The Histories of the Church, Church Doctrine, and stuff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: The Histories of the Church, Church Doctrine, and stuff
Quote:Things evolve all the time, and continue to. There are some pretty
shocking documents from Vatican II about womens's equality, (which would
NEVER be passed today with Pope Ratty in charge).

Doubtless, and since Liberation Theology did come from Catholicism it isn't too far from my mind that Catholicism would address women's equality and support it. ..Of course there's a big difference between the average every-day goer of Catholicism, and then the Church and it's nice little King.

Quote:I'm not sure I agree with the premise that the councils actually did the
formulation of Christianity. They dealt with the heresies, but they did
not initiate the heresies.

Well formulation of what we call "Christianity" today, I'd like to say. The heresies that came about what was whatever on the losing side, be it actually progressive or not. Be it even logical within the context of the Bible or not.

The only thing that might be an exception could be Iconoclastism..but that's another discussion entirely due to it being before the actual Split between East and West, and the oddity that came out of that one.

Quote:...and they didn't really introduce new ideas, generally.

Not new as in completely original. But 'new' in consideration of what Christianity first was, a simple extension of Judaism with a martyr. (And since the whole betrayal of the Pharisees concerning Judea..I don't doubt that they were technically heretics concerning the other Jewish peoples who benefited from the occupation) But yes, you're right.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
RE: The Histories of the Church, Church Doctrine, and stuff
(05-01-2013 05:06 AM)Egor Wrote:  This was so interesting, I actually read up to the second sentence. Shocking

Thanks for the massive cut and paste.
Interesting. Drinking Beverage

Egor Wrote:Too basal to even read the post. That's what atheism gives you, doesn't it: justification of utter human laziness?

What is a human if he is not striving to be greater than himself?
(From here).

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply