The Homeschooling Tragedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2010, 06:54 PM

The Homeschooling Tragedy
Homeschooling has been on my mind lately. I'm all for personal freedom, but where do we draw the line with fundamentalist families who choose to teach flat-out lies to their kids?

Is it okay to teach your kids that the earth is 6,000 years old, that dinosaurs co-existed with humans, and that Noah's flood is responsible for making the earth appear old?

Should some of this stuff be regulated? It's wrong, wrong, wrong.
Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2010, 08:28 PM
RE: The Homeschooling Tragedy
....and not exclusive to home schooling.

Agreed. Wrong.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2010, 12:58 AM
It is a double edged sword. Home schooling can be used to insulate a child from learning science in schools or it can be used for insulating a child from the lies of a creationist school.
(Texas, Alabama, Mississippi school boards, for example)
17-09-2010, 02:01 AM

Home schooling, per se, is not the problem. It's when home schooling deprives children of the education they'll need to be successful in the real world that it becomes a problem. Not all home schooling involves religious indoctrination, after all. No J. has it right.
17-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Home schooling does, however, deprive children of a normal social education. That's learning how to interact not only with the choice group of kids that your parents chose as your homeschool social group, but also interacting with everyone else. Kids need to learn to cope in the real world, where friends, bullies, and everyone in between live. Home schooling has been around for long enough that we can look at the results of home schooled adults. Many are socially awkward, and as a result have more problems getting jobs and just generally interacting with people.

17-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I suspect the internet is contributing far more to this problem then home schooling.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-09-2010, 07:38 AM
(17-09-2010 07:36 AM)BnW Wrote:  I suspect the internet is contributing far more to this problem then home schooling.

I agree wholeheartedly. All the more reason to not only drastically slash the amount of time children spend on the net, but also to send them to school for a social education. They need both.

17-09-2010, 07:46 AM
I would never home school my kids for all the reasons you state but I'm not going to chastise people who do. I agree that people that spend more time indoctrinating their children in dogma vs. education is a problem but I doubt that those kids are going to be any less screwed up by their parents if they go to school outside the home. And, there are some legitimate home school programs that help parents give their kids a real education.

Not every circumstance works for every person or every family. I think public schools work for the overwhelming majority of people but there are always going to be circumstances that create exceptions. They don't have to be the desire to teach religious dogma. I tend to agree you put your kids at a social disadvantage this way, but, again, there are always exceptions.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
17-09-2010, 09:08 AM

I'm torn about this on some level. I interact with a lot of home schoolers (both religious and atheist families), and I understand that parents in a free society must have the choice about how and where to educate their children. All the home schoolers I come in contact with are more confident, more likely to engage in complex discussions, and more politically aware than their peers. They don't seem particularly socially awkward.

However, should home educators be held to some kind of standard? Public schools require teachers to meet particular standards of education: Should home schoolers be required to do the same? I think it's a tragedy that a child can grow up learning outright lies about the nature of the world -- lies that will affect their future prospects significantly. Where's the balance?
17-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Not sure about elsewhere, but here in Canada, children that are homeschooled must be taught a guided curriculum. I've read the curriculum, and it is quite a loose guideline, but there are rules to enforce at least some adherance. That all said, I've done some pretty exhaustive research on the subject of social education, since my ex-wife was considering homeschooling our daughter. We both concluded that the risks to her social development were too high. Often homeschooled children are VERY willing to engage in complex discussion, and the result is often ostricization because they lack the social skills to bring their points and opinions across in a way that makes them confident but not agressive. Have studies been done on this? Yep. Have I read any? Yep. Can I site them now? Nope. It was a few years ago, and to be honest, what I want to contribute is only my opinion. If you desire facts, I should think they wouldn't be terribly difficult to find. I found lots, and I'm a terrible researcher!! LOL.