The Holy Trinity Explained

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 06:00 PM
RE: The Holy Trinity Explained
(15-04-2015 05:51 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 05:26 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  True, we do not know for sure if God is existent, but if he is, then that would be correct.

Prove it.
Laughat

Well, if God is real, then the Bible would be too, since after all God wrote it. So since all of the verses I mentioned would be true if God was real, then that would be all of the evidence you'd need.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2015, 06:08 PM
(15-04-2015 06:00 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 05:51 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Prove it.
Laughat

Well, if God is real, then the Bible would be too, since after all God wrote it. So since all of the verses I mentioned would be true if God was real, then that would be all of the evidence you'd need.

God wrote the Bible? Really?

It was the King James Version, wasn't it.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
15-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Laughat

Circular bullshit reasoning.
15-04-2015, 06:15 PM
(15-04-2015 06:08 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:00 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  Well, if God is real, then the Bible would be too, since after all God wrote it. So since all of the verses I mentioned would be true if God was real, then that would be all of the evidence you'd need.

God wrote the Bible? Really?

It was the King James Version, wasn't it.

God used different people to write different parts of the Bible for him.
15-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Laughat

As we like to say around here, the Bible is the claim and NOT the proof.

And that is one ginormous if

A quick question, what do you know regarding how the bible came to be?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Laughat

Your reasoning is circular. "I have a book that says xyz is true. I can't prove it's true, but if it were, xyz would be the only plausible case."

- Define "god".
- Define why you think that only your god is the only plausible god if one did exist.

By that logic, if we have marvel comics that talk about spiderman, but to this day we've never known of a true spiderman to exist.... if we actually found a real spiderman, would that then mean that everything in the spiderman comics happened and was true?

If we have zero evidence for mythical creatures existing such as leprechauns or unicorns, but have fairy tales and stories from cultures that describe them and tell stories of them.... if we found one to exist, would it then prove that all stories about unicorns and leprechauns were true? which one? from which culture? would it be an evil leprechaun from cultures that thought them to be evil? would it mean that the pot of gold stories were true because they said so?

I mean let's look at your logic here:

- You tell us you can't prove a god exists.
- You tell us that if one did exist that it would prove your god to be true.
- You tell us that your reasoning for this is because of a book saying it to be true, claiming to be written by a god you can't prove exists.

We say, "Ok prove it." and it keeps going back to, "because a book says so."

Do you see the issue here?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
15-04-2015, 06:24 PM
(15-04-2015 06:15 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  God used different people to write different parts of the Bible for him.

He could create an entire universe in 6 days but needed ghostwriters to publish a book?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
15-04-2015, 06:26 PM
(15-04-2015 06:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:00 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  Well, if God is real, then the Bible would be too, since after all God wrote it. So since all of the verses I mentioned would be true if God was real, then that would be all of the evidence you'd need.

As we like to say around here, the Bible is the claim and NOT the proof.

And that is one ginormous if

A quick question, what do you know regarding how the bible came to be?

You are completely right on that statement sir, the Bible is the claim, not the proof. In order to believe anything I said in this forum, you need to believe that that Bible is true, and that God is real. And that is where the if comes to play. We do not actually know for sure whether or not God is real. There are many points to go for his existence and against it.
15-04-2015, 06:28 PM
(15-04-2015 06:24 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:15 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  God used different people to write different parts of the Bible for him.

He could create an entire universe in 6 days but needed ghostwriters to publish a book?

In one specific language that had to be translated into other languages, into hundreds of different versions, which ended up becoming THOUSANDS of different denominations because no one can fucking agree on what it all means. Sounds like a terrible author to me. Perhaps having holes in stories, leaving out clarity, and excluding formats that weren't open to interpretation were part of a "divine plan" - but shit, could you imagine what kind of car that god would make if it were an engineer? It'd be like a first generation hyundai accent with a ford pinto fuel tank, 10" wheels made out of led and a 2 speed manual transmission.

It'd break down, blow up, fall apart, go slow, and do nothing useful. But you know people would buy it and try to improve on it for some stupid reason. There would be 500 versions of this car, each with slightly different modifications, like led door handles that give people hand cancer or some shit. But it's all part of "the improvements" or something.

Anyway... terrible engineer, source of light that gives us cancer and all that. That god definitely would have no business working for GE.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
15-04-2015, 06:31 PM
(15-04-2015 06:26 PM)nicknave21 Wrote:  In order to believe anything I said in this forum, you need to believe that that Bible is true, and that God is real.

For that we'd need evidence supporting the claim. To date the evidence that has been presented is better explained by believing that it is all just made up.

Quote:We do not actually know for sure whether or not God is real.

OK, which is why it makes no sense to believe that he is until there is sufficient evidence to support the claim.

Quote:There are many points to go for his existence and against it.

What do you think is the strongest point in favor of a god existing?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post