The Hetero-Nomative Box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 10:48 PM
The Hetero-Nomative Box
Some atheist are still thinking within a hetero-normative box and not thinking outside of the straight white male landscape when it comes to the standard of beauty, sex, sexuality, and sexual expression.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2013, 11:22 PM
RE: The Hetero-Nomative Box
(18-07-2013 10:48 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Some atheist are still thinking within a hetero-normative box and not thinking outside of the straight white male landscape when it comes to the standard of beauty, sex, sexuality, and sexual expression.

Can you give an example?
18-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Most still stick to meet a nice girl get married and try to have 2.5 kids routine that is not working for American society any more, they like the rest of America have been suckered into the "Dream"
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
18-07-2013, 11:53 PM
well, the hetero box, while related to religion, is a problem rooted far beyond religion. Thinking sexuality, gender and sex in a binary way seems ingrained in society in so many aspects that even it even sounds absurd to have any other possibility, so "reason" indicates that it is better to think within that box.

But it will brake with time, luckily evidence trumps preconceived categories Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
19-07-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't believe that being an atheist/freethinker/skeptic means that I have to be open to every form of sexual expression. If someone's into exploring all that stuff with other consenting adults, then more power to them.

But as for me...I could watch atheist YouTube videos until my eyes bleed, but ain't no way I'm taking a steel rod in my urethra while being porked in the hiney by a dildo-sporting Roseanne Barr.
[+] 4 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
19-07-2013, 12:12 AM
That's not it all I'm just saying lots of atheist let themselves fall into societal gender roles, gay-straight binary, and the straight white male is default, without thinking
19-07-2013, 12:13 AM
And none of them question it
19-07-2013, 12:16 AM
And do they not question it because they don't notice and are comfortable, or is there something else going on?
19-07-2013, 12:25 AM
(19-07-2013 12:06 AM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  I don't believe that being an atheist/freethinker/skeptic means that I have to be open to every form of sexual expression. If someone's into exploring all that stuff with other consenting adults, then more power to them.

But as for me...I could watch atheist YouTube videos until my eyes bleed, but ain't no way I'm taking a steel rod in my urethra while being porked in the hiney by a dildo-sporting Roseanne Barr.

Nobody said you should though, but it is better to know about the existence of other ranges of possibilities, to know oneself and to know other better.
And to have a more accurate understanding of people in general.

(19-07-2013 12:16 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  And do they not question it because they don't notice and are comfortable, or is there something else going on?

I think that mostly is that they don't notice. And when they do, as most of us, they tend to criticize and categorize it as abnormal or something like that. Usually they stamp a generic tolerance label on it and get away with it, but most people don't understand the actual incomprehensibility of sex/gender/sexuality matrices.

btw, you can edit your posts so you can add things you missed without multi-posting Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
19-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Well, I imagine many of them don't question it because they actually are straight and cisgender.

I was recently on a transgender forum where a lot of people weren't even open to non-gender-binary ideas, for that matter...

As for abnormal, the problem is that people equate "abnormal" with "sick," "bad", or "wrong."

As for standards of beauty, as I see it, the problem is that people confuse their own aesthetic preferences for the only way a person can be attractive. Just like the people who imagine two men having sex, and think that's gross because they wouldn't do it, and ask "how can two men find each other attractive?" Because those men are attracted to men, dumbass... People tend to project their own feelings onto anything sexual, and then think deviations from their own orientation and tastes are automatically wrong. Same with gender, a lot of cisgender people think they could never be trans, therefore they think transpeople shouldn't/can't really be trans.