The Headbangers thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: The Headbangers thread
(10-04-2015 08:56 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  As for Sepultura, it lost any momentum after Max quit in 96. I have never been much of a fan of Roots anyway, I find that album to be a bit try-hard at being edgy. And it's a part of a lot of albums that spawned the unholy child that is Nu-Metal. Urgh.
Roots is a terrific album. It's not supposed to be edgy (whatever that means).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2015, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 01:02 AM by Alex K.)
(10-04-2015 06:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 08:56 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  As for Sepultura, it lost any momentum after Max quit in 96. I have never been much of a fan of Roots anyway, I find that album to be a bit try-hard at being edgy. And it's a part of a lot of albums that spawned the unholy child that is Nu-Metal. Urgh.

Roots has a very special place in my heart because it was the first Sepultura I've heard and it had an almost magical effect on me. When I hear it now I still get that feeling from back in '96

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
11-04-2015, 01:46 AM
(11-04-2015 12:55 AM)Alex K Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 06:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Roots is a terrific album. It's not supposed to be edgy (whatever that means).

Roots has a very special place in my heart because it was the first Sepultura I've heard and it had an almost magical effect on me. When I hear it now I still get that feeling from back in '96
I was really, really into them back then, the first album of theirs I heard was Arise, which is still my fav of theirs. But Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, and Roots are all terrific. Roots was a bit different incorporating that tribal sound, a bit of Brazilian roots in there. I think it's great.
I was always rushing to the music store on the first day of release of their album. But man did I get an awful shock when I bought Against. I didn't realise how much influence Max had with regards to the creation of the songs. Without Max, Against was just a bland mess. It has no redeeming features. Very short, ill structured nothingness. I never bought a Sepultura album again after that. However, Soulfly was pretty terrific.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
11-04-2015, 03:14 AM
Ugh, yes. I really like D Green, and I've seen a couple of live shows in recent years that were great fun. But the material, I don't know... Kairos was pretty decent. But they've lost focus stylistically is how I would describe it.

Cavalera conspiracy anyone?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
11-04-2015, 05:04 AM
(10-04-2015 06:34 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

I never said it was a horrible album. But to say that they didn't try to be edgy is wrong. They spent weeks down in the jungle listening to tribal music and came back to create a groove metal album fusioned with south-American tribal music. Nobody else out there had done that, so yes, the idea was to create something edgy. Lucky for them, it sold. But I never had a soft point for the tribal part of it, and the tribal part sucks up a lot of the sound and gives less back to for example Igor, who played far more simplistic on this album that he had done before. I'd pick Chaos AD over Roots any day.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
11-04-2015, 05:09 AM
(11-04-2015 03:14 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Ugh, yes. I really like D Green, and I've seen a couple of live shows in recent years that were great fun. But the material, I don't know... Kairos was pretty decent. But they've lost focus stylistically is how I would describe it.

Cavalera conspiracy anyone?

Yes.

The new album that came out last year is the Max and Igor thrash album we've been waiting for. I don't get the production the album though; there so much... static around the music. Still, better than the sound of Judas Priest's new album; the recording quality on that album is fucking dreadful.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
11-04-2015, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2015 05:29 AM by Alex K.)
I have listened to inflicted a lot, less so the second one which didn't jump out at me quite as much as the first. I have yet to get to know the new one, I should give it a closer listen to see what you mean

11-04-2015, 08:31 AM
I think TTA will steal away Alex for good with this thread Big Grin

I was gonna raise hell if Pantera wasn't already in here. I had planned on posting Fucking Hostile in retaliation. Good to see someone beat me to it. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Exian's post
11-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Possible Wink

My first exposure to pantera was Great Southern Trendkill, which I liked a lot.

[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM

[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post