn't interfere with a sandbag rest for bench shooting.

No, there's really no difference between the USGI 20 and 30 round mags, at least technology wise. And, incidentally both are disposable (mags are discarded in a war zone frequently). The mags were never the problem with the M-16 in Vietnam, the lack of a chromed chamber & bore plus telling the troops you didn't need to clean it was.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

25-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Riiiiggght. Well, we don't use 20 round mags anymore, full stop. We haven't in several decades. The ones made now are of higher quality. They might get get worn and traded in with some frequency (though not as often as you might think), but they certainly are not disposable.

25-08-2013, 09:38 PM
(25-08-2013 11:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Riiiiggght. Well, we don't use 20 round mags anymore, full stop. We haven't in several decades. The ones made now are of higher quality. They might get get worn and traded in with some frequency (though not as often as you might think), but they certainly are not disposable.

Depends on the service and the situation. The old style 20 rounders are still used with the Mk 12 Mod 0 (DMR version of the M-16). The only real reason the 30 round mags were adopted was for a greater ammunition capacity (in addition to the 3-round burst fire control for the A2s).

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

19-09-2013, 01:46 AM
(25-08-2013 11:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Riiiiggght. Well, we don't use 20 round mags anymore, full stop. We haven't in several decades. The ones made now are of higher quality. They might get get worn and traded in with some frequency (though not as often as you might think), but they certainly are not disposable.

GI mags bodies themselves havent changed any. Non tilt followers have made things better, but all in all, bad magazines and improper lubrication(IE not enough) are the main cause of most stoppages in the AR family.
19-09-2013, 01:59 AM
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/09/10/ar-1...e-pannone/
19-09-2013, 05:05 AM
(19-09-2013 01:59 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/09/10/ar-1...e-pannone/

Thanks, that was informative.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user