The History Channel...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2013, 09:57 AM
RE: The History Channel...
I'm sick of the Hitler channel being gone joke... They have the Hitler channel, it's called the Military History Channel

Yeah, History Channel is garbage these days, I'm still made they dropped History International for H2 which is more nonstop modern marvels(not a bad show though) or conspiracy shows. They used to have the actual good older programing on that, occasionally I will see it pop up again if I'm lucky, or see the good old shows on myths.

I felt an all time shame last weekend, my sister talking about watching a program on it and she said, "I love the history channel." Weeping

And the witches of salem are real, they broke my camera! Or it was that damn wax museum...

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't have TV but see it when I'm at my Mom's or in a hotel room. I haven't had it for about 20 years now and do not miss it at all.

I used to love the Hitler channel... but I see it's devolved into crap. I noticed a while back the History 2 channel... that seemed pretty good... but I guess even it's turned into crap - too bad. The Discovery channel is all aliens now... I don't have much patience with aliens anymore... I mean, they're ok... I like the classics -Star Trek or something .. otherwise, it's even a waste of my entertainment time. A friend of mine has the Science channel... first time I saw it - wow! I loved it... the last time I saw it, they featured a shop in NYC that deals in Odities. Whoopee.

National Geographic channel is pretty good... but they don't seem to know what they're doing.

I can't stand all this suppoosedly "real life" drama shit.
By the way.... what is this fascination with hillbillies? Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Ya know what I watch?

You. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2013, 08:14 PM
(02-03-2013 08:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ya know what I watch?

You. Evil_monster

Because I'm a hillibilly? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-03-2013, 08:36 PM
(02-03-2013 08:14 PM)kim Wrote:  
(02-03-2013 08:11 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ya know what I watch?

You. Evil_monster

Because I'm a hillibilly? Dodgy
Because you're... meow. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
02-03-2013, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 11:30 PM by fstratzero.)
[Image: K8Zm1dC.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-03-2013, 11:35 PM
In general, the number of viewers within the 18–49 age range is more important than the total number of viewers. According to Advertising Age, during the 2007–08 season, Grey's Anatomy was able to charge $419,000 per commercial, compared to only $248,000 for a commercial during CSI, despite CSI having almost five million more viewers on average. Due to its strength in young demos, Friends was able to charge almost three times as much for a commercial as Murder, She Wrote, even though the two series had similar total viewer numbers during the seasons they were on the air together. Glee and The Office drew fewer total viewers than NCIS during the 2009–10 season, but earned an average of $272,694 and $213,617 respectively, compared to $150,708 for NCIS.

Basically all shows are elaborate ways to sell advertisements.

In the end the History Channel as a company doesn't care about education, it cares about money. The more people watch, the more they can charge for their advertisement time slots.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
03-03-2013, 02:25 PM
(01-03-2013 09:47 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I was gonna post this! You beat me to it. Tongue

I'm curious to see whether they present it as an in-depth account of the mythology (they've done similar things with Norse mythology), or if they're going to present it as actual history. If it's the latter; I've lost all hope. (What little I had left after Ancient Aliens, anyway)
I don't see a problem with a series about the bible on the History Channel. The bible is part of history, and it does contain some Jewish history... just because it isn't 100% factual doesn't mean that it must be 0% factual. Nova has done plenty of episodes on biblical history (including my favorite, The Bible's Buried Secrets) and so I don't see why the History Channel couldn't do this, also.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
03-03-2013, 06:21 PM
[Image: Brief-History-of-the-History-Channel.jpeg]

I've got 2 tulpas, Taunav and Eris. If you don't know what a tulpa is, read this.
http://community.tulpa.info/thread-kiahd...-to-tulpas
If Taunav has anything to say, he'll be speaking in []
If Eris has anything to say, she'll be speaking in {}
If you think I'm insane, I don't care
[+] 3 users Like My proboscis sucks's post
03-03-2013, 11:37 PM
It's not just the History Channel.

Here's the current lineup for The Learning Channel:

Gypsy Sisters
Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
Hoarding: Buried Alive
Say Yes to the Dress
What Not to Wear
Cheer Perfection
Cake Boss
Extreme Couponing
DC Cupcakes
Toddlers & Tiaras
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Did you see anything in the current lineup promoting learning? If anything, they appear to be trying to make morons out of us.

Here's the lineup on Animal Planet:

Gator Boys
Mermaids: the Body Found (literally and seriously discussing the evolution of mermaids)
Finding Bigfoot
Hillbilly Handfishin'
Whale Wars
River Monsters
I Shouldn't Be Alive
My Cat From Hell

So even when it does involve animals, it's in a reality TV, staged drama for ratings type of way.

MTV no longer plays music videos. History Channel doesn't teach history. And every show on the Food Network is a spinoff or variation of Chopped (cooks compete to make something, one of them gets voted off, someone wins small amount of cash). We're entering into a strange age of television where every show is the same and the channel name is simply the theme of the show. There are 63 shows about pawning crap, 182 shows about swamp people on boats, and 3 million shows that just follow some random family around showing their mundane activities.

Sign of the apocalypse, my friends.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post