The HMS Endeavour found

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 06:02 PM
The HMS Endeavour found
Captain Cook’s ship may have been found off the coast of Rhode Island, USA.

“Captain Cook's famous ship has seemingly been discovered in the US 230 years since it was sold, sunk and forgotten.

The Endeavour is one of the most famous ships in naval history and was used by Captain James Cook to discover the East Coast of Australia in 1770.

The last sighting of the Endeavour was around 1778 when it is believed the ship was sold, renamed the Lord Sandwich, and then used to transport British troops during the American Revolution.

Archaeologists believe they have found the scuttled remains of the Endeavour just off the coast of Newport, Rhode Island in Narragansett Bay.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project made the discovery, saying the ship was scuttled in Newport Harbor in 1778 by British forces in the lead up to the Battle of Rhode Island.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tates.html

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Full Circle's post
02-05-2016, 07:41 PM
RE: The HMS Endeavour found
(02-05-2016 06:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Captain Cook’s ship may have been found off the coast of Rhode Island, USA.

“Captain Cook's famous ship has seemingly been discovered in the US 230 years since it was sold, sunk and forgotten.

The Endeavour is one of the most famous ships in naval history and was used by Captain James Cook to discover the East Coast of Australia in 1770.

The last sighting of the Endeavour was around 1778 when it is believed the ship was sold, renamed the Lord Sandwich, and then used to transport British troops during the American Revolution.

Archaeologists believe they have found the scuttled remains of the Endeavour just off the coast of Newport, Rhode Island in Narragansett Bay.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project made the discovery, saying the ship was scuttled in Newport Harbor in 1778 by British forces in the lead up to the Battle of Rhode Island.”

Crazy how wood decomposes so slowly underwater. Here's a ship from circa the revolution. Wild!
02-05-2016, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2016 01:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I heard about a Hobbit that would be interested in what's *behind* all this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
03-05-2016, 07:50 AM
(02-05-2016 07:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(02-05-2016 06:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Captain Cook’s ship may have been found off the coast of Rhode Island, USA.

Crazy how wood decomposes so slowly underwater. Here's a ship from circa the revolution. Wild!

Colder water, large timbers are partially responsible. Also if any of the ship settled into the silt/muck/sand it stays relatively well reserved.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-05-2016, 10:23 AM
A lack of free oxygen, both in water and in boggy environs retards decomposition.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Oh, I know about wood in water. It's how piers are made, for that reason. Also, the timber industry is picking 100+ year old logs out of rivers and selling them for big bucks. The temperature back then was much cooler, the rings are tighter. It's called "old growth" lumber and it's really expensive. Out of my budget.