The "Humble Yourself and Ask, and He Will Answer" Straw Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 04:11 PM
The "Humble Yourself and Ask, and He Will Answer" Straw Man
One frequently hears--especially from Born Again Christians, "(All you have to do) is humble yourself and ask for God to appear, and He will do so." This is a self-refuting dichotomy. Let's look at the definition of "humble":

hum·ble /ˈhəmbəl/
Adjective
Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance.

The theist says, "The Creator of the Universe loves me personally. My love and worship is important to the Creator of the Universe. The Creator of the Universe hears my prayers and watches over me. All I have to do is simply ask, and the Creator will hear and love me."

The atheist says, "I am an insignificant speck in the fabric of time and space, fortunate to be among the very few in history to have consciousness at a moment when--with effort--we can come to understand so much about our origins and the universe."

Which of these claims sounds more humble to you?

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Human Being's post
29-01-2013, 04:14 PM
RE: The "Humble Yourself and Ask, and He Will Answer" Straw Man
(29-01-2013 04:11 PM)Human Being Wrote:  One frequently hears--especially from Born Again Christians, "(All you have to do) is humble yourself and ask for God to appear, and He will do so." This is a self-refuting dichotomy. Let's look at the definition of "humble":

hum·ble /ˈhəmbəl/
Adjective
Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance.

The theist says, "The Creator of the Universe loves me personally. My love and worship is important to the Creator of the Universe. The Creator of the Universe hears my prayers and watches over me. All I have to do is simply ask, and the Creator will hear and love me."

The atheist says, "I am an insignificant speck in the fabric of time and space, fortunate to be among the very few in history to have consciousness at a moment when--with effort--we can come to understand so much about our origins and the universe."

Which of these claims sounds more humble to you?
We don't want to go throwing around definitions, theists won't like if we start getting all technical...

But the second one! Big Grin

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 2 users Like Adenosis's post
29-01-2013, 04:35 PM
If we're the humble ones after all, one can't help but wonder why God always reveals himself to the self-righteous faith-heads instead. Consider

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Funny how that works right?

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
29-01-2013, 04:41 PM
It boggles the mind. Shocking

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2013, 04:42 PM
I think there is a place for humbleness, but not becoming humble over, and believing, weird doctrines.
30-01-2013, 03:27 AM
(29-01-2013 04:38 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Funny how that works right?

Wasn't that one of the points Christopher Hitchens always brought up?

If God did exists and wanted to reveal himself, why did he only do so in barbaric and superstitious parts of the middle east, and not in China where they had rudimentary science and the printing press?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
30-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I've shared the "ask and receive" principle, but I've never used the word humble. Humility has to do with the exaltation of a Christian and not a non-Christian seeking Jesus IMO and IMBO.
30-01-2013, 02:44 PM
(30-01-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Humility has to do with the exaltation of a Christian and not a non-Christian seeking Jesus IMO and IMBO.
So by that logic, humility didn't exist before Jesus was born? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-01-2013, 02:52 PM
(30-01-2013 02:44 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Sorry if I was unclear. Biblicallly speaking, humility is an opportunity for people, Christian and nonChristian. But whoever (humble or not) seeks God will find.

(30-01-2013 02:33 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Humility has to do with the exaltation of a Christian and not a non-Christian seeking Jesus IMO and IMBO.
So by that logic, humility didn't exist before Jesus was born? Consider