The Gun Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Re: RE: The Gun Thread
(17-08-2013 07:53 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 07:26 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  A little bit black-and-white thinking there... A grenade is a military weapon with only one use: blowing things up. No self defense rationale, no hunting, no target practice, just shoot it and watch the boom. Plus most would find you creepy once they found out you have them. I'm not a minimalist, but some things are just stupid to own, like. 50 cal Barretts, machine guns and grenade launchers. Flat-out creepy to own one, makes me think psychopath or just immature...

I know several people who own Class III weapons like those mentioned. I don't think they are creepy or immature. I have no idea where you would get that idea.

They're just a like any other weapons collector.

You like guns and grenade launchers. I know people that have said they wouldn't let their kids go to someone's house if they had a gun, let alone "evil assault rifles" and grenades wouldn't even cross their mind. These are normal people, in Texas not Massachusetts. What you might think of as normal isn't necessarily normal to the rest of the population.

(17-08-2013 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 07:26 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  A little bit black-and-white thinking there... A grenade is a military weapon with only one use: blowing things up. No self defense rationale, no hunting, no target practice, just shoot it and watch the boom. Plus most would find you creepy once they found out you have them. I'm not a minimalist, but some things are just stupid to own, like. 50 cal Barretts, machine guns and grenade launchers. Flat-out creepy to own one, makes me think psychopath or just immature...

They're a hoot. Blowing things up is fun.

There are a great number of collectors of military weapons. It's a hobby.

Butterfly collectors are creepy.

Not really, butterflies don't kill people. Perhaps a little girly, but not creepy.

Most people find people that collect weapons, particularly explosives, to be creepy or unnerving.

Better without God, and happier too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 08:50 PM
RE: The Gun Thread
(17-08-2013 08:40 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 07:53 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I know several people who own Class III weapons like those mentioned. I don't think they are creepy or immature. I have no idea where you would get that idea.

They're just a like any other weapons collector.

You like guns and grenade launchers. I know people that have said they wouldn't let their kids go to someone's house if they had a gun, let alone "evil assault rifles" and grenades wouldn't even cross their mind. These are normal people, in Texas not Massachusetts. What you might think of as normal isn't necessarily normal to the rest of the population.

(17-08-2013 07:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  They're a hoot. Blowing things up is fun.

There are a great number of collectors of military weapons. It's a hobby.

Butterfly collectors are creepy.

Not really, butterflies don't kill people. Perhaps a little girly, but not creepy.

Most people find people that collect weapons, particularly explosives, to be creepy or unnerving.

Quote:According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which handles that registration, there were more than 3.1 million National Firearms Act-registered weapons in the U.S. as of March 2012. That includes more than 488,000 machine guns and more than 2 million “destructive devices” such as grenades, which are also classified under the law.

I would certainly dispute 'most people' since 40 - 45% of households have guns.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 09:02 PM
40-45% are a minority for one and two, where do you get that figure? Perhaps s not most, but many and many that would be fine with guns wouldn't be with grenades so the 40% isn't a number that wouldn't be creeped out by grenades. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with letting kids hang out with people that choose to collect explosives.

17-08-2013, 09:11 PM
(17-08-2013 09:02 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  40-45% are a minority for one and two, where do you get that figure? Perhaps s not most, but many and many that would be fine with guns wouldn't be with grenades so the 40% isn't a number that wouldn't be creeped out by grenades. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with letting kids hang out with people that choose to collect explosives.

That's your choice.

I take it you do not live in the U.S.?

17-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I live in Texas. Really shit assumption that not a fan of grenades = not American. Not all of us are nutters Wink

17-08-2013, 09:21 PM
(17-08-2013 09:15 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  I live in Texas. Really shit assumption that not a fan of grenades = not American. Not all of us are nutters Wink

And you even have the space to play with them. Thumbsup

17-08-2013, 09:45 PM
If I owned land... As-is I would have to hunt for somewhere to use them and they're just not something I'm interested in. I could make something blow up without the expense and hassle of a class 3 anyway, black powder isn't tough to get (or at least it wasn't last I checked, I still have a half keg of it for my Kentucky long rifle). I keep that in a safe though and don't talk about it... NSA: I'm totally kidding, no gunpowder here *whistles*

17-08-2013, 09:51 PM
(17-08-2013 09:45 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  If I owned land... As-is I would have to hunt for somewhere to use them and they're just not something I'm interested in. I could make something blow up without the expense and hassle of a class 3 anyway, black powder isn't tough to get (or at least it wasn't last I checked, I still have a half keg of it for my Kentucky long rifle). I keep that in a safe though and don't talk about it... NSA: I'm totally kidding, no gunpowder here *whistles*

Yeah, Class III is an expensive hobby. I've never been particularly interested.

I have a black powder cap and ball pistol, so there might be some black powder around. It's readily available. Legally.

17-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Of course gunpowder is legal, how do you think us reloaders reload?

17-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Wasn't sure if they added restrictions to black powder or something, dunno. Last time I bought any was pre-9/11