The Homeschooling Tragedy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2010, 05:29 PM

RE: The Homeschooling Tragedy
(16-09-2010 06:54 PM)athnostic Wrote:  Homeschooling has been on my mind lately. I'm all for personal freedom, but where do we draw the line with fundamentalist families who choose to teach flat-out lies to their kids?

Is it okay to teach your kids that the earth is 6,000 years old, that dinosaurs co-existed with humans, and that Noah's flood is responsible for making the earth appear old?

Should some of this stuff be regulated? It's wrong, wrong, wrong.
HSLDA

Our area has experienced a large influx of inner city relocation in the last few years, from surrounding States. There are gang wars between east and west side of the city, in grades as young as elementary! One of the most prolific baby dealers is a 5th grader street named, "Caesar". Even the cops know this kid.

If I had children, I'd home school them rather than expose them to that kind of environment. There are plenty of options outside of that home classroom, so as to insure they're also socialized among their peers, without the added flavor of violence and all else that follows after.

As for the 6000 year old earth theory, and certain Theists homeschooling that as part of the curriculum, it's defensible in their view as freedom of religion. Home parochial school, as it were.
There are regulations that govern HS, however as has been observed here, those can be skirted around. When parents commit to programming the dumb into their kids like that, and defend it's their Constitutional right,I have no problem with it. When those kids grow up and enter the real world, they will find a whole different curriculum waiting for them. One where it is not agreed that Brontosaurus romped with Abraham, and the Megalodon was awaiting fresh prey to fall from the Ark.

Religion can inspire a great deal of stupid, to rise to the top. We don't have to respect that, but it certainly does help to set their place on the food chain when they volunteer to educate themselves to remain in their place generation after generation.
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 11:04 AM

while home "indoctrinating " is troubling, i find school vouchers used for "faith based " charter schools even more worrisome. this is allowing our tax dollars to go to religious schools that teach creationism in science class. they are popping up all over the states, and robbing much needed resources from our public schools. if one wants their kid to go to a faith based school all well and good, let the parents pay for it. do not use my tax dollars to fund it. the next thing will be a tax credit for families that pull their kids from public schools to send them to faith based ones. there are many that feel this is acceptable, i do not. in fact if there was a closer link to education and parents pocketbooks perhaps more parents would get involved in their child's education.
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
The more that religious groups gain political power, the more tax dollars will go to religious brainwashing centers. (I mean schools).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Public schools may help with socializing a child, but lets not forget they can also work towards destroying a child's self confidence. I'd imagine you can have your children interact with other children outside of school. Bring them to play grounds regularly, or some sort of other play-place. I'm imagine that they'd begin to become familiar with other regulars, and can get friends and socialize that way.

Although I wasn't home schooled as a child, I did learn pretty much all that I know about a lot of the sciences(particularly biology) from outside sources(educational videos and books). I would like to point out that where I live, Creationism is a fact. In 8th grade scince, I was taught creationism(mutations always take away information, carbon dating is faulty, roughly 4,000 ago a global flood occurred, ect, ect...). So yeah, the public schools, especially if you live in a bad town to be a scientist, can completely mess up children.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply