If that's what people want, I'll give you the greatest breakdown ever:

Metalcore breakdowns can eat my shit.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
11-04-2015, 02:48 PM
RE: The Headbangers thread
(11-04-2015 05:04 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  I never said it was a horrible album. But to say that they didn't try to be edgy is wrong. They spent weeks down in the jungle listening to tribal music and came back to create a groove metal album fusioned with south-American tribal music. Nobody else out there had done that, so yes, the idea was to create something edgy. Lucky for them, it sold. But I never had a soft point for the tribal part of it, and the tribal part sucks up a lot of the sound and gives less back to for example Igor, who played far more simplistic on this album that he had done before. I'd pick Chaos AD over Roots any day.
Yeah, depend on what is meant by edgy. I'd classify Reign in Blood as being edgy for its time. Because it has an "extremeness" (such short songs, singing about Satan...), but incorporating a fusion of music styles, I wouldn't really call edgy.
Helloween's Chamelion was a fusion of styles, but not edgy. Nightwish fuse opera, symphonic, metal, celtic... but isn't edgy. Perhaps a person that likes pure opera might call it edgy, but a metal fan may call it soft metal...

Anyway, "edgy" can have different meanings for different people.
I'd personally pick Roots over Chaos AD. But both are good albums. Roots has a uniqueness about it, Chaos is in someways just more of the same as the albums that came before it.

In someways I like change. I think Megadeth's, lastest few albums are all bland because it's just all got a sameness about it.
11-04-2015, 03:18 PM
(11-04-2015 02:48 PM)Stevil Wrote:  In someways I like change. I think Megadeth's, lastest few albums are all bland because it's just all got a sameness about it.

That's an idea I share too. Of all the albums Endgame was the best of them, but it still had that blandness to it. Thirteen is the album nobody remembers, feels more like an EP honestly, and Super Collider was a trainwreck with the fans. I was also never a Drover fan. Glen Drover is the worst guitarist Megadeth has ever had, and Shawn always played the old songs like he didn't give a shit, unlike how Menza, Behler, Samuelson or Degrasso played them. Broderick was the best they could have; for a while... I've seen recent gigs and Broderick was messing up Poland, Young and Friedman solos left and right. I can only hope their next and possibly last line up will be better. Dave's voice doesn't have much left.

11-04-2015, 04:34 PM
I have no clue about the details of deth band history, but I saw them live exactly three times, 1995, 2005 and 2012. In 1995 they were awesome to my young self, in 2005 I don't remember because the Gigantour acoustics sucked, and in 2012, bleagh. I don't know whether it was the quality of the playing, but they seemed so bored with themselves, no hunger left.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
11-04-2015, 04:43 PM
(11-04-2015 03:18 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Broderick was the best they could have; for a while... I've seen recent gigs and Broderick was messing up Poland, Young and Friedman solos left and right. I can only hope their next and possibly last line up will be better. Dave's voice doesn't have much left.
I'm a fan of Friedman, from Rust through to Risk, they were all great albums. Rust and Countdown being my favs and Cryptic Writings being something very special and different too. All these albums are easily distinguished from each other. I know many fans don't like Risk and it does seem to be an attempt on the Metallica mainstream direction but it is interesting. But regarding playing Friedman solos, they are interesting and fun to play.

In a way it was good to see Megadeth attempting to go back to their thrash roots with the latest albums but I think they have been trying too hard and have ended up with bland.
I also think Metallica's attempt of revisiting their thrash roots with Deaf Magnetic ended up in a bland album.

Of the thrash bands I think Annihilator have been doing a consistent effort, Their latest album, although poorly advertised, and of poor sales, is a very good album.
Anthrax's last album was terrific, one of their best.

I can't really speak for Slayer 'cause I've never really liked them enough to give them much attention.
11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
(11-04-2015 04:34 PM)Alex K Wrote:  I have no clue about the details of deth band history, but I saw them live exactly three times, 1995, 2005 and 2012. In 1995 they were awesome to my young self, in 2005 I don't remember because the Gigantour acoustics sucked, and in 2012, bleagh. I don't know whether it was the quality of the playing, but they seemed so bored with themselves, no hunger left.
I thought Megadeth's Rude Awakening album was poor.
I've not been to any of their concerts, don't think they have been to NZ. But I don't have the impression that they are very good live.
Although, I thought they were OK in the Big four concert video. Probably the best of the four bands on the night.
11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
(11-04-2015 04:34 PM)Alex K Wrote:  I have no clue about the details of deth band history, but I saw them live exactly three times, 1995, 2005 and 2012. In 1995 they were awesome to my young self, in 2005 I don't remember because the Gigantour acoustics sucked, and in 2012, bleagh. I don't know whether it was the quality of the playing, but they seemed so bored with themselves, no hunger left.

I would have killed to see them in '95. Too bad I was just born that year. The band was on fire, especially Nick. Listen to 31:54, that's why he's my hero:

But yeah, Shawn Drover always played very lazy, not putting any innovation into the songs. I've already told you his brother Glen didn't fit for the band; never seen anyone butcher the Tornado of Souls solo like that. As for Broderick, he was good with a prog background and all. But then, well, just listen to 4:39

Both Jeff Young and Marty Friedman could nail that solo flawlessly while still drunk and high on heroin.

11-04-2015, 05:57 PM
(11-04-2015 10:39 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  If that's what people want, I'll give you the greatest breakdown ever:

Metalcore breakdowns can eat my shit.

That may very well be the first breakdown ever in metal. I'm sure there are earlier examples, but hell if I can think of it.

Yeah, Alex, Trendkill is a fucking excellent album. The title track and 13 Steps were amongg my favorites to cover...also Drag The Waters; the solo in that is fun as hell to play. I remember one time at a strip club with my buddies, I was getting a lap dance when Drag the Waters came on, and I about bucked the lady off. Big Grin Good times.
[+] 1 user Likes Exian's post
12-04-2015, 06:52 PM
One of the few times Slayer has dabbled in odd time signatures.

22-04-2015, 07:02 PM
What?

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post