The I forgive you thread.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
RE: The I forgive you thread.
(08-12-2011 12:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  No wonder atheists are so unhappy all the time. Undecided

Really? I'm not unhappy... I have my days, but I'm generally happy.
Being a Non-Theist carries no rule which says I am responsible for anyone's thought, word, or deed but my own. I can forgive or not; it has nothing to do with my Non-Theist journey through life. I do not play games.

If someone has done nothing to incur forgiveness... it's all good.
This "forgiveness" seems to be a two way street... accidents happen... and then there is the deliberate action, directly motivated or possibly confused with control. Shit happens.

I suppose, deciding what is "unforgivable" would help to sort out feelings of pain, anger, and regret. But still... I am not obligated to cleanse my conscience nor anyone else's for an "unforgivable" transgression.
One can not undo what has been done.

A personal event:
I once felt threatened by a coworker and warned him to stop his continued harassment. He did not. I spewed out a string of horrendous words in the heat of a particular moment, which I did not consider a threat at all... however, he said he felt threatened. I had felt threatened in the first place, which is why the words came tumbling out before I was unable to stop them. Later, I sincerely apologised for those particular words... however, he refused to accept my apology. Stalemate. He advised because of this event, he no longer had respect for me. But seriously, did he ever really have respect for me? If so, why the initial harassment?

Admittedly, it took me a while to get past this ... being "unforgiven".
However, had I not sought forgiveness in the first place, would I feel as terrible about not getting it? It becomes a moot point in light of self respect and respect for one's fellow human being.
As I said, I do not play games. When life becomes some odd game, some power play where someone needs to control someone besides their own self... "forgiveness" stops right there. I've come to have no regrets or guilt about personal commitment to my self and respect for others.

Dear Erx... you are new to Non-Theism so it might seem difficult... it's lonely out in space. But I can assure you, it's not really.
I can only ask you: How can I catch a ball that someone supposedly already caught? Jesus isn't in your outfield anymore.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine. ~ Pati Smith

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
08-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Kim, I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
(08-12-2011 02:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Kim, I'm pretty sure he was being facetious.

Dodgy Well then... I forgive him.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
(08-12-2011 01:30 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It's true I wouldn't forgive her, but that is because there is another rule to my existence and that rule is, "If you deserve it, then it is justified."
Funny though, I only snore when I'm sick but my lady snores all the time. Might have to get myself a bucket of ice cold water.... Blame will be yours.

I'd love to hear that explanation. "Honey, Erxomai told me to do it!"

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I forgive a co-worker that was aparently in a bad mood a little while ago when she blew up on me for eating cookies that other people brought. We had a 'cookie day' and I didn't bring any. One, becasue I didn't realize it was today and two, becasue even if I did know I don't have the money to bring cookies. She left a whole bag of cookies and an apology note on my desk while I was at lunch.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
08-12-2011, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 02:34 PM by kingschosen.)
(08-12-2011 02:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I forgive a co-worker that was aparently in a bad mood a little while ago when she blew up on me for eating cookies that other people brought. We had a 'cookie day' and I didn't bring any. One, becasue I didn't realize it was today and two, becasue even if I did know I don't have the money to bring cookies. She left a whole bag of cookies and an apology note on my desk while I was at lunch.

Before any asks, no... it wasn't me.
Also, germanyt, the company atheist, displays more "Christ" around here than most of the "real" Christians.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
(08-12-2011 02:19 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I forgive a co-worker that was aparently in a bad mood a little while ago when she blew up on me for eating cookies that other people brought. We had a 'cookie day' and I didn't bring any. One, becasue I didn't realize it was today and two, becasue even if I did know I don't have the money to bring cookies. She left a whole bag of cookies and an apology note on my desk while I was at lunch.

A whole bag?
Big Grin Score!

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
(08-12-2011 02:39 PM)kim Wrote:  

A whole bag?
Big Grin Score!

Gallon size with a slidding zipper.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Step 1: Suggest someone plan Cookie day.
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit!

Big Grin

I've done a lot of forgiving in my Christian days. There are some things which I will not forgive, and other which I will forgive.

As for now, I have nothing I'm willing to offer forgiveness on so I could only talk about the things I will not forgive, which is counter-productive to the thread. Undecided
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
08-12-2011, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 07:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
I forgive all Christians for not being able to recognize the obvious fact in front of their face that the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is total and complete bullshit. It's not an easy thing to see when you've been trained all your life to keep it in your blind spot.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post