The Historical Blood Feud

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 11:03 AM
The Historical Blood Feud
I remember when I was a kid I was fascinated reading about the Romans, Greeks, and medieval history. Didn't really care that much about the gunpowder and cannon age which to me exists as around 1500-1913 WWI and WWII are notable interests in history but after WWII I kind of meh.

But anyways I was absolutely thrilled with antiquity, being shown pictures of armor and weapons, a very very light over view of their society. Never was taught about Middle Eastern history, I guess cultures can really hold grudges. THAT LAST FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS! And it ALL started with the Athenians supporting a bunch of rebels in the asian minor, Lydia if I remember the region correctly then the Persians strike back, and then the Greeks conquer the Persians, and then the Romans come along and don't really help at all. The Romans do a ongoing war with the Persians and then the Arabs come in after the two sides have exhausted themselves fighting each other. And the Arabs are all like LOL faggots! Then what's left of the Roman Empire quarrels with them for the next thousand years until they finally conquer Byzantium and then nearly conquer all of Europe until the Holy League was formed and they were stopped at Vienna. And TODAY? Oh don't even get me started on the modern quarrels between the east and the west! It's like a blood feud that's lasted for thousands of years.

Of course if I were the Easterners I would have been embarrassed by the battle of Gaugamela, and the battle of Thermopylae, and the battle of Salamis, and the battle of Plataea.

Of course if I were the Westerner I'd feel pretty embarrassed about the battle of Manzikert and the Fall of Byzantium. I'd also feel right down embarrassed that tribal people conquered the western half of their empire. Sure sure sure... they came by the hundreds of thousands... but that never stopped the Romans before from conquering their sorry asses. Need I say Queen Boudicca, Vercingetorix, Attila the Hun, or the ones that Marius fought who didn't have a notable leader to speak of. I suppose one could argue that Attila the Hun did deplete their armies a great deal, but the Western half of the empire was doomed regardless if he had shown up or not. No what caused the Western half to fall to tribes was it's own bureaucracy, something that would later take it's toll on the Byzantines.

Anyways so I got the two books I ordered from Ebay today about the persians. I'd say about 200 pages worth of 'good' info. Which is more than I can say for the last one I bought about the Persians or rather, just Darius and Cyrus. Archeology is my friend, Archeology doesn't discriminate, unlike ancient historians.

I bet even you people hold a grudge against the Arabs or 'Muslims', all because they're different, they have a different culture, and you're so smug about your own culture. Being more 'advanced' than they are.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 12:57 PM
RE: The Historical Blood Feud
(23-01-2013 11:03 AM)Nappa Wrote:  I bet even you people hold a grudge against the Arabs or 'Muslims', all because they're different, they have a different culture, and you're so smug about your own culture. Being more 'advanced' than they are.

Wow, interesting post. Which surprised me since it came from you.

And then I got to the last line and, yep, it's from you. Why can't you just drop the attitude and contribute to the forums like everyone else? This post almost made it, but then you had to be a jerk at the end. Is it that you just can't help yourself?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-01-2013, 01:50 PM
So.. How about them Saracens, huh?

Pretty awesome shit they pulled off.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget the Byzantine flame-throwers.

Those were neat too.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
23-01-2013, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2013 06:59 PM by Nappa.)
(23-01-2013 12:57 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Wow, interesting post. Which surprised me since it came from you.

And then I got to the last line and, yep, it's from you. Why can't you just drop the attitude and contribute to the forums like everyone else? This post almost made it, but then you had to be a jerk at the end. Is it that you just can't help yourself?
Stop dodging the question bro! Why you so dodgy bro? I bet you do hold a grudge against them! Don't say I didn't tell you it was so!

Quote:So.. How about them Saracens, huh?

Pretty awesome shit they pulled off.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget the Byzantine flame-throwers.

Those were neat too.
I'm actually far more interested in their culture, society, and political evolution than say an ancient flamethrower. Which I'd actually rather prefer to support their architectural and artistic achievements. And I don't know exactly what you mean by the Saracens, the Saracens had many great battles to boast about, but again, I would rather boast about how they unified the lands they conquered with one language (Arabic) and put together one of the greatest libraries since the Library of Alexandria. They also took it upon themselves and made a huge endeavor to translate all the books they got. Which was no small feat before block printing. Speaking of Arabic it's quite an eloquent language if I had to say so myself, but I still prefer English.

[Image: apse-mosaic-sant-apollinare-i7.jpg?bb7ee4]

[Image: Hagia-Sophia-Mosque-In-Istanbul.jpg]
23-01-2013, 06:26 PM
No one is born to hate. It is either taught to you by your peers/society or you go from negative personal experiences.

You speak like you yourself are exempt Nappa?
Who do you hate?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
23-01-2013, 06:28 PM
(23-01-2013 11:03 AM)Nappa Wrote:  I bet even you people hold a grudge against the Arabs or 'Muslims', all because they're different, they have a different culture, and you're so smug about your own culture. Being more 'advanced' than they are.

I've never had a problem with Arab people as a whole. That says a lot considering I was in the military when the 9-11 attacks happened. I know how they have contributed to science and mathematics. I don't let the actions of a few fundamentalist fucktards reflect on the many.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
23-01-2013, 06:46 PM
(23-01-2013 06:28 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've never had a problem with Arab people as a whole. That says a lot considering I was in the military when the 9-11 attacks happened. I know how they have contributed to science and mathematics. I don't let the actions of a few fundamentalist fucktards reflect on the many.
Many a woe to the 9-11 date,
Were it so easy to hijack planes?
Were it so easy to bring down buildings?
Many a foe unknown led to this fate.

He who casts judgment so quickly may often be he who is to blame for what he accuses.

Quote:No one is born to hate. It is either taught to you by your peers/society or you go from negative personal experiences.

You speak like you yourself are exempt Nappa?
Who do you hate?

I do not allow myself to feel the strong emotion of hate, it is corrupting, I do allow myself to feel the emotion of dislike. In which case, I dislike everyone, and I like everyone.
23-01-2013, 07:24 PM
(23-01-2013 06:46 PM)Nappa Wrote:  He who casts judgment so quickly may often be he who is to blame for what he accuses.
Practice what you preach, my friend.

That last line was one sweeping generalization that you hadn't a shred of evidence to support other than your own preconceived notions of how we feel about other groups.

Nice post besides that though.

[Image: giphy.gif]
23-01-2013, 07:38 PM
(23-01-2013 07:24 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Practice what you preach, my friend.

That last line was one sweeping generalization that you hadn't a shred of evidence to support other than your own preconceived notions of how we feel about other groups.

Nice post besides that though.
I didn't think I needed to shed evidence since there's currently a war going on, and well the current situation in Israel should have been evidence enough. Not to mention the fact that the Persians aka: Iranians still hold a rather big grudge against the west for installing a repressive shaw.
23-01-2013, 07:48 PM
This is what I was referring too. Your response does not support your notion of how you came to this conclusion about what the attitudes of the members of THIS forum our towards Muslims or Arabs or their culture. You were making no argumentative claims until this point and it was completely uncalled for. What made you so sure that we, as in the members of this forum, hold a grudge against Muslims, are smug about our own cultures, and look down on other cultures as inferior?

[Image: giphy.gif]