The Hypocrisy of The "God's Plan" Defense

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2014, 12:02 PM
The Hypocrisy of The "God's Plan" Defense
"It's simply part of God's plan, and we don't know what God's plan is. Only God knows!"

I think that this has become the most popular modern day excuse used by Christians for the questions they can't answer. What annoys the hell out of me is the fact that they constantly speak for their god as though they know his "plan". One minute it's a thing of "Only God knows his plan", then a minute later it's "Well, God did (enter action) because (enter reason)". For people who claim that only their god knows his plan, they certainly like to speak for him whenever they damn well please.

The fact that you get Christians who contradict each other is even more ridiculous. You'll get assholes like Pat Robertson using natural disasters killing people as an opportunity to push their religious beliefs on people by saying their god did this because he's angry and punishing people, yet you'll also have your more reasonable Christians who disagree with that and call Pat Robertson a prick for saying that (which he is). Of course, Robertson is also one of the first ones to then turn around and use the "Only God knows his plan" excuse whenever he sees fit.

If this defense had any credibility, then:

1. There should be no disagreement among Christians on issues of something being part of God's plan.

2. No Christian should ever be speaking for their God.

Of course, getting religious zealots to look at their blatant hypocrisy is basically a lost cause.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-02-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: The Hypocrisy of The "God's Plan" Defense
There are as many Christian denominations as there are Christians!

I understand what you're saying, because when I was having doubts but was still a theist, I'd talk to my cousin who was religious why this god allowed things to happen. He'd just say "God knows best", and that infuriated me.

9/11 happened because of ''gods plan'' or because ''god knew best''? How could that ever be good in any way? I felt like telling him to tell that to a person who lost someone in 9/11 and he'd be lucky to not walk away with a slap on his face.

I cannot believe the audacity of some people to take an unfortunate circumstance and then talk about how god let it happen because it was good in a way we don't somehow understand... To somehow justify a tragic occurrence or unfortunate circumstance with that infinitely fallacious argument is beyond anyone reasonable...

Theodicy? More like Theo-Idiocy.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 2 users Like Freethought's post
22-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Another show of hypocrisy for the same defense; praying. "God has a perfect plan!...I don't like this plan, change it change it change it change it!".
22-02-2014, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2014 04:54 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(22-02-2014 12:20 PM)Freethought Wrote:  There are as many Christian denominations as there are Christians!

I understand what you're saying, because when I was having doubts but was still a theist, I'd talk to my cousin who was religious why this god allowed things to happen. He'd just say "God knows best", and that infuriated me.

9/11 happened because of ''gods plan'' or because ''god knew best''? How could that ever be good in any way? I felt like telling him to tell that to a person who lost someone in 9/11 and he'd be lucky to not walk away with a slap on his face.

I cannot believe the audacity of some people to take an unfortunate circumstance and then talk about how god let it happen because it was good in a way we don't somehow understand... To somehow justify a tragic occurrence or unfortunate circumstance with that infinitely fallacious argument is beyond anyone reasonable...

Theodicy? More like Theo-Idiocy.

Yeah, one of the biggest reasons I walked away from religion was the absolutely disgusting behavior of people like Pat Robertson saying that disasters like Hurricane Katrina and the tsunami in Indonesia were punishments by their God.

You also have loving Christians like Mike Huckabee saying that God did not do anything about the Sandy Hook shooting because we don't force Christianity on kids in public schools. So, God basically said "I'll show these pricks! I'll sit by and do nothing while all of these kids get murdered! That'll show them!" All I could think was 'Yeah, Mike, a bunch of first graders get murdered, and atheists like me see a horrible tragedy, while religious assholes like you see an opportunity to try to justify why your religious beliefs should be forced on kids in public schools. Stay classy bro!'

Even more disturbing is the number of people that will comment on articles or videos of Huckabee and Robertson when they say this shit and say that they agree with them! It pretty much blows my mind how so many people can't realize how heartless that attitude is.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
22-02-2014, 04:34 PM
The "it's god's plan" statement is a pure (as we used to say in the 60s) cop-out.

Let's do an analogy....

When asked to turn in her difficult math homework, the young girl tells the instructor, "well, my departed mom appeared to me in a dream last nite and told me that no matter what I do today, I was not to turn in my homework." ... "And no...she didn't give me a reason....but I loved my mom and always tried to do whatever she said."

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes RaisdCath's post
22-02-2014, 08:17 PM
I usually tell these people : "God has a plan. Stop screwing it up with your prayers.".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-02-2014, 08:43 PM
(22-02-2014 04:34 PM)RaisdCath Wrote:  The "it's god's plan" statement is a pure (as we used to say in the 60s) cop-out.

Let's do an analogy....

When asked to turn in her difficult math homework, the young girl tells the instructor, "well, my departed mom appeared to me in a dream last nite and told me that no matter what I do today, I was not to turn in my homework." ... "And no...she didn't give me a reason....but I loved my mom and always tried to do whatever she said."

I was gonna say the same thing. Its a cop-out...

I'm coming to the conclusion that the human race is made up almost entirely of cowards who can't face the fact that sometimes people just die by accident... Sure, it sucks and its fucking tragic, but its true. Claiming that it was all planned just makes it even more tragic.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-02-2014, 08:44 PM
There is either God's will or Free will. You can't have it both ways.
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
23-02-2014, 01:45 AM
(22-02-2014 12:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  2. No Christian should ever be speaking for their God.

...unless of course, deep down, they know it's all just stories. If that's the case, then why shouldn't they add their own spin?

The ones that just make crap up, are the ones that can be reached.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
23-02-2014, 01:49 AM
(22-02-2014 08:44 PM)donotwant Wrote:  There is either God's will or Free will. You can't have it both ways.

I don't really see how free will is possible, regardless of the existence of any gods. If it's truly free, unconstrained by *anything*, then it isn't causal, which means it's random. Ok, maybe that's free in some sense, but you still are not in control of it.

This whole free will thing, is very poorly thought out at best.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.