The Hunger Games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2012, 06:34 PM
RE: The Hunger Games
We just saw the movie today, now I would like to read the books so I can compare. And as everyone is talking about the something royal movie, I also want to see that now...
Anyway we liked the movie.
It was pretty intense but it displayed a very faulty, futuristic (but not so far in the future) world. It was easy to relate to the different characters.
I liked the little girl... the little brown girl that dies. Great character. Being young, seemingly naive, rated low, but then actually surviving pretty well and knowing a lot of stuff.
I like how the population is painted, on one side the hopelessly poor people who have no chance of reaching into the upper class, on the other side the rich people who got stupid and fragile.
Malleus said it so well, he said "they all look so fragile with all the make up and the colors." Correct.

I will see if I find the books somewhere, I am really curious now and want to compare.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
08-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Leela I highly recommend the Battle Royale book over the movie. Not that the movie is bad, but a bunch of the themes in the book aren't properly expressed in the movie due to it's length.

I really enjoyed the book, except that I kept confusing people due to similar names, having to reread sections and remember who was who. The movie loses some of the emotional gravity simply because there are so many characters and so little time to invest the audience in them.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
k so, now I watched battle royale. though wasn't so easy to find cause so much stuff is called "battle royale".
Crass movie, really.
now the books are left to read.

10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
(08-04-2012 06:34 PM)Leela Wrote:  We just saw the movie today, now I would like to read the books so I can compare. And as everyone is talking about the something royal movie, I also want to see that now...
Anyway we liked the movie.
It was pretty intense but it displayed a very faulty, futuristic (but not so far in the future) world. It was easy to relate to the different characters.
I liked the little girl... the little brown girl that dies. Great character. Being young, seemingly naive, rated low, but then actually surviving pretty well and knowing a lot of stuff.
I like how the population is painted, on one side the hopelessly poor people who have no chance of reaching into the upper class, on the other side the rich people who got stupid and fragile.
Malleus said it so well, he said "they all look so fragile with all the make up and the colors." Correct.

I will see if I find the books somewhere, I am really curious now and want to compare.
Rue was my favorite character. She may not have won the games, but her intelligence and the way she found a way to survive as long as she did was inspirational to me. Really played on stereotypes of wealthy and the poor. Also on a lot of human nature....got to see the best and the worst.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
Find all posts by this user
10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I can see the crass comment.
It is a bit older and Japanese, so the shooting style isn't the same as hollywood.
And the subject matter is kind of objectionable. I think they did ok, but like I said before, the book is better at getting across the situation and the character that drives the plot.

I will hopefully go and see the hunger games soon. But should I read the books first or just watch the movie?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-04-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlj6-d5jr...AAAAAAABAA
10-04-2012, 01:24 PM
well lucradis, I saw the movie without reading the books and liked it, others might tell you something different.

10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Of course Battle Royale was crass =p the idea was based on the author's dislike for the new generation of children in Japan =p Don't bother with the second Battle Royale Lucradis, the author died during the making of it, and his son ended up directing a completely different take on the idea. The rules are pretty much all changed.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
(31-03-2012 03:37 PM)The French Frog Wrote:  And I think that an american version of it wouldn't be so good.
I tried searching for the best pretentious meme I could find. This is all I got.

[Image: internet-memes-oh-theres-a-movie2.jpg]

Couldn't find the one of the queen sipping tea.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-04-2012, 06:12 PM
[Image: original.jpg]
I believe you were looking for this ~_^

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post