The History/National Geographic Channel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2010, 03:06 PM
RE: The History/National Geographic Channel
(13-10-2010 02:54 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  The majority of people do not want to watch informative documentaries. They want entertainment. The only way a non-fiction channel like the History Channel can provide that entertainment for our Jersey Shore worshiping population is with scandal and radical claims. They don't care about the theory of relativity, but if you can get them to shit their pants about 2012 then your advertising revenues go up.

Sadly, you are so right. Education is seen as boring for so much of todays viewers.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2010, 08:29 PM

(13-10-2010 03:06 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(13-10-2010 02:54 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  The majority of people do not want to watch informative documentaries. They want entertainment. The only way a non-fiction channel like the History Channel can provide that entertainment for our Jersey Shore worshiping population is with scandal and radical claims. They don't care about the theory of relativity, but if you can get them to shit their pants about 2012 then your advertising revenues go up.

Sadly, you are so right. Education is seen as boring for so much of todays viewers.

I'm one of those weird ones.. I don't like watching (or reading) anything, unless it makes me think. I don't like being entertained. I love being challenged.
Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2010, 08:37 PM

NGC is included in a higher tier cable package than I have currently. However, I do get History Channel. I note also they have an awful lot of coverage on gangs as well. Biker gangs, hood gangs, etc.. So when I started to notice that, along with the UFO and monster legends type programming, I figured it has to be in keeping with the theme of the historic attention such topics are afforded.
The history of UFO's beginning with exuberance right after Roswell, during the cold war. The history of biker gangs starting with Hell's Angels, born from WW 2 veterans from the 303rd Bomber Group, etc...

In any event, I prefer educational programing over the brainless pap that seems to predominate most channels now. And yet, when History channel has something I don't like, I'm free to turn the channel. I figure, it's got more redeeming qualities in other shows, than it does in those I don't have to watch.
Maybe if people stop watching what's on, when they don't like the subject matter, and the viewer numbers drop due to that, both History and NGC will get the hint and change their schedules.
14-10-2010, 12:35 AM
(13-10-2010 08:37 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Maybe if people stop watching what's on, when they don't like the subject matter, and the viewer numbers drop due to that, both History and NGC will get the hint and change their schedules.

That is true, but are there enough thinking people in the audience for intelligence to prevail?
Find all posts by this user
14-10-2010, 06:46 AM

I will say that while not in any way immune to the type of stuff we're talking about here, Discovery definitly has less of it than the others. If you have the whole family of Discovery channels (which I don't) it's even better.
14-10-2010, 09:48 AM

(14-10-2010 12:35 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(13-10-2010 08:37 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Maybe if people stop watching what's on, when they don't like the subject matter, and the viewer numbers drop due to that, both History and NGC will get the hint and change their schedules.

That is true, but are there enough thinking people in the audience for intelligence to prevail?
Given the number of long term prime time shows, like 21/2 men, etc... running still all signs point to, not likely.
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM

I've given up on the Hitler Cha..... I mean, History Channel. Sorry, every show seems to tie into the Third Reich somehow. National Geographic is pretty bad about all that stuff, but they're nowhere near as bad. They have a lot of great anthropological shows (Taboo, Explorer, etc...)
The History Channel is just absolutely unwatchable as you get closer to Christmas.
25-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Its not their fault anyways people see what they want to see.. Its not like every channel air whats really happening or the truth... Read books they express ideas better than anything...
29-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I do admit to do watch some the alien stuff on History Channel. That is because I am an sci-fi fan. I don't believe all their stuff, but it's fun to watch in how they believe all those ideas.

The only decent channel left for actual education is the Science Channel.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM

NatGeo, History, Animal Planet--all just embarassing these days. It's pissed me off for a while so I finally had to bitch about it (Top 5 Worst History Channel Shows). Anyway, just up late scrolling through channels and wishing that I could watch something remotely resembling a historical documentary...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Has there ever been any trace of Aliens in Ancient Earth history? Korin 45 2,799 18-06-2013 10:17 AM
Last Post: Korin
  Written History. Nappa 25 1,031 09-02-2013 10:03 PM
Last Post: PurpleChimp
  The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of The World by Niall Ferguson Grassy Knoll 16 1,047 29-09-2012 06:16 AM
Last Post: Humakt
  A Haunting on Discovery Channel omega21 3 1,135 03-04-2010 09:40 PM
Last Post: Unbeliever