The History/National Geographic Channel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2010, 12:25 PM

The History/National Geographic Channel
Is anyone else sick and tired of these two channels (especially the History Channel) constantly showing programs that make it seem like conspiracies such as 9/11, UFOs, the da Vinci code masons etc... are legitimate areas of research?

Especially the History Channel. It has almost no redeeming programs on it anymore. As someone with a strong interest in science and knowledge, the documentary channels constitute a good portion of my TV watching. I am disgusted by the nonstop conspiracy pandering these channels have.

I guess it just boils down to getting more viewers. It seems like it is coming from a reputable source (the history channel) so this conspiracy shit must be true!
Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2010, 01:13 PM
RE: The History/National Geographic Channel
I do'nt have american channels, but one popular finnish channel constantly shows these american pseudo-scientific UFO, conspiracy, paranormal ''investigation'' and the end of the world 'documentaries'. The worst part is that people like my father watch them without the baloney detection kit.
I would'nt be surpriced if the channel, JIM, gets the ''woo woo'' award from the finnish Skepsis Ry (given once a year).

But what's with National Geographic? All I've seen from National Geographic has been nature documents, so I've always thought it to be a good thing or something.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Yeah, that's why I said History Channel is worse. National Geographic still has its redeeming properties.
30-09-2010, 01:31 PM

There are still shows on the History Channel that I like, but there are a lot of shows that I avoid. I can't stand the "quest" shows (Monster, and whatever other ones there are) since they don't seem like they really want to solve the mystery as they claim. A lot of the shows that they do on the "history" of religion might have a disclaimer in the beginning, but that is all. It does annoy me how a lot of those shows are done in the a way that makes it seem like they are stating facts, instead of the assumptions on what jesus was doing.

Unfortunately, The people who want to see those shows are bitching the loudest, so they get their shows.
I'll keep History Channel for Top Shot, though. That show is awesome.
30-09-2010, 11:02 PM
The History Channel still has some good stuff, such as 'Greatest Dogfights,' 'Greatest Tank Battles,' 'Battlefield Detective' and military history shows, but that is about all. There is definietly a lot more crap than there used to be. The stuff you mentioned is the worst crap. I watch that channel a lot less than I used too.
01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Actually I noticed that most things on the History channel these days are trying to make out like Bible stories were true.

One I saw the other day on Military History was a documentary series about famous generals, had Hannibal and Alexander on other episodes. The episode on the other day was Moses, with the info box saying "How did this great general outsmart the Egyptian army and get his people across a narrow channel in the red sea? Science investigates"
It was such a ludicrous info box that I didn't even watch the program unfortunately.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
03-10-2010, 02:43 PM

It's all in what sells advertising. If you are putting out docus that only 130 dyed-in-the-wool phylogentic experts can understand and appreciate, then there are not many advertisers who will be willing to underwrite your media company. That is why youtube and its ilk are so valuable; while the noise factor is so extremely high, you can still get on and listen to AronRa talk about phylogenies, or see Thnderf00t make cross-country videos. Unfortunately, Google, who used to be fairly liberally oriented, has become rather commercial, and therefore they are side-lining their most creative part in order to pander to ads.
04-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Well as much as these type of Docus depress me, I am a realist so I GET why they are on. The funny thing is if you watch them, and I do, they generally prove nothing what so ever. Weird how a flawed premise leads to indetermite results isn't it. Anyway the two reasons I watch these are, first to talk to my TV like a crazy person telling the people in the box that their premise is flawed, and secondly (and most importantly) premise aside if the bullshit meter is running there is a lot on nice actual historic facts to be learned. I also enjoyed the tons of DaVinci Code shows that flooded the airwaves after that sensation. I watched those for similar reasons, but would yell at the people in the box that the book was FICTION! Kinda like their bible ;-)
13-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi, yeah I know what you mean, its like "Hey! there are chunks of faith in my science soup" Big Grin, another example is when they show programs that try to give some evidence about the events in the bible, Nostradamus prophecies, 2012, the Mayan prophecies, etc. It's is annoying how the believers are now yelling "hey! told you, the science is now prooving that the bible was right..." for me is the kind of flawed logic behind the "if you see it ono the internet then it must be true" argument. I dont know why History Channel, NatGeo, even Discovery Channel are broadcasting this kind of shows, Any ideas? Peace.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2010, 02:54 PM

The majority of people do not want to watch informative documentaries. They want entertainment. The only way a non-fiction channel like the History Channel can provide that entertainment for our Jersey Shore worshiping population is with scandal and radical claims. They don't care about the theory of relativity, but if you can get them to shit their pants about 2012 then your advertising revenues go up.