The Gunpowder Plot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 08:39 PM
The Gunpowder Plot
Tonight in Newfoundland they are celebrating what we call Bonfire Night. I understand the English also celebrate it at well but I don't really know. I'm just going on what some English told me. Anyway there will be a huge bonfire in every town. It's not like it was when I was a kid though. I remember bonfires buy the dozens lined along the beaches of my home town and neighbouring towns. And man did people party! I don't remember anyone burning effigies and in fact I'm not sure if most know the significance of it all. But who cares about that. Any reason to party. I wish I was there to join in. Aw well. Maybe next year...
Is this celebrated anywhere else aside from England and Newfoundland? Perhaps Australia or some other Commonwealth country?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2014, 09:10 PM
RE: The Gunpowder Plot
Remember remember the fifth of November. It's not celebrated in America but I watch V for Vendetta every year on that date.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
05-11-2014, 09:14 PM

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 6 users Like Smercury44's post
05-11-2014, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 09:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-11-2014 09:10 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Remember remember the fifth of November.

My grampa told me and my brothers about Guy Fawkes. We made pipe bombs and blew up mailboxes in his honor. Good times!

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-11-2014, 09:28 PM
(05-11-2014 09:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Mt grampa told me and my brothers about Guy Fawkes. We made pipe bombs and blew up mailboxes in his honor. Good times!

And here I thought you were coming in to thank me for grounding the reference Tongue pipe bombs are cool too Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
05-11-2014, 09:37 PM
(05-11-2014 09:28 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 09:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mt grampa told me and my brothers about Guy Fawkes. We made pipe bombs and blew up mailboxes in his honor. Good times!

And here I thought you were coming in to thank me for grounding the reference Tongue pipe bombs are cool too Yes

Kudos. Bowing

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-11-2014, 09:46 PM
(05-11-2014 09:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

My grampa told me and my brothers about Guy Fawkes. We made pipe bombs and blew up mailboxes in his honor. Good times!

Umm.. why?
It was about a bunch of Catholics that wanted to make England Catholic again by blowing up parliament and starting a rebellion...

Fuck him, he was a cunt and it's a good thing he failed.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-11-2014, 10:15 PM
(05-11-2014 08:39 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Tonight in Newfoundland they are celebrating what we call Bonfire Night. I understand the English also celebrate it at well but I don't really know. I'm just going on what some English told me. Anyway there will be a huge bonfire in every town. It's not like it was when I was a kid though. I remember bonfires buy the dozens lined along the beaches of my home town and neighbouring towns. And man did people party! I don't remember anyone burning effigies and in fact I'm not sure if most know the significance of it all. But who cares about that. Any reason to party. I wish I was there to join in. Aw well. Maybe next year...
Is this celebrated anywhere else aside from England and Newfoundland? Perhaps Australia or some other Commonwealth country?

As far as I am aware, it's not celebrated here in Aus.

Naturally, I am fairly okay with this; the fewer British holidays round here the better. Drinking Beverage

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
05-11-2014, 10:30 PM
(05-11-2014 09:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 09:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My grampa told me and my brothers about Guy Fawkes. We made pipe bombs and blew up mailboxes in his honor. Good times!

Umm.. why?

Umm.. 'cause we liked making pipe bombs and blowing shit up maybe? And it's a useful skill for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-11-2014, 10:44 PM
(05-11-2014 10:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 09:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Umm.. why?

Umm.. 'cause we liked making pipe bombs and blowing shit up maybe? And it's a useful skill for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.

So make pipe bombs and blow shit up on other days throughout the year.
Seems stupid to do it on one particular day because you wanna celebrate some catholic activist...

[Image: oscar.png]