The "I can make you cry" thread and discussion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 09:28 PM
The "I can make you cry" thread and discussion.
Here's a bunch of random clips that have made me cry at some point in my life. I'll number them so that you can give a yes or no as to whether they made you tear up.

1.) Starting off on the silly side, but damn it if I still don't tear up over poor Wilson.

2.) Shifting over to the realm of orcs for a sad burial.

3.) And this one has me going every time I watch it.

So what is the trigger for crying? Is it just empathy? Do we relate to lost loved ones? But the first one is just a volleyball. Do the objects involved not matter, as long as the bond is real? As long as there's something to project our own lives over? Is Wilson someone's grandma in one person's life, maybe a father in another person's? You could look at the clips I offered and just claim I have some daddy issues, which is true. Early divorce and weekend visitations every other week didn't exactly instill a fatherly figure in my childhood, so I can connect with the Will Smith one personally.

I know there are lots of movie parts that trigger tears. List some, answer if they made you cry, and try and figure out why.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 12:21 AM
RE: The "I can make you cry" thread and discussion.
Well, now that I just spent the last 20 minutes crying while looking up clips Sadcryface2 Dodgy

Yeah, that Fresh Prince scene has got me every time. But, I cry for everything because I'm wired like that. My brain and eyes basically work like a faucet. Ha ha.

I think that in the physical world the worst thing is pain, and in the emotional world it is loneliness. People don't want to feel alone, or apart. I am not saying people are extraverts all the time. People can feel lonely even in a crowd of others. But, if they feel connected to that one person they need to (parent, life partner, best friend- whoever) then it makes a big difference. When we see this in others, we can recognize the tragedy and empathize with the character. I love that we can watch movies and feel! It's actually an amazing thing, how we can relate and get caught up in what we are viewing. Our brains temporarily can't differentiate between a real tyrannosaurus rex attack and a fake one on the big screen- all the good times with no risk Smile .

Marley and Me was the last tear jerker I saw. I just casually watched it with my daughter a couple months ago and we both lost it. It was so sad! I think it was that much because pretty well dogs give everything and love whole heartedly, so when they pass it's a pretty sad loss.

The last program I cried to was a dance on so you think you can dance, it was choreographed with the story of addiction in mind (below is the first version done a few years ago). SYTYCD makes me cry all the time, something about the movement of the dances and the stories captures the human essence in my mind.

And I don't go to tear-jerker plays (live theatre) too much, but when I do it's so embarrassing to do the ugly cry in public! I saw one a few years ago about a lady passing away from cancer, the whole audience couldn't get a grip. Seeing someone on a screen is one thing, but when it's a play it's SO real because of watching it live.
06-09-2012, 10:24 AM
I have cried only a single time in the past 5 years or so. What's stranger is that what did make me cry was made by 4chan no less.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I have cried more this year than in my entire life before then.

Everything and anything makes me cry. I don't do it in public though.

It makes sense that things that trigger memories of my husband make me cry, he hasn't been dead for long. But totally unrelated things make me cry as well. Or maybe they are related and I just don't see it.

I would love to turn the faucet off, it's totally out of character for me. Hopefully I will return to normal soon.

Not going to watch any of the above, I don't need anything to turn the faucet back on, lol. But crying is an interesting phenomenon.

In a way it's just an attempt by your mind to get rid of strong feelings - crying releases chemicals in your brain that calm, and if you do it extensively you actually get a sort of "high".

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Things that make me cry: Weeping
Thinking of the distance between my boyfriend and I.
Realizing that I cut myself and feeling ashamed of it.
Thinking of the distance between me and my best friend, Hughsie.
Losing friends.
Not having any food in the fridge.
Losing something that belongs to someone else.
Getting my hopes up about something and then it not happening.

More to come, when I'm not lazy. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't remember crying in the past decade. Consider

(06-09-2012 10:24 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  I have cried only a single time in the past 5 years or so. What's stranger is that what did make me cry was made by 4chan no less.
>Inb4

[Image: BRTky.jpg]

Wink

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
The film Grave for the Fireflies made me cry quite a lot. It is just so sad...

[Image: opforum1.png]
06-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Nice pick, Buddy.

I have never been able to empathise with any Tom Hanks character so I just find that Wilson clip absurd whereas Bernard Hill is da man. I first saw him as Yosser Hughes in "Boys from the Black Stuff" and now he can do no wrong (except maybe that disaster of a movie, Titanic). I'd not seen Will Smith looking so young, wow! That was powerful stuff and having no idea of the context (i.e. not knowing the show) made no difference... that was hard to hold it back.

Thanks LJ for the dance stuff. First one, wow! (again).

For me, it's all about hope. Hope is the only thing in movies and poetry and prose that makes me cry. More likely it is hope destroyed... which is maybe why Buddy's vids 2 and 3 were moving but 1 was not.

Examples:

Hope:
Sam to Frodo: "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you"

Hope destroyed:
The end of West Side Story

Of course, the music helps the tears to form but the music alone is not enough.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-09-2012, 04:13 PM
This. Every single time.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
This song makes my tears roll down my face:

Mike & The Mechanics - The living Years

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need something to make me hate the taste of sugar in anything Metazoa Zeke 34 459 04-07-2014 04:25 AM
Last Post: barcelonic
  The Depression/Anxiety Thread Erxomai 280 14,902 04-05-2014 11:07 AM
Last Post: Leo
  another vitamin & supplement thread Bows and Arrows 2 140 26-02-2014 07:54 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina
Smile How do people make people feel bad by words? HU.Junyuan 31 2,547 11-04-2013 01:49 PM
Last Post: MuffinPuffin
  Bull Motherfucking Shit Thread GirlyMan 47 2,928 30-12-2012 07:31 PM
Last Post: BizzysaidAss
  Yet another BOOBIE thread Percepticon 1 601 19-12-2012 06:32 PM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  The Sleep Thread cufflink 30 1,469 18-10-2012 03:56 PM
Last Post: FZUMedia