The Gunpowder Plot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 10:52 PM
RE: The Gunpowder Plot
(05-11-2014 08:39 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  ...
I understand the English also celebrate it at well but I don't really know.

Well, to be more precise, I'd say British rather than English but yes, it's true.

It's often called Fireworks Night as it's also traditional to have an organised fireworks display going on as people eat their over-cooked jacket potatoes will standing just far back enough from the bonfire to be shivering from the cold.

Fun for all the family.

Except the ones who end up in Accident and Emergency!

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-11-2014, 01:13 AM
(05-11-2014 10:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Umm.. 'cause we liked making pipe bombs and blowing shit up maybe? And it's a useful skill for when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.

So make pipe bombs and blow shit up on other days throughout the year.
Seems stupid to do it on one particular day because you wanna celebrate some catholic activist...

Yeah. We might've done that. For practice and whatnot. Blush

#sigh
06-11-2014, 01:40 AM
(06-11-2014 01:13 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:44 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So make pipe bombs and blow shit up on other days throughout the year.
Seems stupid to do it on one particular day because you wanna celebrate some catholic activist...

Yeah. We might've done that. For practice and whatnot. Blush

Dodgy
06-11-2014, 04:28 AM
I forgot to remember Oops

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-11-2014, 05:50 AM
Isnt it weird how the Guy Fawks mask became a symbol of civil disobediance and rebelion?

Guy Fawks was a catholic religious zealot who wanted to kill the government of a nation to impose catholic rule.

Hardly something a true modern advocate of democracy would ever want to be assosciated with.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Germans are coming's post
06-11-2014, 08:49 AM
But V for Vendetta, that guy in the Guy Fawkes mask was cool.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
06-11-2014, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 09:40 AM by Drunkin Druid.)
(05-11-2014 09:46 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 09:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My grampa told me and my brothers about Guy Fawkes. We made pipe bombs and blew up mailboxes in his honor. Good times!

Umm.. why?
It was about a bunch of Catholics that wanted to make England Catholic again by blowing up parliament and starting a rebellion...

Fuck him, he was a cunt and it's a good thing he failed.

Catholic or C of E. What difference does it make. Replace one tyranny with another. They were all cunts! Now let's have a bonfire and celebrate..
At any rate I'll point out that Nov. 5 isn't in celebration of Guy Fawkes. This would explain why people way back when would burn effigies of Fawkes. Now we just burn tires and shit!
06-11-2014, 09:09 AM
(06-11-2014 05:50 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Isnt it weird how the Guy Fawks mask became a symbol of civil disobediance and rebelion?

Guy Fawks was a catholic religious zealot who wanted to kill the government of a nation to impose catholic rule.

Hardly something a true modern advocate of democracy would ever want to be assosciated with.

I always considered it to be a rebellion against the establishment type thing.
06-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Not November, but they banned the similar cracker night when I was kid here in Australia.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-11-2014, 09:47 AM
(06-11-2014 09:10 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Not November, but they banned the similar cracker night when I was kid here in Australia.

I'm assuming people would set off fireworks on that night?
Why would they ban that?
Let me guess. Some dumbfuck kid got hurt in an idiotic way and then some bleeding heart parents flipped out and ruined the fun foe everybody else.