The Hunger Games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2012, 09:21 PM
RE: The Hunger Games
I felt obligated to read the trilogy due to my job (young adult librarian). I read them and liked them pretty well. The movie was so-so in my opinion but it didn't leave me unsatisfied. As for dystopian novels, I much prefer The Last Survivors by Erin Pfeiffer or Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 10:25 PM
To be honest, I'd never even heard of Battle Royale until after The Hunger Games came out as a movie. I had read The Hunger Games a month or two before seeing it, and I've since read the other two books in the trilogy.

I liked the movie and the books, though they were a bit cartoon-y at times. It doesn't really surprise me that people are saying it ripped something else off because of its immense popularity. It happens all the time: J.K. Rowling was sued at one point because someone said that she had ripped off his book, though no-one had actually heard of his book. Rumour has it that Rick Riodan got sued because of his Percy Jackson books, too, but I'm not overly sure that happened.
Find all posts by this user
15-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Ok I saw the movie by accident yesterday, as me and the wifey went to see cabin in the woods but ran into some people (her sister and boyfriend) we don't like who were also going to see it. Last minute decision we saw Hunger Games.

at first I was all like "well, this is pretty much the same plot line from Battle Royale, but they do it in their own odd over the top way so it doesn't really matter." but then as the movie dragged on I felt myself wishing we had just bit the bullet and went to cabin with the two douchebags.

The movie was plodding and spent a lot of time focusing on people who may matter in the next two installments but don't really matter at this point. When they should have been focusing on the relationships between all the teenagers who are going to die. Other than that, I felt that the movie was a combination of Battle Royale with some Running man thrown in for good measure.

I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't hate it either. It was meh. It could have been really good, but it wasn't and I don't know if that's the books fault or the directors fault as of yet. My wife liked the movie enough to want to read the books so maybe when she's done with them I'll try them out.

If I had to give it a rating out of ten where ten is the best and one is awful it would get a five or maybe a six. Just because the movie had Woody Harrison and Donald Sutherland in it. I love those guys. All in all it made me want to watch The Running Man.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user