The Hunger Games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 02:05 PM
The Hunger Games
Pesonally had never heard of the books. So was not aware such existed until a couple days ago when my hubby mentioned going to see the movie. Watched it last night in theaters as a much needed break from home and kiddos. Now I am going to sound weird here, but I found it depressing...as well as insightful. Really think it played on a bit of the darker aspects of human nature.
Has anyone else seen it? Read the books?
Have thoughts on my odd veiw?
Who was your favorite character?
Share with me!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2012, 03:37 PM
RE: The Hunger Games
Hum... All I know about the movie is that they are in a middle of a trial because they quite stole the idea of the story from Battle Royal, japanese novel and movies that are really the same : people taking to make a game where you have to be the last to survive. And I think that an american version of it wouldn't be so good. i think I'll watch it just for the curiosities but I'm sceptical...

« Etre contesté, c’est être constaté. »
To be contested, is to be noticed
31-03-2012, 04:04 PM
(31-03-2012 03:37 PM)The French Frog Wrote:  Hum... All I know about the movie is that they are in a middle of a trial because they quite stole the idea of the story from Battle Royal, japanese novel and movies that are really the same : people taking to make a game where you have to be the last to survive. And I think that an american version of it wouldn't be so good. i think I'll watch it just for the curiosities but I'm sceptical...

The Hunger Games is basically a film that is about a society formed after a world war that basically resulted in much of its people ending up in twelve different districts. The wealthy and powerful otherwise live the high life and make sport of those in the twelve by holding yearly....The Hunger Games. Two people are selected one male, one female from each district. Only one is to win. The prize....well...life's basic needs more or less...as these people have it pretty dang rough. Have no currency and more or less have to rely on trade. Just watch for yourself...it is pretty...intense.
31-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Hahha I just mentioned battle royale in one of your other threads.

It's got prett well the exact same storyline.
I will probably watch hunger games because of that but I hope they lose the lawsuit.

If you want depressing but insightful entertainment might I reccomend one of Stephen kings best ( in my opinion BEST) novellas? It's called the Long Walk.
Sort of the same idea but came out first and has no action.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2012, 04:44 AM
I refuse to watch the American copy of a good Japanese movie!!

Battle Royal was a good movie.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
02-04-2012, 06:49 AM
how to you patent a movie about surviving different levels. bruce lee made a movie like that too. that storyline has been around forever.its what every friggin video game is about. what a dumb lawsuit.
03-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Well it is a little too similar to Battle Royale to be be a coincidence. Neither of them made up the idea, true, but it's still a little dodgy that Hunger Games follows it so closely.

From what I've heard Battle Royale is darker and edgier, but I haven't seen Hunger Games so don't take my word for it.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
03-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I watched Hunger Games with my partner a few days after it came out (free theater tickets and was the most interesting choice). We went in after the synopsis expecting Battle Royale. It was a pretty god movie, but often the camera tricks made the violent scenes lose impact. It's nothing in the frame of Battle Royale. You barely see anything about the lives of players besides the district the main character comes from.

It's exessively toned down but in a lot of ways the same. I do like that the children are trained in this story, though it was quite interesting to have the idea of not being trained at all. Since Hunger Games focuses on the idea of televising a message for propaganda it uses the mechanics it needs. Battle Royale is really about the old generation just putting an end to the new generations resistance. The only time any of it is filmed is to show the face of the winner. Everyone knows about the hunger games, but the battle royale project is something the class that is sent in has no idea about.

The movie is perfectly fine, though it's exactly what you would expect of a hollywood adaptation of Battle Royale best answer to this move I know is this one. Battle Royale with cheese =p It's worth watching if you have an interest in it, just don't expect the same type of impact Battle Royale has. The books (Hunger Games) started in 2006, three years after Koushun Takami (author of Battle Royale) died. It definitely has the same feel, but they are different movies. I'd say if there's any story that took to the exact same idea as Hunger Games it would actually be Death Race 2000. Not sure many of you know that cult classic.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah I'll probably end up watching it too.

Though the training aspect ruins it a bit for me. The fear amongst the children was the best part of Battle Royale.
Especially in the beginning with the chubby kid who freaks out and starts killing other kids but can't even believe he is doing it.

Battle Royale the movie was a bit of a disappointment sort of along the same lines as to why Akira was a bit of a disappointment.
The story is so long and rich it's impossible to accurately represent it in a two hour format.

Hunger games is lucky in that western movie houses are keen on the idea of longer and typically continued films. It's likely this movie will see a sequel so the first film only has to wet the appetite.

Battle Royale also got a sequel though I haven't seen it and it had no book to pull from.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Have any of you read them? I really liked the books. they were short easy reads ( 3 books total ) that were very edge of your seat. I also enjoyed the movie. As for it copying the other movie I've no clue. But it also seems like people are always trying to claim that someone copied something else.. yada yada.. People remake shit all the time-- just enjoy it for what it is.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang